IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

2 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

I ran into a similar issue with Star Wars: The Arcade Game when I first started out collecting Atari 2600 games in the early '00s. I found a copy at a game shop that dealt in older, obsolete, pre-crash stuff (which was rare at the time) and was really excited because 1) it was Star Wars, and 2) I knew it was a couple of steps out of the shallow end of the rarity pool. When I got it home, I found it wouldn't fit into my Atari. Bizarre, since it was the exact same size as every other 2600 cartridge; physically, the business end of the cart fit in the slot opening but it just wouldn't seat into the cartridge interface, like something was blocking it.

Turned out it was the Coleco version. 🤦‍♂️

That story is sad because I love Star Wars, I love that game and it's kind of a rare one these days.

Though, I'll give the game dealer back in the early '00s this much of an excuse: The internet was less evolved, search engines were pretty dreadful and there were less information sites available. I won't let anyone today use that excuse because the information is out there, it's accessible on many information sites and can be found easily using using any of the several great search engines we have available. People just don't want to look for it.

Though, it also sounds like it would have been helpful if Parker Bros hadn't cheaped out and used the same cartridge casing.

I got a good deal on a game lot for tested/working M Network titles.  There are 7 of them.  Best part was the free shipping.  Some were not in my list to get but I figured why not.  They'll arrive within the next few days.  I've played these games before but only as ROMS.  Now I will have physical copies.  

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

I got a good deal on a game lot for tested/working M Network titles.  There are 7 of them.  Some were not in my list to get but I figured why not.  They'll arrive within the next few days.  I've played these games before but only as ROMS.  Now I will have physical copies.  

Game lots can be worth it even if you don't want everything in the lot, as long as they contain something you want. I've got some Famicom games that weren't on my radar because they were in a lot with other games that I wanted. Sometimes, that's how you can get some unknown (to you) gems. A great example is Berzerk for the 2600. I'd never even heard of it before I got a huge lot of 2600 carts when the Retron 77 came out. It was in that lot and it's one of my favorite 2600 games now. 😎

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

I ran into a similar issue with Star Wars: The Arcade Game when I first started out collecting Atari 2600 games in the early '00s. I found a copy at a game shop that dealt in older, obsolete, pre-crash stuff (which was rare at the time) and was really excited because 1) it was Star Wars, and 2) I knew it was a couple of steps out of the shallow end of the rarity pool. When I got it home, I found it wouldn't fit into my Atari. Bizarre, since it was the exact same size as every other 2600 cartridge; physically, the business end of the cart fit in the slot opening but it just wouldn't seat into the cartridge interface, like something was blocking it.

Turned out it was the Coleco version. 🤦‍♂️

Yep, turn it around and you know it won't fit in a 2600😉

20240123_190109.jpg

20240123_190122.jpg

20240123_190328.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scifidude79 said:

That story is sad because I love Star Wars, I love that game and it's kind of a rare one these days.

Though, I'll give the game dealer back in the early '00s this much of an excuse: The internet was less evolved, search engines were pretty dreadful and there were less information sites available. I won't let anyone today use that excuse because the information is out there, it's accessible on many information sites and can be found easily using using any of the several great search engines we have available. People just don't want to look for it.

Though, it also sounds like it would have been helpful if Parker Bros hadn't cheaped out and used the same cartridge casing.

That's the funny thing; this store (long since closed now, sadly) had the most eclectic variety I've ever seen outside of conventions, except for maybe Sean Kelly's store. They had stuff, even if just a little, for just about every console that existed up to that point, even a lot of obscure platforms and imports. The owners definitely knew their business, which made it a little surprising that they confused a Coleco cartridge with a 2600 one. But no harm, no foul; I eventually got a Coleco anyway! 😅

Parker Bros. didn't use *exactly* the same cart shells for 2600 and Colecovision, but they're similar enough that a n00b, like I was then, wouldn't know any different. The differences become pretty obvious once you know what they are, but they are subtle at first blush. (Do people still say "n00b?")

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

This one was tricky, but here's my 2600 non-scrolling shooting game list, best to worst:

1. Phoenix

2. Turmoil

3. Threshold

4. Galaxian

5. Megamania

6. Spider Fighter

7. Demon Attack

8. Gorf

IMG_20240123_184916.jpg

Need to play Turmoil again🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

This one was tricky, but here's my 2600 non-scrolling shooting game list, best to worst:

1. Phoenix

2. Turmoil

3. Threshold

4. Galaxian

5. Megamania

6. Spider Fighter

7. Demon Attack

8. Gorf

IMG_20240123_184916.jpg

Yay! Nice to see the first list in this category. A couple stand out for me as a possible one and two for sure. 

