IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

9 hours ago, shane857 said:

Been updating my 7800 collection at the mo. Can't wait for Atari to "maybe" release them. lol

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Ikari Warriors should be rereleased with twinstick controls! Then I would love it, so I struggle a bit with the controls until I warm up.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:46 PM, Sean_1970 said:

Here’s a UK-based seller of PET box protectors. Just ordered ten myself…shame there’s no Star Raiders pack-in sized one 😂

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1412783321/atari-2600-7800-plastic-pet-game-box

I got these earlier in the week. Pretty good though my Reactor box required a little finesse as it’s like a mm wider than standard. The Robot Tank box was smaller than a standard Atari box, which was surprising. Sega boxes are taller, which is a problem, however the box protectors that came with a couple of my Imagic games were taller than standard Atari so just had to do a swap (Imagic game boxes, like Parker Bros also required a bit of finesse). I used bubble wrap inside the crushed boxes which helps a bit with presentation, but given the PET plastic flexes you can’t really shove a lot in there and not have the box bulge out anyway. Now all my game boxes are in shiny plastic aside from Star Raiders. I feel like I’m collecting comics again 🤪

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Be nice if the logo was correctly sized and the colour matched hue of the faceplate outline.

It’ll do for now. I have actual dust covers for all of my consoles, with the lone exception being the 2600+. This could be an opportunity for an actual Atari branded dust cover (like the old school canvas ones) or an Atari branded cartridge port dust cover.

• Like 3

The 2 homebrews I recently got are Amoeba Jump & Robot City.  I like them both.  They work fine on the 2600+ with the default firmware.  It seems like any 2600 homebrew that has a cart size of 4K works on the 2600+.  Because I have 3 homebrews now with that file size and there are no issues.  

Amoeba Jump is a fun little platformer. It's addicting to jump on the platforms and trying to get a high score.  Robot City is a good maze shooter.  I know that JetmanUK & Dr Karnov will like that game.  I got pretty far in it.  I made it to level 19.  Not sure how many levels there are.  I think it goes on forever until you run out of lives.  There are 5 game modes.  I played on game mode 1.  Overall these 2 homebrews are great additions to the collection. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

I got these earlier in the week. Pretty good though my Reactor box required a little finesse as it’s like a mm wider than standard. The Robot Tank box was smaller than a standard Atari box, which was surprising. Sega boxes are taller, which is a problem, however the box protectors that came with a couple of my Imagic games were taller than standard Atari so just had to do a swap (Imagic game boxes, like Parker Bros also required a bit of finesse). I used bubble wrap inside the crushed boxes which helps a bit with presentation, but given the PET plastic flexes you can’t really shove a lot in there and not have the box bulge out anyway. Now all my game boxes are in shiny plastic aside from Star Raiders. I feel like I’m collecting comics again 🤪

These are also good quality box protectors, I use them all the time. Standard box size only thou. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386072217561?var=653634667180

On 2/15/2024 at 7:15 PM, DEANJIMMY said:

Here we have...

Fire Birds on the left and Sky Alien on the right😉

Even the originals are the same game with different sprites.

I got Scorpion long time ago and today Space Raider arrived, which might be the same game as "Invasion der Ufos" but I like my label more🤗

And they play well🕹

20240215_190555.jpg

Well, for these two games I love to have an Up button🕹

You fire up with... up🙄 and left/right with fire and... left/right🤔

Basically I can play it with the buttons of my stick only🤙

I like the sprites of Space Raiders more😊

Fire.png

alien.png

20240217_005105.jpg

• Like 3

Al sent me another present (that I ordered for myself back in December).  This time it was a copy of Dungeon II along with a Mega 7800 adapter.  I'm super stoked to be able use a Genesis controller to play my Atari games again.  It works like a charm on the 2600+ with my 3 button controller.  Dungeon II also works great!  Sadly, this will probably be the last 2600 / 7800 purchase I make for a while.  Real life is getting in the way again.

Edited by KainXavier
  • Like 3

On 2/15/2024 at 7:58 PM, shane857 said:

Cool Artwork. 👍 I don't like all the white label carts that were sold. H.E.R.O , Pitfall etc. Really bland. Activision carts mainly.

When you look at carts like these, It really makes you want to play the game.

I think Activision released some classic Atari 2600 games thou cut cost on artwork and box. I much prefer the Atari original colour/picture carts and other companies like Imagic, Sega , Zellers...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

I think Activision released some classic Atari 2600 games thou cut cost on artwork and box. I much prefer the Atari original colour/picture carts and other companies like Imagic, Sega , Zellers...

Yeah I ended up paying more to import some Imagic and Activision games over label art. I’m so shallow 😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:11 AM, Intellivision Master said:

This is interesting.  I don't think I've seen or heard of this hack before.  Gotta love these hacked versions.  I have the regular Lock N' Chase.  It's a fun game.

I like the regular, though prefer the Intellivision to 2600.  A little different gameplay

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ABA180 said:

I like the regular, though prefer the Intellivision to 2600.  A little different gameplay

I have the M Network version of Lock N' Chase as a loose cart.  I never played the INTV version.  However, I did play the arcade version of it on my Data East Arcade collection for the Evercade. 

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 2

I was looking for the Atari Age store on eBay.  It's there but nothing is in stock. https://www.ebay.com/str/atariage

That's a shame.  I was going to get some games on there for the free shipping.  Hopefully they sell games on there again.  I do use the Atari Age store on here but you have to pay shipping.  Anyway, I had mentioned in another post on this thread about their eBay store for those who wanted to check it out.

Here is my original post from January 27th:

Some of you might already know this. But for those who don't. Atari Age has an eBay store. I might try getting some homebrews from there. Because their eBay store has free shipping for the US. If only the AA store had free shipping as well.

Edited by Intellivision Master

6 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Genuinely thought I was done for the time being, but then someone posted getting a copy of this and it was on my list and then I saw a new buy-it-now listing postage included for less than £18 so…

IMG_0331.jpeg

One of my faves! A great purchase, you'll enjoy that and at a good price too.

Let me know how it loads, mine and I believe @Dr Karnovs is a little flaky.

Mine came with the manual, but I have never actually opened it. I keep all my manuals together, I should take a look really as some of them are really nice.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

One of my faves! A great purchase, you'll enjoy that and at a good price too.

Let me know how it loads, mine and I believe @Dr Karnovs is a little flaky.

Mine came with the manual, but I have never actually opened it. I keep all my manuals together, I should take a look really as some of them are really nice.

It was good the first time 🤷‍♂️

Good game; surprised to see Taito licensed it - was there an arcade game?

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

It was good the first time 🤷‍♂️

Good game; surprised to see Taito licensed it - was there an arcade game?

Glad it's working for you. :)

I noticed the Taito license on it but I have never seen an arcade version, off to YouTube I go...

It actually looks quite primitive, I prefer the Atari version! 

• Like 4