IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

If it's old school, then it's really old school...

When I was a kid, I always played around and rarely looked at the instructions. Now that I've built up a small Atari collection again, I looked for the right instructions online and found that there is one or two pieces of information that can significantly increase the fun or understanding of the game 🧐👍

I don't want to have to read the digital instructions every time, when I seach for an Information. So I got myself a nice paper notebook and wrote down the most important settings for each game by hand. This gives me a handy reference tool and I have to say, this old-fashioned way of creating a notebook was fun and somehow feels pleasantly old school. Just like before, I like keeping high score lists on paper instead of digitally. A pleasant contrast to today's digital world and a fitting complement to feel the old times. Do you do something similar or do you think it's silly?

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The levers are durable, rated tfor thousands of actions. Also the Plastic connected to the levers are not ABS, they are a stronger plastic. 

In testing I tried to snap them and with a hell of a lot of force I only managed to bend them slightly and not snap them. So use the levers with confidence.

Regardless I always hotswap anyway.

That's good to know.  I was just curious is all.  I might try to hot swap for the heck of it.

10 hours ago, MysticSword said:
  • Spitfire Attack. An impressive '3D perspective' 2600 game. Once getting used to the controls (classic airplane 'flight-stick' type control, so push up to dive, pull down to climb), I think it's a solid and fun aerial-dogfight game.
  • Food Fight! (A 7800 game). Cute and fun game. Simple enough concept, eat the ice-cream cone before it fully melts, avoid the 'chefs', throw food at 'em or dodge em. Avoid the holes. It can get challenging.

Spitfire Attack & Food Fight are fun games.  They're on my list to buy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

I don't want to have to read the digital instructions every time, when I seach for an Information. So I got myself a nice paper notebook and wrote down the most important settings for each game by hand. This gives me a handy reference tool and I have to say, this old-fashioned way of creating a notebook was fun and somehow feels pleasantly old school. Just like before, I like keeping high score lists on paper instead of digitally. A pleasant contrast to today's digital world and a fitting complement to feel the old times. Do you do something similar or do you think it's silly?

I agree.  It's good to write stuff down.  Nothing wrong with doing it old school.  I write things down all the time.  Also, I think it's smart to do it that way.  As long as you don't misplace the paper or notebook.

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Finally.  My life is complete.  Good clean copy.

20240117_145232-Copy.thumb.jpg.fb802add53567824b072df8738a75172.jpg

40 years on, the cart looks mint. Stickers perfect. I presume the PCB fires up like the day it was built. What a testament to the build quality of Atari 2600 cartridges.

Edit: did it boot first time on a 2600+?

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

40 years on, the cart looks mint. Stickers perfect. I presume the PCB fires up like the day it was built. What a testament to the build quality of Atari 2600 cartridges.

Edit: did it boot first time on a 2600+?

Absolutely, flawless first time.  These old Atari carts with the original dust cover design always work for me.  Most of them don't even really need cleaning.  It's only all the other carts/designs I have to worry about sometimes.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Finally.  My life is complete.  Good clean copy.

20240117_145232-Copy.thumb.jpg.fb802add53567824b072df8738a75172.jpg

I did have a custom version of this game without the yellow border and with arcade(ish) sprites for the galaxians. But I lost it in a move. Still, the stock copy I have now is so much fun, one of the greatest and most classic shooters and a solid port. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bitsized said:

Like it was made for the 2600+ and the CX40+ too.  It has a lot more charm than Mr. R&J.

This game looks excellent 

I really hope that this game gets a proper international release, like Mr Run & Jump did. Think about all of the 2600+ owners in UK and Europe that would buy it.

Like me!!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

This game looks excellent 

I really hope that this game gets a proper international release, like Mr Run & Jump did. Think about all of the 2600+ owners in UK and Europe that would buy it.

Like me!!

Just buy it from here on AA, that's what I did, shipped straight to the UK 😛

sTeVE

• Like 2

Just now, Jetboot Jack said:

Just buy it from here on AA, that's what I did, shipped straight to the UK 😛

sTeVE

I had a look, works out just under £50 cart only for a $30 game.

I'm sure it's excellent, but since Atari are selling boxed new games on Amazon UK for under £25, I'm holding out in the hope that it gets released more widely, especially since AtariAge = Atari now

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I had a look, works out just under £50 cart only for a $30 game.

I'm sure it's excellent, but since Atari are selling boxed new games on Amazon UK for under £25, I'm holding out in the hope that it gets released more widely, especially since AtariAge = Atari now

This! this! this! As I have asked previously in here too!

