IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

7 minutes ago, LS650 said:

A couple of carts arrived today.  I gave each a short play.  I've never played the 7800 version of Joust before but have played other ports quite a bit.  I really like it and will be playing it a lot I think.

Choplifter... I will say that the helicopter seems a lot harder to control than some other versions I've played.  I'll need to try it some more to form an opinion.

2carts.jpg

I played choplifter for a few hours this week, enjoyed it.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, LS650 said:

…Choplifter... I will say that the helicopter seems a lot harder to control than some other versions I've played.  I'll need to try it some more to form an opinion.

2carts.jpg

I noticed that too but my 7800 controllers are pretty old and not as responsive as I’d like so for now I’m chalking it up to old controllers.
I played the SMS version the most as a kid and I remember it having very good controls. 

Holding out final judgement until I get my nice shiny new cx78+ controllers. 👍🏼 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

The carts with dip switches are good.  What if a double ended cart came out with dip switches?  That would be neat.  For example, each side has 3 games.  So, the double ended cart has 6 games on it.  It can be more, I chose 6 games but anyway.  This most likely will never happen but one can dream.

Not too many switch configurations thou, I think 8 to 10 games max. Anything more and you would have to be a professional safe cracker to find the games...even with instructions! 😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I noticed that too but my 7800 controllers are pretty old and not as responsive as I’d like so for now I’m chalking it up to old controllers.
I played the SMS version the most as a kid and I remember it having very good controls. 

The original cx78 controllers are awesome. Buy them on ebay for £20 or so. Most are missing the thumbstick.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, shane857 said:

The original cx78 controllers are awesome. Buy them on ebay for £20 or so. Most are missing the thumbstick.

Wish they were that cheap over here in the states. That’s what’s got me so excited for the new ones. 👍🏼 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Without the stick they are painfull😉

I'll keep one of my original pads and will buy one of the new ones to compare them.

Regarding the Painline Joystick, I'll keep one to show people how they are... and I keep two of the the better alternative😊

Yes, buttons left and right... but the leave switches have the Quickshot II style and work quite well after I bended them a bit🕹

20240229_000114.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 2:56 PM, shane857 said:

Love these Xonox double ender carts, weird thou cool. They should make a come back, the games are pretty decent.

I think Champ Games should be making double-ender cartridges.  One side is the classic 2600 compatible version and the other side is the 2600+ compatible version.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Choplifter! on the 7800 is a bit of a strange beast. 

The SMS is the most enjoyable version, IMO.  It has great graphics, slightly easier control than the arcade version, and multiple stages like the arcade- though it isn't arcade accurate.

The 7800 version has control that is somewhere between the SMS and the arcade, IIRC.  It also has quite good graphics, and plays well.  Unfortunately, it only has the one stage, like the home computer originals.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, shane857 said:

Bought this today...hopefully it arrives as pictured, not like somebody has sit down on it. 😂

s-l1600.png

I've never even heard of this game before. It's seems crazy that Atari was still pumping out new titles for the 2600 as late as 1988. Did they do this because these games were still marketable in other countries?

16 hours ago, Electric-Dreams said:

I just received this CIB game I bought on eBay a week ago, which was actually in good condition considering its age.

image.thumb.jpeg.e3bafa62f514d5c8bd50856901019160.jpeg

I'll never understand why people insist on thinking that a fragile cardboard box can be sent in a simple bubble wrap envelope.

It arrived completely flattened.

What a waste...

Yeah most people seem to get it, but I have had games in box packed in a Jiffy bag and just…😒😬

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, shane857 said:

Joust 7800 is a lot better than the 2600 version, which is also a decent game.

Joust 7800 was one of the first carts I bought - really impressive port in every way: sound, animation, gameplay. They did an excellent job!

• Like 4

SPACECHASE PAL 2600 arrived🤗

The previous owner was German, too.

He cut out only the German parts of the manual and put them together at the backside of the front page.

I am quite happy with this, didn't know I get a manual at all and so I've learned you can fight at day AND night🤙

Pretty cool, so we got both, we got Country and Western😂

20240229_132450.jpg

20240229_132422.jpg

20240229_132320.jpg

20240229_132256.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

SPACECHASE PAL 2600 arrived🤗

The previous owner was German, too.

He cut out only the German parts of the manual and put them together at the backside of the front page.

