IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

Just now, jeremiahjt said:

Game eight is actually the easiest. Then game one through seven, getting harder as you go.

Thanks for the info. I just assumed that the lower number (1) and in which the game loads in would have been the easiest level.

1 minute ago, MysticSword said:

Thanks for the info. I just assumed that the lower number (1) and in which the game loads in would have been the easiest level.

That would make the most sense. In level one, the computer is supposed to take 15 seconds to decide on the move, but only take 10 seconds in the beginner level (8).

• Like 2

I've been in communication with a USA based seller on eBay, getting a shipping price and seeing what deal they can do for me on a bunch of carts. After a couple of messages he asked if he could come back to me tomorrow as he was sorting shipping of carts and listing new carts, explained that he has gone from 1-2 sales per day to 30-40 per day since the release of the 2600 Plus. Spending 3 hours per night on his auctions when he gets in from work!

Atari, take note. Get some new games out there this year, I smell success! 🤟🏻

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I've been in communication with a USA based seller on eBay, getting a shipping price and seeing what deal they can do for me on a bunch of carts. After a couple of messages he asked if he could come back to me tomorrow as he was sorting shipping of carts and listing new carts, explained that he has gone from 1-2 sales per day to 30-40 per day since the release of the 2600 Plus. Spending 3 hours per night on his auctions when he gets in from work!

That is quite an increase.  It seems almost too good to be true, but I have a feeling that the 2600+ has been driving a lot of 2600 collecting lately.

1 minute ago, jeremiahjt said:

That is quite an increase.  It seems almost too good to be true, but I have a feeling that the 2600+ has been driving a lot of 2600 collecting lately.

The real shame here is that we are all having a good time collecting, eBay sellers are making some nice money, but Atari, of  which we are all enthusiasts of, aren't getting a penny. I personally have spent hundreds of pounds on used carts, now owning approx 160 of them. (That's a guess). I'm sure others have too. 

It's key that they get new carts out ASAP as it's clear that there is a buzz that they must capitalise on. New carts purchased on Amazon etc, places people shop and can experience new games, enhanced games, that new game unboxing experience. We all want new carts and we all want Atari to succeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

The real shame here is that we are all having a good time collecting, eBay sellers are making some nice money, but Atari, of  which we are all enthusiasts of, aren't getting a penny. I personally have spent hundreds of pounds on used carts, now owning approx 160 of them. (That's a guess). I'm sure others have too. 

It's key that they get new carts out ASAP as it's clear that there is a buzz that they must capitalise on. New carts purchased on Amazon etc, places people shop and can experience new games, enhanced games, that new game unboxing experience. We all want new carts and we all want Atari to succeed. 

Oh yeah, like $150 in Chicago and since my return I’ve been buying some pricier carts, so possibly a similar amount again. I’ve got two singles en route and that order from Raven and then I need to get a Robotron and I’m going to take it easy for awhile!

8 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Chess arrived yesterday (I got it from Ebay). Classic Atari text-label looking version. I hadn't played chess in a long time and I'd consider myself Beginner (maybe Novice) level at best.

I played a game with myself vs the game on my 2600+, Beginner level. Though it seemed I was doing good for about the first half, Atari Chess soon kicked my butt for the 2nd half.

Aside from the flashing colors while the game is 'thinking' (and I usually just close my eyes or look away from the screen when it's doing that), I found it enjoyable and challenging. Though from what I've read that higher on difficulties levels (Expert), the game can take several hours of 'thinking' to make just one move, so I'll avoid that, haha. The Beginner level is enough of a challenge for me anyways (the game takes I'd say typically about 5 to 8 seconds of 'thinking' for it's moves on Beginner level).

Chess_01c.thumb.JPG.3b2ba8b4963d204c89b377280007110b.JPG

I played this again recently and was still beaten easily by the Beginner setting 😂 I don’t think I’ve ever beaten this, whereas my dad used to regularly beat it on easy…

I seem to remember the higher levels taking around 8 hours each go, so you could take your turn in the morning then come home from work and it would just be ready for the next turn. If your VCS hadn’t melted. 

Also for some reason the UK cart doesn’t have the year on it. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

These arrived today. I’m baffled by the cut-outs in the 7800 cart shell that allow for the label to be pressed in like this (my Donkey Kong cart also has these, but no damage to the label). I was concerned this was a waste until I could update the system, however re-reading the 7800 compatibility thread I see that PAL Mario Bros works so the silly money I paid for this (just over 50 quid 🙄😬🤪) will be “worth it” I’m sure 😅

I’ll try both out later today 😁👍

IMG_0310.jpeg

Not only do the cutouts allow for the label to be damaged, they expose label adhesive to potential dust and fuzz.  Baffling, as you say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I agree.  Since receiving my Plus, I've bought about 15 old carts off eBay and other online sources. 

