Brad_from_the_80s

Here's my maze shooter tier list:

1) Marauder

2) Wizard of Wor

3) Room of Doom

4) Dark Cavern

5) Berzerk / Berzerk Enhanced

6) Venture

Note - I'm counting Room of Doom as a maze shooter because after the first couple of screens, there are barriers. And I'm ranking both versions of Berzerk as equal. Enhanced has extra bits, but the room transitions are a lot quicker in the original 

IMG_20240107_200256.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

1) Marauder

2) Wizard of Wor

3) Room of Doom

4) Dark Cavern

6) Venture

Note - I'm counting Room of Doom as a maze shooter because after the first couple of screens, there are barriers. And I'm ranking both versions of Berzerk as equal. Enhanced has extra bits, but the room transitions are a lot quicker in the original 

IMG_20240107_200256.jpg

Cool. Thanks for sharing. 

I see nothing could topple your favourite from the top! 🤪

I think my list will look significantly different. My draft list already shared here, will no doubt change a little, but let's see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Cool. Thanks for sharing. 

I see nothing could topple your favourite from the top! 🤪

I think my list will look significantly different. My draft list already shared here, will no doubt change a little, but let's see.

I look forward to your new list.

Also, I bet there are some other maze shooter hidden gems out there, that we can root out 

5 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I look forward to your new list.

Also, I bet there are some other maze shooter hidden gems out there, that we can root out 

I would love to find some others, in fact I'm going to take another stab at doing so right now...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Welcome aboard!

Blueprint is good isn't it, boring label, but fun game. 

Yes, but it's definitely a game that you need to RTFM. I tried without instructions and it made no sense. Thankfully, AA has the manual available.

51 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Keep us posted!!

Ok, after another search I can only find the three that I have mentioned here previously, and they don't exactly fit. Although all the games on the list differ in mechanics anyway.

Alien

*A single screen maze 

*You can shoot with a flamethrower, but it's a power up only, and quite ineffective. 

Overall, yes its a single screen maze game, but the shooting is a small part of the game, it's more Pac-man than shooter. 

Tron Deadly Discs

* A single screen, but not a maze

*You shoot bad guys

Overall, it's a single screen where you shoot badguys, but basically in a box. Perhaps it could be included as it aligns with Room of Doom in its sort of fits way. 

Tutankham

*It's a maze, but it scrolls down the screen

* You shoot the baddies

*It has a collecting element, so does Marauder so that's ok.

* Its levels end, like Marauder again. Others differ in this way, like Berzerk for example just goes on and on. But again this is just a gameplay element. 

I have these three (Alien is in the post) and I've enjoyed what I have played so far, so whether we deem them to fit into our category here or not they are fun and worth a play. 

Is anyone else aware of 2600 games in this genre/similar?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

1) Marauder

2) Wizard of Wor

3) Room of Doom

4) Dark Cavern

6) Venture

IMG_20240107_200256.jpg

Impressive.  I mean making a stack of cartridges with an M Network game in there and having it stand long enough to take a picture. Most impressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Impressive.  I mean making a stack of cartridges with an M Network game in there and having it stand long enough to take a picture. Most impressive.

It was impressive wasn't it. They could all fall at any moment .

It is a problem easily solved by putting the game at the top though. 💁🏻😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

It was impressive wasn't it. They could all fall at any moment .

It is a problem easily solved by putting the game at the top though. 💁🏻😝

Are you pretty sure that will be your #1 game (Dark Cavern)?

I really like that game, because it plays a bit like Wizard of Wor, but WoW feels a bit more varied 

6 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Are you pretty sure that will be your #1 game (Dark Cavern)?

I really like that game, because it plays a bit like Wizard of Wor, but WoW feels a bit more varied 

Tbf to Wizard or Wor I need to play it some more. Let's see!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I almost put Dark Cavern ahead of Room of Doom, but that game has so many different game modes that are fun to play around with

The variety looks pretty great! I'm excited to try the modes out.

I love this about Atari 2600 games, the different modes offered in some games add incredible value. 

• Like 1

I found this one in a milk crate of carts I've had stashed away for over 25 years. Since I got the 2600+, I made an effort to catalogue my 2600 carts. This was the last box of 60+ carts and brought my total to 265. Apparently, it's a rare one?

PXL_20240108_053317343.MP.jpg

PXL_20240108_053335544.jpg

PXL_20240108_061939317.MP.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

1) Marauder

2) Wizard of Wor

3) Room of Doom

4) Dark Cavern

6) Venture

IMG_20240107_200256.jpg

I like your tier list.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

I found this one in a milk crate of carts I've had stashed away for over 25 years. Since I got the 2600+, I made an effort to catalogue my 2600 carts. This was the last box of 60+ carts and brought my total to 265. Apparently, it's a rare one?

PXL_20240108_053317343.MP.jpg

PXL_20240108_053335544.jpg

PXL_20240108_061939317.MP.jpg

That's good you found the game.  Not sure how rare it is though.

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Choosing the “right” controller is a must. I recommend this site for identifying possible controllers for your collection.

This is an interesting site. Funny to see that they featured the awful Amstrad rewired SJS sticks for the Spectrum though. That SJS 1, thumb ache from only having the fire button on the top and the terrible wobbly plastic feel of the stick itself. I actually liked the look of it, everything else.... Bad. SJS2 was much better, but flawed in many ways too. 

I should have these and a bunch of other old sticks in my loft, I should take a look and see if they are working ok. Quickshot 1 and 2, a Cheetah 125, some others the name currently escapes me and the best stick of the era, to me anyway, the PowerPlay Cruiser. I have the black one, not the garish green, pink and yellow one.

All that aside I actually really like the standard Atari sticks. I think they are perfectly fine 99% of the time, it's just that the PowerPlay Cruiser offers microswitches for better precision. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1