IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

8 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Right, I've not got a huge amount of experience playing paddle games, but I had a good test with all of the relevant carts I've got with the Hyperkin Ranger.

I didn't notice any jittering or unwanted / unexpected inputs at all.

IMG_20240122_214130.jpg

Did you play on V1.1 and the games are PAL?

Beside of the 50/60Hz problems, Kaboom did play better when my TV came up with 50p.

In general the fixed 60p output might be better for PAL games but paddle games were the few having better controls with 50p.

But well, it might be related to my pills😉

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Did you play on V1.1 and the games are PAL?

Beside of the 50/60Hz problems, Kaboom did play better when my TV came up with 50p.

In general the fixed 60p output might be better for PAL games but paddle games were the few having better controls with 50p.

But well, it might be related to my pills😉

I'm on the latest firmware and the carts are a mix of PAL and NTSC.

I suppose the one issue is that I've never used a paddle controller on original hardware, so I guess I don't know how it "should" feel, but everything I tested felt absolutely fine

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 11:45 AM, Dr Karnov said:

What controllers are people using on their 2600+?

I've got a good selection, but find that my choice of controller depends on which game I'm playing 

IMG_20240121_184008.jpg

I'll do a controller and pick-up post combo.  Went to my local mom and pop game store, but they only had like 15 2600 carts in stock and I bought Mash, Golf and Infiltrate.  I have a boxed copy of golf inbound from ebay, but it only has the text label and I love the picture cart label re-releases of the early 80's.WskQqYR.jpeg

I also got Ace of Aces and Towering Inferno off ebay. Towering Inferno was a game of my youth that I had fun with. Compared to Imagic's Fire Fighter, Towering Inferno is the superior fire fighting experience on the 2600.  I also feel Ace of Aces is arguably the best flight sim on the 7800.

XT37L8T.jpeg

• Like 4

RECORD BREAKER!!!

Just broke down and bought a 7800 DK Jr. CiB from a US seller for £94.91 😬

There’s other carts I’d pick up if I saw them, but that was the last 7800 game on my list and I’m planning a return trip to Chicago in the fall so I’m trying to hold off until then…

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sean_1970 said:

RECORD BREAKER!!!

There’s other carts I’d pick up if I saw them, but that was the last 7800 game on my list and I’m planning a return trip to Chicago in the fall so I’m trying to hold off until then…

Buying carts can be so addictive!

Good work getting the last game on your list.

I got tired of waiting for Gravitar to come up for a decent price so I just ordered it the other day. Who needs money when you've got carts??

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

RECORD BREAKER!!!

Great, I hope you enjoy!

I've held back on super expensive purchases so far, but as the number of games I want has dwindled I find myself left with mostly the pricey ones. You know what? We are only here once and we are clearly enjoying collecting so I say... Well done! A good purchase! Buy the games you want, play them, enjoy them!

My new philosophy may already be bearing fruit soon too. 😁

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr Karnov said:

Buying carts can be so addictive!

Good work getting the last game on your list.

I got tired of waiting for Gravitar to come up for a decent price so I just ordered it the other day. Who needs money when you've got carts??

Following our conversation yesterday Dr, you may have helped me spend a little. 🤷🏻Make it rain baby! 🤟🏻🙌🏻

• Haha 2

On 1/21/2024 at 2:26 AM, jeremiahjt said:

You got some good games in there! Plus Karateka, sorry.

Do not tell anybody, but I think Eggomania is better than Kaboom!.

Well, just my luck, Egomania does not work at all. Not in the Plus or in my OG 4 switcher. The systems act as if there is no cart inserted. I cleaned it several times.

All the other games work fine though, even Karateka..... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

37 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

Well, just my luck, Egomania does not work at all. Not in the Plus or in my OG 4 switcher. The systems act as if there is no cart inserted. I cleaned it several times.

All the other games work fine though, even Karateka..... 

Ah damn.

And Karateka working too, not good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

RECORD BREAKER!!!

Yeah, US imports are expensive with shipping, VAT, customs and stuff you easily double or tripple the price.

I could not resist to order Summer Games (40$) and Winter Games (25$) for the 7800 as I always wanted them for my collection but never bought them, cause they won't run on my PAL 7800.

Now with the 2600+ it is a different story and I became an NTSC hunter recently...

Sometimes you have luck to get some NTSC carts in Germany at the same or lower price as in the US and so I just have to buy them, because I save so much money for shipping... Yesterday I ordered Spitfire NTSC from a local vendor, just because it is just 30% of what I would pay for the US import and if it plays faster than the PAL version, I should like it.

And yes, I have Atlantis PAL (white text label) and it runs on the 2600+ but I could get the NTSC picture label for 13€, so I had to buy it, just to see the 18% speed difference with my own eyes 😄

At the end of the month you get scared, when your wife wants to go shopping 😬

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This is same approach I took with the CX40+.

Weixin Image_20240121205144.jpg

Based on this image, is the new CX40+ going to have the thumbstick like the euro gamepad did?  I hope so, because it's nice to have that option.  And if someone doesn't want the thumbstick, they can take it off and just use the D-pad.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Based on this image, is the new CX40+ going to have the thumbstick like the euro gamepad did?  I hope so, because it's nice to have that option.  And if someone doesn't want the thumbstick, they can take it off and just use the D-pad.  

Yes, here it is with the thumbstick unscrewed

PXL_20240123_142216745.MP.jpg

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Kuff Dam said:

My haul from the last couple of months. It gets addictive!

20240123_132119.jpg

20240123_125120.jpg

20240123_132706.jpg

20240123_132852.jpg

Wow, quite a collection! Polaris is a cart I’m going to look out for on my next trip Stateside.

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Yeah, US imports are expensive with shipping, VAT, customs and stuff you easily double or tripple the price.