I won't pay the $100 prices for the fancy special additions, but I think Berzerk Enhanced was well worth the $30 US I paid for it.  I've consider buying Mr Run and Jump, but I generally don't enjoy these sorts of platformers.  If Atari does release some new games I will definitely check them out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ls650 said:

I agree.  Since receiving my Plus, I've bought about 15 old carts off eBay and other online sources. 

I won't pay the $100 prices for the fancy special additions, but I think Berzerk Enhanced was well worth the $30 US I paid for it.  I've consider buying Mr Run and Jump, but I generally don't enjoy these sorts of platformers.  If Atari does release some new games I will definitely check them out.

Yeah, $30 is a great price. I’d buy any new game they put out that costs the amount Berzerk and Mr. Run and Jump costs. (I love Mr. Run and Jump and recommend it.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slider271 said:

I played this again recently and was still beaten easily by the Beginner setting 😂 I don’t think I’ve ever beaten this, whereas my dad used to regularly beat it on easy…

I seem to remember the higher levels taking around 8 hours each go, so you could take your turn in the morning then come home from work and it would just be ready for the next turn. If your VCS hadn’t melted. 

Also for some reason the UK cart doesn’t have the year on it. 

image.jpg

I put in a couple of rounds with mine.  I held my own for a little while, but level 1 kicked my butt twice.  Some of it was stupid mistakes, but I never really claimed to know much more than just the basic mechanics of the game.  Although I had the AI a bit cornered a couple of times and even on level 1 the "thinking time" suddenly shot up from 10 seconds to 30 or 45 seconds.

• Like 2

Atari themselves are stopping making a larger profit from their carts on the website. Only Mr Run & Jump / Berzerk are available worldwide (or via Amazon) and they have so many other carts that are USA exclusives, its a shame that they do not ship abroad.

Here is a recent haul from an all Atari show on whatnot.  Whatnot is “in the moment” addictive, but can be beneficial in getting decent prices. This thread is great, I took some recommendations from all y’all to inform these purchases, so thank you for that. 

6D3D4BE6-DD31-4DEE-B504-43B7ACF6C5C8.jpeg

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

Here is a recent haul from an all Atari show on whatnot.  Whatnot is “in the moment” addictive, but can be beneficial in getting decent prices. This thread is great, I took some recommendations from all y’all to inform these purchases, so thank you for that. 

Good haul. I've been looking at Worm War, I hope you enjoy them all. 

33 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

I’ve got Gorf en route after reading a review linked on the site. No voice will be sad, but if the fundamentals are there 👍

Please let us know what “No Escape!” is like - an Imagic game I’ve not heard of is always intriguing 😁

16 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I would like a reasonably priced Pitfall, this would have been ideal, I shall keep looking. 

I found this listing for the game.  Not sure if they ship to your location.  But you could find out.

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m37866758111/?srsltid=AfmBOopikxte5OEt7yTl4gQbmOQs8hW6vqzB4VSnhMMs8q5qFUG5afBS82U

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I found this listing for the game.  Not sure if they ship to your location.  But you could find out.

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m37866758111/?srsltid=AfmBOopikxte5OEt7yTl4gQbmOQs8hW6vqzB4VSnhMMs8q5qFUG5afBS82U

Wow. Cheap! You are the master of finding Atari Cart shops online! 🤣

Thanks for posting this. I have just bought one (for more, doh) with a bunch of other carts too, I'll share them here when they arrive. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

I’ve got Gorf en route after reading a review linked on the site. No voice will be sad, but if the fundamentals are there 👍

Please let us know what “No Escape!” is like - an Imagic game I’ve not heard of is always intriguing 😁

I just bought No Escape, but haven't played it, I think it's the one where you knock ceiling tiles down on the badguys heads. I should play it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ChopperCommando said:

That box art is amazing....

It's really neat how they did box art for the 2600 games.  There were some pretty cool ones.  With the way the box art looked, it would get you excited to play the game.  If only the game resembled the box art.  Still, the games were fun to play and that's all that matters.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

No Escape is pretty unique and quite enjoyable, with great replayability.  It's like a reverse breakout type meets a reverse avalanche.  It gets intense without being frustrating.  I read a review on https://videogamecritic.com/2600.htm and it convinced me.  Actually, I have 2 copies (again, the trigger of purchasing on live auction whatnot and forgetting what I recently bought)  if you want one, I can send it to you.

16 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Good to hear!

• Like 1