IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

23 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

A nice selection. Did they sort out the problems with the paddle on the Ranger controller? I hope so, it looks good. 

My current choice here is much simpler and limited. Standard joystick, the amazing PowerPlay Cruiser (fully microswitched, owned from new back in the day) and this modified NES 7800 controller. 

I am definitely in the market for a nice joypad type controller, but I do have the Bluetooth adaptor on the way so I'm gonna try an Xbox pad first and see what I think of that. 

IMG_20240121_193600.jpg

I have a similar NES type controller that i bought for my ZX spectrum. Works perfect on the atari 2600 and +. Perfect for 7800 games that use 2 buttons. I prefer the original atari joystick for 2600 games thou. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, shane857 said:

When I am buying games for the 2600 and +, i usually try and get a game complete if it isn't crazy price. Box, cart ,manual. 

Like you would have bought the game from a shop/store...back in the day

CIB is nice, but I am more about getting the games. I can use this site for manual scans /  HTML versions.

I have gone a bit crazy lately with cartridge acquisitions ....

* H.E.R.O. (Activision)
* River Raid II (Activision)
* Private Eye (Activision)
* Commando (Activision)
* Bridge (Activision)
* Solar Storm (Imagic)
* Fathom (Imagic)
* Subterranea (Imagic)
* Quick Step (Imagic)
* Shootin Gallery (Imagic)
* Star Voyager (Imagic)

* Star Fox (Mythicon)
* Fire Fly (Mythicon)
* Alien (20th Century Fox)
* Bank Heist (20th Century Fox)
* Sir Lancelot (Xonox)
* Entombed (US Games)
* Name That Game (US Games)
* Space Jockey (US Games)
* 3D Tic-Tac-Toe (Atari)
* Basic Math (Atari)
* Video Checkers (Atari)
* Video Chess (Atari)
* Dark Chambers (Atari)
* Mario Bros (Atari)
* Demons To Diamonds (Atari)
* Brain Games (Atari)
* Berzerk Enhanced (Atari)
* Mr Run and Jump (Atari)
* Submarine Commander (Sears) -- Gift from my son
* Stellar Track (Sears)
* Challenge (Zellers)
* Unholy (Homebrew) - Not 2600+ compatible due to Melody Chip
* Circus Convoy (Audacity Games)
* Coconuts (Telesys)
* Infiltrate (Apollo)
* Planet Patrol (Spectravision)
* Smurf (Coleco)
* Reactor (Parker Brothers)
* Tunnel Runner (CBS)
* Encounter at L5 (Data Age)
* Space Attack (M Network)

I _think_ that's it (so far)....

Edited by SpareHead3
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

A nice selection. Did they sort out the problems with the paddle on the Ranger controller? I hope so, it looks good. 

My current choice here is much simpler and limited. Standard joystick, the amazing PowerPlay Cruiser (fully microswitched, owned from new back in the day) and this modified NES 7800 controller. 

I am definitely in the market for a nice joypad type controller, but I do have the Bluetooth adaptor on the way so I'm gonna try an Xbox pad first and see what I think of that. 

IMG_20240121_193600.jpg

I'll test out the paddles later and report back. I've mainly just used my Hyperkin Rangers for Robotron so far

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

What controllers are people using on their 2600+?

I've got a good selection, but find that my choice of controller depends on which game I'm playing 

I use different controllers on the 2600+.  Like you, I find one that works better on a particular game.

These are the controller options I use on the console:

• 7800 custom gamepad
  • Archer joystick with auto fire switch
  • Atari dual stick
  • Fighter Stick SG-6
  • Hyperkin Trooper joystick

Once the new paddles come out, I'll get them.  I'm waiting for the set that doesn't include the games.

• Like 4

I find that the CX40+ is a bit tighter but that's good for games where you don't want any accidental inputs, like Phoenix, Turmoil, Polaris and Ms Pacman.

The Hyperkin Trooper has a looser action, which seems to suit games with lots of multidirectional movement, like Marauder and Food Fight.