Yeah I’m not keen to spend more on VAT and P+P than the item. In the case of DK Jr. it was a little over half the price of the item (US$75 for the game and then around $40 for the rest) and below triple-digits so I was okay with it (and box and everything in good nick).

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 10:20 AM, Lord Thag said:

Radar Lock is hugely underrated. Nobody talks about it. It's basically Afterburner on the 2600 using the Solaris engine. Tough, fun, even has in flight refueling.

My theory is that it suffers from 'nobody read the manual' syndrome like so many of the more complex VCS games do. So nobody played it. Which is a shame, it's a great game.

“Nobody read the manual” is the reason I couldn’t beat raiders of the lost ark as a kid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 9:08 AM, scifidude79 said:

I think it's ignorance. People don't know what it is and do a web search and assume it's a 2600 cartridge. This is the computer version:

SWArcade2600.thumb.png.443049c1574e7ce5a0f6138ef07a431f.png

I got that image from an Ebay listing. It's properly listed as a 400/800 computer cartridge, but it does look a lot like a 2600 cartridge. It looks like Parker Bros. needed to do a better job of putting what system it's for on the label.

I ran into a similar issue with Star Wars: The Arcade Game when I first started out collecting Atari 2600 games in the early '00s. I found a copy at a game shop that dealt in older, obsolete, pre-crash stuff (which was rare at the time) and was really excited because 1) it was Star Wars, and 2) I knew it was a couple of steps out of the shallow end of the rarity pool. When I got it home, I found it wouldn't fit into my Atari. Bizarre, since it was the exact same size as every other 2600 cartridge; physically, the business end of the cart fit in the slot opening but it just wouldn't seat into the cartridge interface, like something was blocking it.

Turned out it was the Coleco version. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

I ran into a similar issue with Star Wars: The Arcade Game when I first started out collecting Atari 2600 games in the early '00s. I found a copy at a game shop that dealt in older, obsolete, pre-crash stuff (which was rare at the time) and was really excited because 1) it was Star Wars, and 2) I knew it was a couple of steps out of the shallow end of the rarity pool. When I got it home, I found it wouldn't fit into my Atari. Bizarre, since it was the exact same size as every other 2600 cartridge; physically, the business end of the cart fit in the slot opening but it just wouldn't seat into the cartridge interface, like something was blocking it.

Turned out it was the Coleco version. 🤦‍♂️

And this game was one of the few expensive ones left on my list, sounds like a minefield trying to get one though.

Also, tbf I played the ROM last night and I think I will strike this one off, it's just... OK, I don't NEED it and I'm unlikely to see it cheap, so yeah I am gonna let this one go. I am starting to feel the same about Spy Hunter too. I played both of these games for hours as a kid, but that was on the ZX Spectrum (and Spy Hunter a little on my bro's C64 too, nice music) so I think the nostalgia lies elswhere and I may have had my fill anyway. Money would be better spent on new to me games I feel.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

And this game was one of the few expensive ones left on my list, sounds like a minefield trying to get one though.

Also, tbf I played the ROM last night and I think I will strike this one off, it's just... OK, I don't NEED it and I'm unlikely to see it cheap, so yeah I am gonna let this one go. I am starting to feel the same about Spy Hunter too. I played both of these games for hours as a kid, but that was on the ZX Spectrum (and Spy Hunter a little on my bro's C64 too, nice music) so I think the nostalgia lies elswhere and I may have had my fill anyway. Money would be better spent on new to me games I feel.

Besides neither will feel as good as playing it in a sit-down cabinet - someday! I’m generally not interested in ports if I can play them on another console I own in original arcade form. I have MAME, but don’t like booting my computer just for that so for a decent one I’ll spend the dosh 😉

Oh and this finally arrived…now just need to wait a few weeks for the matching controller!

IMG_2050.jpeg

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Besides neither will feel as good as playing it in a sit-down cabinet - someday! I’m generally not interested in ports if I can play them on another console I own in original arcade form. I have MAME, but don’t like booting my computer just for that so for a decent one I’ll spend the dosh 😉

Oh and this finally arrived…now just need to wait a few weeks for the matching controller!

IMG_2050.jpeg

Great!

Keep us all posted how you like the game, and which controller you find is best to play it 

7 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I'll do a controller and pick-up post combo.  Went to my local mom and pop game store, but they only had like 15 2600 carts in stock and I bought Mash, Golf and Infiltrate.  I have a boxed copy of golf inbound from ebay, but it only has the text label and I love the picture cart label re-releases of the early 80's.WskQqYR.jpeg

I also got Ace of Aces and Towering Inferno off ebay. Towering Inferno was a game of my youth that I had fun with. Compared to Imagic's Fire Fighter, Towering Inferno is the superior fire fighting experience on the 2600.  I also feel Ace of Aces is arguably the best flight sim on the 7800.

XT37L8T.jpeg

On a bit of a whim, and it was cheap, I got Golf a couple weeks back. To me it rather sucks. 😛 The 'controls' is awful. I have tried a few session in hopes to get used to it, and also trying to imagine it's more like a baseball-bat rather than a golf-club (which in a way sort of works a little better), but yeah, it's an exercise in frustration that game. I might give it a go another time (to punish myself) in hopes to finally get the feel of the controls.

Towering Inferno, I recently got that one and I like it.

Ace of Aces, I've not seen or played that one yet, but I do enjoy a good flight / aerial-dogfight type of game, so I'll put it on my wish-list and keep an eye out for it.

I got Spitfire Attack recently and I think it's quite good considering it's a 2600 game.

I now have the 2600 and 7800 versions of Pole Positions. I think they're both good racing games in their own way (though I don't like that if your car touches even barely anything that it blows-up).

So far my fav racing game to play on my 2600+ is Enduro.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1