IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Kind of off topic.  But does anyone hot swap their carts on the 2600+?  I've read comments on another thread saying it's fine to do so.  I myself haven't tried that yet.  Is it safe?  Because I just wonder about the longevity of the power switch lever.  

I always do, never had any issues

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

@Dr Karnov

I have have exciting news for you regarding our shared love of the 2600 maze shooter... I have discovered two more that I was not aware of!

Phantom Tank (also know as Phantom Panzer & Tanks But No Tanks)

Universal Chaos

I have just bought them both on eBay, they were not expensive.

Also had a quick play on Stella, both have controls that will take some getting used to, but could be fun, Phantom Tank in particular. I'll share my thoughts when they arrive and I have chance to put some real play time in, as always I don't like to spoil new games too much, just a little try of the ROM to make sure that I don't hate them.

Thanks! I look forward to reading your verdict when they arrive.

I ordered Entombed this week. I don't think there is any shooting but there will be some maze-ing

50 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Thanks! I look forward to reading your verdict when they arrive.

I ordered Entombed this week. I don't think there is any shooting but there will be some maze-ing

Yeah it's a maze runner I guess. 

Tutankham includes shooting. 🤟🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Kind of off topic.  But does anyone hot swap their carts on the 2600+?  I've read comments on another thread saying it's fine to do so.  I myself haven't tried that yet.  Is it safe?  Because I just wonder about the longevity of the power switch lever.  

I pretty much do hot swapping all the time.  I turn the console on for an entire session, and then I turn it off.  I swap 2600, 7800, Activision, carts that just work.  On original firmware.  Generally I can't tell that there's any reason to power cycle until I'm done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Very nice! Is it working well for you?

So far so good. I've never played Robotron before so I'm just getting the hang of it.

So I've got and alternative, I might try to fashion some kind of joystick coupler with light fittings and tape......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

If you consider Tanks But No Tanks/Tank Brigade a Maze shooter, what about Thunderground?

There are non-traversible walls like in Tanks But No Tanks, but it is similar.

I've never seen that, I am just checking this out now!

1 minute ago, Dr Karnov said:

So far so good. I've never played Robotron before so I'm just getting the hang of it.

So I've got and alternative, I might try to fashion some kind of joystick coupler with light fittings and tape......

Well, you have proven your skill with such materials.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

The levers are durable, rated tfor thousands of actions. Also the Plastic connected to the levers are not ABS, they are a stronger plastic. 

In testing I tried to snap them and with a hell of a lot of force I only managed to bend them slightly and not snap them. So use the levers with confidence.

Regardless I always hotswap anyway.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I always do, never had any issues

Me personally no, absolutely not. I hear it's perfectly safe. I wouldn't risk it thou. I'm afraid of getting used to it and then doing it by mistake on my actual atari. 😭 No big deal really waiting 8 seconds or so for a cart to boot. ZX spectrum and C64 games back in the day 3 minutes + 

Just now, shane857 said:

Me personally no, absolutely not. I hear it's perfectly safe. I wouldn't risk it thou. I'm afraid of getting used to it and then doing it by mistake on my actual atari. 😭 No big deal really waiting 8 seconds or so for a cart to boot. ZX spectrum and C64 games back in the day 3 minutes + 

I have to say, the fear that I might get used to doing it has crossed my mind. I've switched between the old Woody and the Plus and have almost done it on the Woody a few times, so yeah, if you use old and new perhaps it's a bad habit to get into. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Lol, this is a good point. I got so used to it on testing the 2600+, I did do it once or twice on a real 2600 to the consternation of my colleague at the archive

• Haha 5

These games arrived today, yay!😃 They're all new to me (I've not played them before today). I got them all together for a reasonable price. I just gave them each a bit of a play on my 2600+ and really enjoyed them.

• Trick Shot. I thought it's quite a good billiards type game (even if there's only a max of 3 balls on the table at a time, plus the cue ball) and considering it's a 2600 game. Ball physics are decent.
  • Spitfire Attack. An impressive '3D perspective' 2600 game. Once getting used to the controls (classic airplane 'flight-stick' type control, so push up to dive, pull down to climb), I think it's a solid and fun aerial-dogfight game.
  • Food Fight! (A 7800 game). Cute and fun game. Simple enough concept, eat the ice-cream cone before it fully melts, avoid the 'chefs', throw food at 'em or dodge em. Avoid the holes. It can get challenging.

Trick_Shot_Spitfire_Food_Fight_01a-.thumb.JPG.6e31ea9a8b83c45d9e15d0a4a339834a.JPG

From what I've played of them so far, I think these could become among my fav games to play on my 2600+.

Edited by MysticSword
Fixed typos.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MysticSword said:

These games arrived today, yay!😃 They're all new to me (I've not played them before today). I got them all together for a reasonable price. I just gave them each a bit of a play on my 2600+ and really enjoyed them.

• Trick Shot. I thought it's quite a good billiards type game (even if there's only a max of 3 balls on the table at a time, plus the cue ball) and considering it's a 2600 game. Ball physics are decent.
  • Spitfire Attack. An impressive '3D perspective' 2600 game. Once getting used to the controls (classic airplane 'flight-stick' type control, so push up to dive, pull down to climb), I think it's a solid and fun aerial-dogfight game.
  • Food Fight! (A 7800 game). Cute and fun game. Simple enough concept, eat the ice-cream cone before it fully melts, avoid the 'chefs', throw food at 'em or dodge em. Avoid the holes. It can get challenging.

Trick_Shot_Spitfire_Food_Fight_01a-.thumb.JPG.6e31ea9a8b83c45d9e15d0a4a339834a.JPG

From what I've played of them so far, I think these could become among my fav games to play on my 2600+.

Food Fight is great on the 7800.  Way better than the clunky XE version. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Spitfire Attack. An impressive '3D perspective' 2600 game. Once getting used to the controls (classic airplane 'flight-stick' type control, so push up to dive, pull down to climb), I think it's a solid and fun aerial-dogfight game.

I hope you are playing this the proper way, with the Flight Commander controller.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Trickshot is underrated, I've really enjoyed it. Also quite cheap. 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I am very lucky that a friend of mine sent me two Hyperkin Rangers.

With left port s-mode LS, and right port s-mode RS, it's twin stick bliss 

IMG_20240116_180255.jpg

Good stuff. That's the idea I was thinking I'd do (I already have one Hyperkin Ranger controller and I could also get a 2nd one if / when need be) if I ever mange to get Robotron for my collection.

And if I wanted to, I think it might also be easy-ish to improvise a homemade 'coupler' for them too. Cheers!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

Good stuff. That's the idea I was thinking I'd do (I already have one Hyperkin Ranger controller and I could also get a 2nd one if / when need be) if I ever mange to get Robotron for my collection.

And if I wanted to, I think it might also be easy-ish to improvise a homemade 'coupler' for them too. Cheers!

The Hyperkin Ranger is surprisingly easy to hold and comfortable to use on its side, one handed, and the L/R switch and movable cable position makes it super easy.

I am also thinking about making a joystick coupler, but not sure yet how I'm going to go about it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Trickshot is underrated, I've really enjoyed it. Also quite cheap. 👍🏻

I really enjoy Trick Shot as well.  If I've had a long day and just want to play something easy and mellow before bed, T/S or Golf is the answer.

• Like 2