IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, scifidude79 said:

It's a more interactive tactile experience. I love my PC, but just clicking to start a game doesn't have the same effect. When you load that physical media into a classic console, it's just more interactive. Having to press buttons on a console to turn it on, reset it, sometimes pause, or whatever functions they have, really makes it a more complete experience. For modern games, I'm done with physical media on anything but the Switch, and that's due to storage restrictions on the Switch. I didn't want to stop buying physical, but the idea that there's either no game on the disc, a partial game on the disc or at least there's a huge update to download right away really took the fun out of physical media for modern consoles for me. PC is even worse than consoles these days. I think the last PC game I bought physically was Wreckfest, and it was literally just a DVD case with a Steam code in it. 🙄 The good old days of putting in that cartridge or disc and it loading straight from the media into a complete game just can't be beat. Plus, collecting those games is fun and exciting, whether it's something you once owned or something that's completely new to you. Aside from the interaction with the console, getting these games sent to you also makes getting the mail more fun. 😁

I tend to agree, but anything loading off single or double speed CD-ROM, no, surely there’s no nostalgia for THAT 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

What was the total price including postage for the controller?

All in was £76

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

IMG_0326.jpegBC511404-699C-4D47-A550-7736BDCD711A_2048x2048.heic?v=1704140060

Is this from Retro Game Boyz?  Because the image on their site looks better.  

Yes it is. The image on their site is accurate, it’s just the area around the control plate has rougher finish on mine. It’s 3D printed, so frankly I have very low expectations on the finish 🤷‍♂️

Now if I could find someone who would build me a dual-stick arcade controller using a PS4 gamepad as the guts so it would work with my Mac and my Evercade, that would be groovy, but I expect I’ll just have to do that myself. Haven’t built anything like that since the 90s so I could play Robotron and Defender on my PlayStation using something approximating arcade button layout!

I’ll eventually do a let’s play video of 7800 arcade ports I own and have a wee review of this in it.

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Yes it is. The image on their site is accurate, it’s just the area around the control plate has rougher finish on mine.

That's a shame yours didn't turn out so well.  Maybe you can get a replacement.  I got the 7800 NES gamepad from that site & it looks good.

Edited by Intellivision Master

27 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's a shame your didn't turn out so well.  Maybe you can get a replacement.  I got the 7800 NES gamepad from that site & it looks good.

If it didn’t work I definitely would, but I can’t be bothered for something minor like that. I’m just happy someone is making something decent like that for the community - I mean it’s just for one game, really.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I don't think I knew about that.  I've always played the game on normal.  Maybe I did play it on easy once but can't recall.  When I get the game, I'll have to try the beginner mode.  It's still fun though when the chefs are trying to take you out by throwing food at you.

Yeah, I usually play on Normal, but it's fun sometimes to play on Beginner, just for a slightly easier game.

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

I tend to agree, but anything loading off single or double speed CD-ROM, no, surely there’s no nostalgia for THAT 😂

I mean, if you have nostalgia for loading screens, I guess it's OK. 🤣

Remember back in the day? You'd start your console or computer, get your CD game loading, then go to the bathroom or go grab some snacks. Then, by the time you were back, you hoped your game was loaded. They've taken all of the fun out of it these days. Now you have to have your fluids evacuated and your snacks prepared ahead of time, because you don't have time for anything when you're loading off of a SSD. Even loading Windows doesn't take that long off of a SSD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Are y'all buying these off of Ebay?

Mostly, though if you trawl back through the threads, some folk have been ordering from shops thanks to other folk posting links to their online stores. Kinda sad that eBay and Amazon are so dominant that the idea of a brick and mortar selling things online via their own website is novel to me now 😒😅

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Are y'all buying these off of Ebay? Those Avalon Hill games look fantastic.

Sadly there are no retro videogame shops near me.  Well, there's _one_, but they have nothing that is pre-NES, and definitely no 7800.  :(

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

Yeah, I usually play on Normal, but it's fun sometimes to play on Beginner, just for a slightly easier game.

Remember back in the day? You'd start your console or computer, get your CD game loading, then go to the bathroom or go grab some snacks. Then, by the time you were back, you hoped your game was loaded. They've taken all of the fun out of it these days. Now you have to have your fluids evacuated and your snacks prepared ahead of time, because you don't have time for anything when you're loading off of a SSD. Even loading Windows doesn't take that long off of a SSD.

