IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

@DEANJIMMY

Here's three of mine.

Pac-Kong is an interesting one as I'd seen two different versions of the game on YouTube, one with significantly more appealing graphics, but basically the same game. Well, I have the graphically poor one. I bought this more as a curiosity, with it's humourous name and it's totally irrelevant artwork. The smaller size shell seems quite apt here too, there's not much game in there. 😜 In contrast to a CommaVid game. 😋

Spiderman appears to be a slightly different Spiderman to the official one.  I am terrible at both anyway. 🤣

World End is the best of the three here, is this an original game?

IMG_20240131_232433.jpg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, LS650 said:

I was just looking at these and thinking that these 6 carts I've recently picked up cost me more than the actual console I play them on.

20240201_051455.jpg

Yeah, prices for 7800 games are getting ridiculous. That's why my own collection is on hold, I'm waiting for my tax refund and some upcoming stuff from work (bonus, payout for my 2023 unused paid time off) to get some more cartridges. (plus, I may have spent some money building a computer last month 😊) Though, my love for the 7800 and its games is overshadowed by those prices. That's why I jumped at the latest announcement of new re-releases from Atari and Plaion. $30 isn't bad, especially since the cartridges are brand new and come in boxes with manuals. Hell, brand new homebrews in AtariAge's store cost less than a lot of the used 7800 cartridges.

Moving forward, I still plan to buy more 7800 games, but at those prices, I'll probably get more 2600 games that I don't have and the occasional 7800 game. I also need to take a look at some local stores and see if they have anything good at better prices than ripoffBay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

@DEANJIMMY

Here's three of mine.

Pac-Kong is an interesting one as I'd seen two different versions of the game on YouTube, one with significantly more appealing graphics, but basically the same game. Well, I have the graphically poor one. I bought this more as a curiosity, with it's humourous name and it's totally irrelevant artwork. The smaller size shell seems quite apt here too, there's not much game in there. 😜 In contrast to a CommaVid game. 😋

Spiderman appears to be a slightly different Spiderman to the official one.  I am terrible at both anyway. 🤣

World End is the best of the three here, is this an original game?

IMG_20240131_232433.jpg

That Pac-Kong one is where Kong fights a transformer.  LOL.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

Yeah, prices for 7800 games are getting ridiculous. That's why my own collection is on hold, I'm waiting for my tax refund and some upcoming stuff from work (bonus, payout for my 2023 unused paid time off) to get some more cartridges. (plus, I may have spent some money building a computer last month 😊) Though, my love for the 7800 and its games is overshadowed by those prices. That's why I jumped at the latest announcement of new re-releases from Atari and Plaion. $30 isn't bad, especially since the cartridges are brand new and come in boxes with manuals. Hell, brand new homebrews in AtariAge's store cost less than a lot of the used 7800 cartridges.

Moving forward, I still plan to buy more 7800 games, but at those prices, I'll probably get more 2600 games that I don't have and the occasional 7800 game. I also need to take a look at some local stores and see if they have anything good at better prices than ripoffBay.

The pricing is crazy for these games.  For me, I don't have many 7800 games to get.  Mostly I prefer the homebrews.  The only original 7800 game I have is Robotron 2084.  I pre-ordered Food Fight.  Hopefully more 7800 games get re-released by Atari.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

The pricing is crazy for these games.  For me, I don't have many 7800 games to get.  Mostly I prefer the homebrews.  The only original 7800 game I have is Robotron 2084.  I pre-ordered Food Fight.  Hopefully more 7800 games get re-released by Atari.  

I'd love to get Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong JR. for the 7800 (I have them for the 2600) but they're about the price of a new game these days. Sure, they're pretty much the same version as the Famicom/NES versions and I nabbed some Famicom cartridges of them very inexpensively years ago, but I grew up with the Atari 7800, not the NES, and I grew up playing the Donkey Kong games on the 7800. But, those prices are insane for an over 30-year-old well used cartridge.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Speaking of 7800 games, here's todays arrivals. Commando was used but the other is sealed, well, was sealed anyway. 

IMG_20240201_150301.jpg

Commando is an excellent game! The box art and title screen scream 80’s PC gaming. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Speaking of 7800 games, here's todays arrivals. Commando was used but the other is sealed, well, was sealed anyway. 

IMG_20240201_150301.jpg

Nice!

Commando is definitely one of my favourite 7800 games.

You'll have to let us know how the other one is, I've not played that one 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

IMG_20240201_150301.jpg

Commando in my opinion is probably the best 7800 game that was made during the original run. POKEY sound, arcade feel. Just a great game. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I'd love to get Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong JR. for the 7800 (I have them for the 2600) but they're about the price of a new game these days. 

Or more...  I'd be happy to pick up Centipede 7800 or Asteroids 7800, but eBay sellers are generally asking $40 each plus shipping for loose old carts.

I understand that Asteroids Deluxe or Space Duel now run with the firmware updates, so that route makes more sense than paying more for an old Asteroids.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LS650 said:

I understand that Asteroids Deluxe or Space Duel now run with the firmware updates, so that route makes more sense than paying more for an old Asteroids.

Asteroids Deluxe not only works, but you get two games for the price of one. The cart includes Asteroids as well. It’s available in the AA Store.

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Kuff Dam said:

My latest additions. Cleaned them all and they're all working. It still amazes me how 40 odd year old carts will still work with a bit of TLC.

20240130_130426.jpg

20240124_152650.jpg

Not a bad game in the bunch. 👍🏼 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I'd love to get Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong JR. for the 7800 (I have them for the 2600) but they're about the price of a new game these days. Sure, they're pretty much the same version as the Famicom/NES versions and I nabbed some Famicom cartridges of them very inexpensively years ago, but I grew up with the Atari 7800, not the NES, and I grew up playing the Donkey Kong games on the 7800. But, those prices are insane for an over 30-year-old well used cartridge.

Yeah, unfortunately those seem like some of the least likely to ever see re-issue so one must pay the piper.  If these trend anything like other retro consoles those prices will only get worse.  Mario Bros is pretty rare and dear as well, and while I like it, it's just an okay game really for what people are asking.  In the case of DK the 2600 versions are so poor that 7800 feels like the only real option to have them for real.  Or just use one of the 50 other ways to play them, but having those carts for my 2600+ sure is nice. :P

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Yeah, unfortunately those seem like some of the least likely to ever see re-issue so one must pay the piper.  If these trend anything like other retro consoles those prices will only get worse.  Mario Bros is pretty rare and dear as well, and while I like it, it's just an okay game really for what people are asking.  In the case of DK the 2600 versions are so poor that 7800 feels like the only real option to have them for real.  Or just use one of the 50 other ways to play them, but having those carts for my 2600+ sure is nice. :P

I’m so glad that my 7800 collecting spree happened in 2022. I already had a lot of 2600 games, but I was relatively out of the loop on 7800. Picked up all the games I have and a console for decent prices.

Only elusive title for me is Ikari Warriors which was always pricy but is now ridiculous. haven’t even seen a loose one anywhere for a bit. 

Edited by MikeM_
  • Like 1