Come on Atariage, Atari, Ben, whoever! We are here, wallets open and ready, willing to spend, but at a fair price, the same as our friends on the other side of the pond. We are a large worthwhile market.

I will buy all the games I listed here previously straight away if you sort this out:

Tower of Rubble

Amoeba Jump

Frenzy

Dungeon Stalker

And I will have a proper look at the rest of the store, I have up to now not looked too closely as it's a, as the expression goes, 'come and look at what you could have won' type situation. 🤣

Not gonna torture myself seeing what I can't buy (at a reasonable price). 🤷🏻🤣

Make it happen! 😁🤟🏻

A note to Atariage users, post here, stamp your feet, make them know it's worthwhile them sorting this out! It's a nice problem for them to have to sort! 🙌🏻

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Come on Atariage, Atari, Ben, whoever! We are here, wallets open and ready, willing to spend, but at a fair price, the same as our friends on the other side of the pond. We are a large worthwhile market.

I will buy all the games I listed here previously straight away if you sort this out:

Tower of Rubble

Amoeba Jump

Frenzy

Dungeon Stalker

And I will have a proper look at the rest of the store, I have up to now not looked too closely as it's a, as the expression goes, 'come and look at what you could have won' type situation. 🤣

Make it happen! 😁🤟🏻

A note to Atariage users, post here, stamp your feet, make them know it's worthwhile them sorting this out! It's a nice problem for them to have to sort! 🙌🏻

Since they are already making carts with printed labels and boxes for sale in this market/region, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to extend that range to include the games on the AtariAge store.

The USA, UK and EU market are all paying broadly the same for 2600+ hardware and the new releases (Mr Run & Jump etc) so here's hoping that 2024 will be the year that the full AtariAge range of games is available through the same distribution networks too

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Tower of Rubble

Amoeba Jump

Frenzy

Dungeon Stalker

Make it happen! 😁🤟🏻

European pendance of Atariage would be great or Atari should put good selling games with save IP into their portfolio and resell it via the common retailers.

A typical Amazon buyer would look there for new stuff for a just bought 2600+🤔

My list of games (growing):

Ninjish Guy 2600

Knight Guy 7800

T:me Salvo 7800

ARTI 7800

EXO 7800

And more... but I need to write a little BASIC Program on my ready to go C64 to calculate how many orders, which combinations of games, to save costs.

As said before, Popeye 7800 60$ = finally 101€

The 60$ are no problem for myself. 55€ are higher than the 29€ but still a fair price and Atariage needs incoming money for sure.

But to double the costs to cross borders bothers me much more.

For my mentioned C64 I buy 90% of the games as download CRT files from itch.io and others.

Drop it on your Kungfuflash ( something like a harmony) and it starts like a real cart with similar loading time to the 2600+

My wife really apreciates to not need a new shelf for new C64 boxes with carts😉

But I still have space in my storage boxes for new 2600/7800 carts to buy (but not for their boxes).

So, I would buy new carts but also new roms, if a working flash cartridge would come up.

Some games you even want the box, for some the cart and sometimes a rom is ok to buy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Tower of Rubble

Amoeba Jump

Frenzy

Dungeon Stalker

Make it happen! 😁🤟🏻

Did you just quote Jim Bowen?

On topic, we know there is a desire from Atari fans outside of the US to buy carts. All I can say is we're looking into it. But if you sat next to me and I showed you everything that needs to be done to make something like this happen you'd see its a painful and long process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Did you just quote Jim Bowen?

On topic, we know there is a desire from Atari fans outside of the US to buy carts. All I can say is we're looking into it. But if you sat next to me and I showed you everything that needs to be done to make something like this happen you'd see its a painful and long process.

I did! And I don't want a speedboat!

One for the UK users. 🤣

Yeah I get you, don't get me wrong, I'm not meaning this in a complaining way, I'm meaning it in a hey we are here, we are a large market, we will spend, Atari need to feed the market here to continue to ensure their mindshare and relevance in a burgeoning retro market. 🤟🏻

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I did! And I don't want a speedboat!

One for the UK users. 🤣

Yeah I get you, don't get me wrong, I'm not meaning this in a complaining way, I'm meaning it in a hey we are here, we are a large market, we will spend, Atari need to feed the market here to continue to ensure their mindshare and relevance in a burgeoning retro market. 🤟🏻

Who doesnt like a bit of bully.

I know you're not complaining. I'd be the same if I were you. Its all good. All I'd say is look what Atari have done in the past couple of years and think that this path will continue.

• Like 5