If it was only an initial load yes, but I remember getting rid of PlayStation games that had lengthy (like 30sec min) between levels so it was always loading. Ah the early 3D on CD era, bleah 😂

I've kind of been out of the loop for a while on retro gaming but I've been looking at completed listings on Ebay recently across several platforms. The prices especially for CIB sealed games that are graded is nuts. Even common titles like 2600 Pac-Man are going for a lot.

9 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

How good is London Blitz?

I'm trying to work out how the bomb defusing part works, so it's tricky to tell right now. I seem to have moved the sliders and accidentally defused a few, but to make it real fun I'd like to know what the heck I'm doing. 🤣

I really like Aliens Return. Dunno why, it's very simple, but fun 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LS650 said:

Sadly there are no retro videogame shops near me.  Well, there's _one_, but they have nothing that is pre-NES.  :(

Shops in Glasgow I’m aware of are Game, which is a mall chain store that I believe has stopped buying used games and didn’t stock anything older than Wii anyway and CEX, which is a tech recycling place that conspicuously has no Atari stuff. I think NES carts are as old as it gets.

36 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I still prefer cartridges (e.g. Nintendo Switch).

The games do not start as fast as from PS5 SSD but most of the time the complete game is on the cart and patches are not mandatory.

On my first day of retirement I could insert a cart into a Switch I just bought 2nd hand, as my own maybe broke down over the years and play the game. Transferring the downloads might not possible...

Then I put a BD into my PS5 and realise the laser is dead and can't read the disc or it gets installed but without the patches the game is crap. Therefore I rather move my installations from SSD to USB backup drive and hope to copy them back some day. SSD drive space is too expensive and small to keep your games on it over years.

And there will be my Atari carts to play🤗

Let's see how long they really last, fingers crossed🤙

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LS650 said:

Sadly there are no retro videogame shops near me.  Well, there's _one_, but they have nothing that is pre-NES, and definitely no 7800.  :(

Yeah Atari just doesn't get the attention that I feel like it deserves. It REALLY gets under my skin when younger people talk like retro gaming started with the NES.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

I've kind of been out of the loop for a while on retro gaming but I've been looking at completed listings on Ebay recently across several platforms. The prices especially for CIB sealed games that are graded is nuts. Even common titles like 2600 Pac-Man are going for a lot.

Yeah earlier in the thread it was being noted that some prices are quite silly, though I suppose there might be someone willing to pay €7500 for a shrink-wrapped copy of HERO 🤪🤣https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224439075210?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tSsrfY9WQuy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=eGhy1eBeTbG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

If it was only an initial load yes, but I remember getting rid of PlayStation games that had lengthy (like 30sec min) between levels so it was always loading. Ah the early 3D on CD era, bleah 😂

Oh, I know. I still play games from that era. Though, thankfully, I haven't had to bust out my PS1 in ages because I have a working PS2 and it's backwards compatible. PS1 games load much faster on it. Though, I've purchased some of the PS1 games that have been released on the PS5, and the load times on there would make my PS1 weep. Probably even the PS2 would shed some tears. 😂

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I still prefer cartridges (e.g. Nintendo Switch).

The games do not start as fast as from PS5 SSD but most of the time the complete game is on the cart and patches are not mandatory.

On my first day of retirement I could insert a cart into a Switch I just bought 2nd hand, as my own maybe broke down over the years and play the game. Transferring the downloads might not possible...

Then I put a BD into my PS5 and realise the laser is dead and can't read the disc or it gets installed but without the patches the game is crap. Therefore I rather move my installations from SSD to USB backup drive and hope to copy them back some day. SSD drive space is too expensive and small to keep your games on it over years.

And there will be my Atari carts to play🤗

Let's see how long they really last, fingers crossed🤙

And even when the Switch has patches, they're small and take very little time. It's the 100 GB games with mandatory huge updates that really make me salty. It definitely makes me appreciate my Switch and my old cartridge and CD/DVD games that don't have mandatory patches more. Popping a cartridge into the 2600+ and waiting the few seconds it takes to load a cartridge is nothing compared to being excited to play a game, only to see it has a 50 GB patch. 🤬

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

We had some fun in the office and decided to grade Mr Run And Jump and Berzerk Enhanced, came back 9.8 A++PXL_20240129_1509163902.thumb.jpg.39d13f9f8861dcbad624cadfa51694f1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

We had some fun in the office and decided to grade Mr Run And Jump and Berzerk Enhanced, came back 9.8 A++PXL_20240129_1509163902.thumb.jpg.39d13f9f8861dcbad624cadfa51694f1.jpg

Based on how the current market is looking that was probably a good idea. How much did it cost to get both games graded and what was the turnaround time? Thanks:)