EDIT: or two and three. 🤔

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

1. Phoenix

2. Turmoil

3. Threshold

4. Galaxian

5. Megamania

6. Spider Fighter

7. Demon Attack

8. Gorf

IMG_20240123_184916.jpg

A problem has come to mind!

Polaris

The first part is a single screen shooter, then there's the vertically scrolling section, so it's both non scroller and scroller.

It would definitely feature in a top shooter list, but it's both categories and is a great game partly because of the variety. I think I'll include in a the future scrolling list amd make that scrolling/multi level list. Sorted. 👍🏻

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

1. Phoenix

2. Turmoil

3. Threshold

4. Galaxian

5. Megamania

6. Spider Fighter

7. Demon Attack

8. Gorf

IMG_20240123_184916.jpg

Looks about right. Gorf 2600 is...ok . That 7800 homebrew version is arcade perfect

Won these on ebay both PAL. Payed about £80. I know pricey. Two must haves for my collection thou. Quite rare in the UK

There's a boxed complete version of pitfall £250 asking price at the mo . 🤣

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by shane857
no pictures
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

1. Phoenix

2. Turmoil

3. Threshold

4. Galaxian

5. Megamania

6. Spider Fighter

7. Demon Attack

8. Gorf

IMG_20240123_184916.jpg

All great games but that Threshold is blooming hard as nails!

• Like 1

Heres my 'shortlist': 😬🤣

Asteroids

Air sea battle

Combat

Centipede

Diamonds to demons

Gravitar 

Millipede 

Missile command

Phoenix

Space Invaders

Yars revenge

Seaquest

Galaxian

Turmoil

Threshold

Astroblast

Beamrider

Carnival

Marine wars

Subscan

Tacscan

Warplock

Solar storm 

Gyruss 

Stargunner

Commando raid 

I don't think I've forgotten any, but maybe I have. 🤷🏻

I don't own Beamrider right now, but I am working on it so I've included it.

Stargunner is another odd one, it has a scrolling area at the bottom, but it's gameplay is really single screen, so I've included it here. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Is that an Aldi C64?

Close... no it is a C64G (G = Germany)

It was the last revision from 1988, released one year after the Aldi C64 as the Germans wanted a bread bin again. I sold my C64 from 1984 in 1987 to buy my first Amiga and later I regreted it, so I got this one.

I had to add a resistor to the new SID to hear the voice samples but is a very nice machine AND it has got enough WAF to stay hooked up in the living room😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Great, I hope you enjoy!

I've held back on super expensive purchases so far, but as the number of games I want has dwindled I find myself left with mostly the pricey ones. You know what? We are only here once and we are clearly enjoying collecting so I say... Well done! A good purchase! Buy the games you want, play them, enjoy them!

My new philosophy may already be bearing fruit soon too. 😁

Totally get this,I’ve spent the last few months collecting the relatively cheap carts that I wanted and really enjoyed it,now the last few are going to cost a bit more so I need to slow down a bit,the only problem is beer and eBay are not a good mix and seeing all these new and exciting games on here doesn’t help either😂🍻

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Microjak said:

Totally get this,I’ve spent the last few months collecting the relatively cheap carts that I wanted and really enjoyed it,now the last few are going to cost a bit more so I need to slow down a bit,the only problem is beer and eBay are not a good mix and seeing all these new and exciting games on here doesn’t help either😂🍻

Jump in mate! Buy them!

I've greatly enjoyed sharing my experience with everyone on here. If you see something and can afford it, get it! Lifes too short. 🤟🏻

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Close... no it is a C64G (G = Germany)

It was the last revision from 1988, released one year after the Aldi C64 as the Germans wanted a bread bin again. I sold my C64 from 1984 in 1987 to buy my first Amiga and later I regreted it, so I got this one.

I had to add a resistor to the new SID to hear the voice samples but is a very nice machine AND it has got enough WAF to stay hooked up in the living room😉

Very nice machine. Reason I asked is cause I made a Aldi C64 mini prototype for RGL years ago. Never got to market but I liked the variation of colours, it's somewhere in my cupboard at work I'll try and find it tomorrow to show you.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I signed off artwork today for instruction manuals in upcoming games for the 2600+ because of Atari Age.

upcoming games...pitfall 1 and 2 enhanced with the dip switches to choose games would be cool. 

• Like 1