IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Ah, so that's why I didn't have a 7800 as a kid. 

I cannot remember seeing any ads for the 7800 as a kid. In fact stumbling on a demo setup in what was likely a Toys R Us I was surprised that

A. Atari made a new console 

B. They were still using games from the 2600 era to sell their new console. Kinda sad really.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Plumbob said:

Hey, I’ve got that joystick too!  It was my favorite until I snapped the stick off on level 3 of Jungle Hunt. I couldn’t get my guy to duck down far enough and all of the sudden I realize I’m holding just the stick in my hand.IMG_9205.thumb.jpeg.7a948caecde5002fbef2d4fce73c32f7.jpeg

Same thing happened to my C64 mini joystick playing Daley Thompson's Decathlon. F**k you Daley and your joystick breaking game! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

I cannot remember seeing any ads for the 7800 as a kid. In fact stumbling on a demo setup in what was likely a Toys R Us I was surprised that

A. Atari made a new console 

B. They were still using games from the 2600 era to sell their new console. Kinda sad really.

I don't think anybody saw that commercial. Or, if we did, we blocked it out of our memories. 🤣

Seriously, as I'm sure you know, lack of advertisement was one of the biggest things that held the Atari 7800 back. Another one was what you also said, that their library consisted of a lot of newer versions of old games. But, that second one was also a mark against the 5200. It seemed that Atari just didn't know how to do a second console and make its game library exciting to consumers. It's a shame, because the 7800 was awesome.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, scifidude79 said:

I don't think anybody saw that commercial. Or, if we did, we blocked it out of our memories. 🤣

Seriously, as I'm sure you know, lack of advertisement was one of the biggest things that held the Atari 7800 back. Another one was what you also said, that their library consisted of a lot of newer versions of old games. But, that second one was also a mark against the 5200. It seemed that Atari just didn't know how to do a second console and make its game library exciting to consumers. It's a shame, because the 7800 was awesome.

The 5200 didn’t seem as bad to me because it came out so close to my getting my 2600. Any desire for it quickly ended once I got hands-on with it at a demo kiosk (again, probably in Toys R Us”) and that disaster of a controller 😂

What the hell was up with American console makers and buttons on the side? The paddle controllers can get away with it because paddle ganes aren’t rapid-fire shooters (at least none I’ve played), but Intellivision and Colecovision both had this stupid design and then Atari followed suit and COMMITTED to it with the Pro System controllers! Baffling, utterly baffling.

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

IMG_9205.thumb.jpeg.7a948caecde5002fbef2d4fce73c32f7.jpegbroken joystick.png

I have the same joystick.  Hopefully it doesn't break.  They were not made that well unfortunately. 

It depends on when it was made. The joystick breaking was more of a problem with the earliest batches. Once the issue was identified, Hyperkin made improvements, so later batches shouldn't have that problem.

41 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

The 5200 didn’t seem as bad to me because it came out so close to my getting my 2600. Any desire for it quickly ended once I got hands-on with it at a demo kiosk (again, probably in Toys R Us”) and that disaster of a controller 😂

What the hell was up with American console makers and buttons on the side? The paddle controllers can get away with it because paddle ganes aren’t rapid-fire shooters (at least none I’ve played), but Intellivision and Colecovision both had this stupid design and then Atari followed suit and COMMITTED to it with the Pro System controllers! Baffling, utterly baffling.

We had the 5200 and we loved it. The game library issue wasn't a problem because we never had a 2600. Besides, the 5200 versions of games have much better graphics and sound. These days, it's like when a game maker does an enhanced edition for a newer console. It's nothing new now, but it wasn't easy to convince 2600 owners of the advantages of getting the 5200 because it was brand new territory. Then the games for the 7800 were even better. But, again, people in the 1980s didn't see it that way. If they'd had a few more exciting launch titles, who knows what would have happened?

As for the buttons on the side, who knows? I just know I grew up playing that way, so it was nothing out of the ordinary. We didn't get the cool joypad style controller over here for the 7800.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

It depends on when it was made. The joystick breaking was more of a problem with the earliest batches. Once the issue was identified, Hyperkin made improvements, so later batches shouldn't have that problem.

I just checked and on the box it says 2023.  So, mine is a later version.  That's good to know.  

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

We had the 5200 and we loved it. The game library issue wasn't a problem because we never had a 2600. Besides, the 5200 versions of games have much better graphics and sound. These days, it's like when a game maker does an enhanced edition for a newer console. It's nothing new now, but it wasn't easy to convince 2600 owners of the advantages of getting the 5200 because it was brand new territory. Then the games for the 7800 were even better. But, again, people in the 1980s didn't see it that way. If they'd had a few more exciting launch titles, who knows what would have happened?

As for the buttons on the side, who knows? I just know I grew up playing that way, so it was nothing out of the ordinary. We didn't get the cool joypad style controller over here for the 7800.

For a company that pioneered the joystick for home use, it’s a weird direction to stick buttons on the side - I mean I could see secondary ones, but have one on two on top, eh?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have the same joystick.  Hopefully it doesn't break.  They were not made that well unfortunately. 

I bought a Trooper some time ago, and it seems to be fine.  I guess I received one of the later revision sticks ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

This came in the post today (finally). Box is in surprisingly good nick and the warranty card was a first. I have to say I’m not that impressed with Junior compared to original DK on 7800. Is the game that much harder to port?

IMG_0327.jpeg

Nice. That and Donkey Kong are 2 of the rarer games here in the UK I am hoping to get.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

It's a shame because I liked it alot. The smoothed corners, the extra long cord were nice and the extra button for lefties. I still have one that isn't broken I just use it for games that are not so hard on a stick. Super Challenge Football can be brutal on a joystick (it ranks up there with Activision's Decathalon) but I've NEVER had a original 2600 joystick break off of the base like that. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Nice. That and Donkey Kong are 2 of the rarer games here in the UK I am hoping to get.

It is my most expensive cart to-date: £94.91 with postage/VAT. Donkey Kong wasn’t cheap, but was also CiB from a UK seller and NTSC at that, but was still just over £40

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigfriendly said:

It's a shame because I liked it alot. The smoothed corners, the extra long cord were nice and the extra button for lefties. I still have one that isn't broken I just use it for games that are not so hard on a stick. Super Challenge Football can be brutal on a joystick (it ranks up there with Activision's Decathalon) but I've NEVER had a original 2600 joystick break off of the base like that. 

Nor will you EVER! 💪💪 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/6/2024 at 11:02 AM, DEANJIMMY said:

On Kindle you can find quite a few books like these🤗

I looked up those books on Amazon, and the only one I could find for sale was the Imagic one.  I ordered it and it arrived today. 

Nice little paperback guidebook for the 16 cartridge games Imagic created for the Atari 2600.
Each game has a few pages with a black and white screenshot, a basic description of gameplay, controls, options, etc.

It's information that can be found with internet searches, but it's nice to have collected into a tidy little book.

The author has similar guides for the M-Network carts, Activision, Parker Brothers, etc. but those all appear to be out of print.
Overall I really like it.  Cost was about $10 US.

imagic.jpg

• Like 6

Bigfriendly,

You quoted Captain Breakout but it's from a post I did.  Not sure how that happened.  The post below is mine.  Anyway, I just wanted to clear that up.

23 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

20 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Confused 1