That's my take anyway 

Edited by Dr Karnov
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

I find that the CX40+ is a bit tighter but that's good for games where you don't want any accidental inputs, like Phoenix, Turmoil, Polaris and Ms Pacman.

The Hyperkin Trooper has a looser action, which seems to suit games with lots of multidirectional movement, like Marauder and Food Fight.

That's my take anyway 

I prefer the Hyperkin Trooper for it's flexibility.  The CX40+ just isn't for me.  I can't use that.  But I'll keep it anyway since it came with the console.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 7:40 PM, JetmanUK said:

IMG_20240121_193600.jpg

Right, I've not got a huge amount of experience playing paddle games, but I had a good test with all of the relevant carts I've got with the Hyperkin Ranger.

I didn't notice any jittering or unwanted / unexpected inputs at all.

IMG_20240122_214130.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

That's my take anyway 

Yes the style of game matters. Been working on the CX78+ specifically on this,  the original CX78 definitely for me can make unintentional diagonal movements too easily in games like Berzerk. So Ive tightened it up the CX78+ dpad action to have more definitive directional movement. It's hard but I hope to strike the right balance.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes the style of game matters. Been working on the CX78+ specifically on this,  the original CX78 definitely for me can make unintentional diagonal movements too easily in games like Berzerk. So Ive tightened it up the CX78+ dpad action to have more definitive directional movement. It's hard but I hope to strike the right balance.

This is legit.  I've rebuilt a couple old DMG Game Boys, and some of the Chinese knock-off D-pads look right visually but simply don't work correctly.  Basically they will go diagonal too easily when you don't intend to and it makes some games more difficult or unplayable.  I can't even see what the difference is in some of the parts compared to original, but it's something Nintendo got right and you'll know it when it's wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

This is legit.  I've rebuilt a couple old DMG Game Boys, and some of the Chinese knock-off D-pads look right visually but simply don't work correctly.  Basically they will go diagonal too easily when you don't intend to and it makes some games more difficult or unplayable.  I can't even see what the difference is in some of the parts compared to original, but it's something Nintendo got right and you'll know it when it's wrong.

It's all about continuously trying different elements of the physical kinetic parts of the action. See this image where I've asked for a 3d print of the underside of the dpad, the white part is a 3d printed test with slightly angled feet, compared to my favourite dpad which has horizontally flat feet.

Personally I want to try one more 3d print with slightly convex feet which would give a more rolling feel Vs the definite on off of the flat footed dpad.

Might be that I stick to the flat foot cause it's pretty great, but like I say you need to keep trying different specifications to get try and get the feel you need.

This is same approach I took with the CX40+.

Weixin Image_20240121205144.jpg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Imagine how many people at Nintendo relentlessly felt prototypes of the NES / SNES pads to get the dpad feel right.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Right, I've not got a huge amount of experience playing paddle games, but I had a good test with all of the relevant carts I've got with the Hyperkin Ranger.

I didn't notice any jittering or unwanted / unexpected inputs at all.

IMG_20240122_214130.jpg

Thanks for checking this out. 👍🏻

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Imagine how many people at Nintendo relentlessly felt prototypes of the NES / SNES pads to get the dpad feel right.

I think we are in good hands with you at the helm of a CX78 recreation, I'll be getting one for sure. 🤟🏻

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

No manual with Berzerk enhanced from atari? No problem. I'll just improvise 💪 🤣

DSC_0007.JPG

I did this too, although the OG Berzerk I picked up was CIB, so I have ended up keeping it all together in that box anyway. 🤷🏻🤦🏻🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

A trio of decent re-issues

Ooh, let's all speculate!

1) A double cart - Centipede and Millipede*

2) Missile Command Enhanced

3) Golf (Joke)

Real 3) Indy 500 enhanced with new tracks and box collecting stages, with driving controllers. 😬🤪

*I've played a ROM of both of these games with very enhanced graphics, they would be a nice release.

• Like 2