I am quite happy with this, didn't know I get a manual at all and so I've learned you can fight at day AND night🤙

Pretty cool, so we got both, we got Country and Western😂

20240229_132450.jpg

20240229_132422.jpg

20240229_132320.jpg

20240229_132256.jpg

I like this game.  It's on my list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

I've never even heard of this game before. It's seems crazy that Atari was still pumping out new titles for the 2600 as late as 1988. Did they do this because these games were still marketable in other countries?

Yeh, I think they were still releasing 2600 games up to 1990. Sprint master is like the arcade game Super Sprint.

• Like 2

Perhaps some of the less exciting additions to my collection. Dots!

I bought some stickers from Amazon and I've been slowly putting them on the back of all my confirmed NTSC carts. I'm doing this as I have some carts from both regions and I don't want to play the PAL one if I have NTSC.

It's not always easy to tell at a glance but I'm working through them. 

Running a cart on my old woody is a good check, if it looks funky. Playing it on Stella and comparing it works too. Does anyone have any tips that I'm missing? I'm aware of the P sticker on the back of some PAL carts, also on the end label sometimes too. Of course some PAL carts are ok, but seemingly not many. 

I'm pretty sure my wife was thinking I've lost it as she watched me putting little red dots on 40 year old pieces of plastic last night. That and the constant parcels arriving... 🤣
Maybe I do need help. 😬🤦🏻🤔😋

A thought has just struck me, couldn't the speed difference issue that plagues many PAL carts be a thing of the past with the 2600 Plus? Surely certain games could have their emulation sped up? I've done that in Stella myself. Actually the screen could also be stretched too couldn't it? Then just a colour difference may be present, perhaps a more in depth fix. 🤔

IMG_20240229_212936.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Perhaps some of the less exciting additions to my collection. Dots!

I bought some stickers from Amazon and I've been slowly putting them on the back of all my confirmed NTSC carts. I'm doing this as I have some carts from both regions and I don't want to play the PAL one if I have NTSC.

It's not always easy to tell at a glance but I'm working through them. 

Running a cart on my old woody is a good check, if it looks funky. Playing it on Stella and comparing it works too. Does anyone have any tips that I'm missing? I'm aware of the P sticker on the back of some PAL carts, also on the end label sometimes too. Of course some PAL carts are ok, but seemingly not many. 

I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I've lost it as she watched me putting red dots on 40 year old pieces of plastic last night. That and the constant parcels arriving... 🤣

A thought has just struck me, couldn't the speed difference issue that plagues many PAL carts be a thing of the past with the 2600 Plus? Surely certain games could have their emulation sped up? I've done that since Stella myself. Actually the screen could also be stretched too couldn't it? Then just a colour difference may be present, perhaps a more in depth fix. 🤔

IMG_20240229_212936.jpg

I do something similar to mark NTSC modules but in the past it was a warning😉

Red

NTSC fails on PAL or colors are quite off

Blue

NTSC works on PAL and colors Ok

Ring

Atarivox support, red dots = NTSC

As live is short, I gave up on it but will complete it someday😊

20240229_224610.jpg

20240229_224554.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I do something similar to mark NTSC modules but in the past it was a warning😉

Red

NTSC fails on PAL or colors are quite off

Blue

NTSC works on PAL and colors Ok

Ring

Atarivox support, red dots = NTSC

As live is short, I gave up on it but will complete it someday😊

20240229_224610.jpg

20240229_224554.jpg

I'm not alone then! 😜

I think I've pretty much completed my system, every NTSC cart now has a red dot on the back.

I should count up how many I have, I own many more than I thought, which was good news. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

…I'm pretty sure my wife was thinking I've lost it as she watched me putting little red dots on 40 year old pieces of plastic last night. That and the constant parcels arriving... 🤣

My wife keeps asking when will the deliveries stop…. Ha ha

Thank goodness for significant others that tolerate our hobbies. 

Edited by MikeM_
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

My wife keeps asking when will the deliveries stop…. Ha ha

Thank goodness for significant others that tolerate our hobbies. 

Saw a picture of Sprint Master and started to have a look on ebay... but then I opened my storage box with sports carts🙃

My wife is happy, not another cart😉

20240229_233134.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Without the stick they are painfull😉

I'll keep one of my original pads and will buy one of the new ones to compare them.

Regarding the Painline Joystick, I'll keep one to show people how they are... and I keep two of the the better alternative😊

Yes, buttons left and right... but the leave switches have the Quickshot II style and work quite well after I bended them a bit🕹

20240229_000114.jpg

Real Atarians know that Atari is all about painful controllers and debilitating hand cramps.  If it isn't painful you're just playing wimpy games :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3