IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

15 minutes ago, SparkleFork said:

Hi, a question for @Ben from Plaion. Amazon UK have sold out of the console (apparently they were selling it for around £60 recently). Are there plans to a manufacture/restock? I'm just interested in whether this is going to be an ongoing product or if Atari think the market has been satiated.

I doubt Amazon UK have sold out. Looks like a glitch.

It better be an ongoing line cause my kids got holes in their shoes and I need to be getting paid.

We are currently planning Q4 2024 manufacture runs. So at least another year of Atari 2600+.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

It better be an ongoing line cause my kids got holes in their shoes and I need to be getting paid.

We are currently planning Q4 2024 manufacture runs. So at least another year of Atari 2600+.

Fantastic news (not about your kids shoes though, that stuff gets expensive when they get brand aware), the 2600+ definitely deserves a long innings than a lot of the mini consoles that just disappear after the first run sells out. 

Definitely considering picking up a spare if they go back down to that price though...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I recall saying the same thing…

We've all said the same thing and none of us have stuck to it. 🤣

As I have collected so many carts now, there's actually few I don't own, mostly the ones I don't have are either too rare, too expensive or not wanted. I have a handful in the post and I there's a handful I may pick up.

I kind of want new homebrew stuff now, but we need to know what works what does not, also better availability to the UK. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I kind of want new homebrew stuff now, but we need to know what works what does not, also better availability to the UK.

Yeah, the homebrew games are cool.  The AA store is supposed to show if the game is compatible or not.  I recall seeing a post about this.  Not sure which thread mentioned it.  It seems like any 2600 homebrew that has a cart size of 4K works on the Plus.  I have a few that are 4K and they work fine.  Anything higher won't unless your console is updated which mine isn't.  And of course Champ Games homebrews don't run on the Plus even with the update.  Perhaps one day they will.  But that's why I have the 7800 for homebrews that don't work on my Plus.  

The funny thing is, originally I was only go to get the 2600+ to play homebrew games and nothing else.  Well, that didn't happen as I've been collecting the older games along with the homebrews.  Also, I like the enhanced game Berzerk which I own.  And the re-releases such as Food Fight which I pre-ordered.  Hopefully more enhanced titles & re-releases come out as well as brand new ones too.

Here's hoping for better availability for homebrews in the UK. 

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

We've all said the same thing and none of us have stuck to it. 🤣

As I have collected so many carts now, there's actually few I don't own, mostly the ones I don't have are either too rare, too expensive or not wanted. I have a handful in the post and I there's a handful I may pick up.

Yeah, I'm kind of pivoting to 7800 at this point, but not in any kind of a hurry.  And I already have Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Centipede, Joust, Galaga, Mario Bros, Pole Position II, Asteroids and Commando at least.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kuff Dam said:

I have finally tracked down these Imagic titles. Not played any of them yet though.20240311_155048.thumb.jpg.06560591b64f5a1a6910036dbce30156.jpg

I play No Escape quite often. Love the game mechanics where you have to shoot at the tiles above to remove the enemies.

Not played Subterranea or Quick Step.

• Like 2

That's funny. I recently got these...

IMG_20240308_231927440.thumb.jpg.0da9966e44ba7a7ac215bfdd0b185fc1.jpg

I already had Subterrania... And I agree it's a great game.  I had quick step back in the day, and since I spent my allowance on it, I learned to like it ok.

Pretty excited about the other Imagic games.  I always liked that company

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Very good🤙

Should I get a spare one in 2024 or Rev2 in 2025?😉

Hope it will be available for long time, or I need a spare🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Very good🤙

Should I get a spare one in 2024 or Rev2 in 2025?😉

Hope it will be available for long time, or I need a spare🤔

I bought a second console at a reasonable price as a spare part, which will initially remain in storage in its original packaging.

I've invested quite a bit of money in my small game collection and the 2600+ is the only way for me to play the games in HD on a modern TV.

It would be pretty unfortunate if the only console I own for all the games breaks and a replacement becomes unavailable at some point or is really expensive, as happened with the mini NES, Genesis & Co.

I also hope that the console will be supported for a long time and will be available at a normal price.

Edited by 2LTIME6100
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

GAS HOG arrived🤙

20240311_202542.jpg

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

A man of taste I see. Is it PAL?

Enjoy one of the best games on the system!

Are we being serious here?  The Video Game Critic gave this a D-, so I've always just dismissed it. 

(Then again, he did that to Star Control on the Genesis and I love that game)

Is this actually an enjoyable one?

1 hour ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Are we being serious here?  The Video Game Critic gave this a D-, so I've always just dismissed it. 

(Then again, he did that to Star Control on the Genesis and I love that game)

Is this actually an enjoyable one?

It's one of my favourite games.

Try a ROM on Stella and see what you think.

Personally I think those who don't like it have probably not played it properly. 🤷🏻

EDIT:

Ok, I'll explain further...

It was programmed by Mark Turmell, so his pedigree should lend some credibility to the game. He also programmed Turmoil and Fast Eddie on the 2600. It's worth looking at his other credits too,.

Check out some YouTube footage to see how to play it properly, you'll be jumping and shooting, grabbing the bonus points, moving between levels, going forward and then back tracking the way you came. Its a great game, I guess it was released by an unfashionable publisher so it's lost in the mix. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

I've been enjoying my new addiction for a few months now, collecting carts, but sadly I haven't had much time to to sit and just jump in and spend some time cart swapping. Well, last night I had a couple of hours free!

I decided to play some 7800 stuff first, Centipede, Asteroids, Food Fight, Commando, Jinks and Ballblazer. Great fun. Jinks is a quirky game, I would have really enjoyed it as a kid, even with it's shortfalls, yes it is slightly agrivating. 😬🤣

I then played some 2600, Fast Eddie, Worm War 1, River Raid. Wow, I had such a good time jumping between games in a way I didn't when I was a kid - I only had a small handful of games then and never a 7800 so this is a nostalgic journey, but also more of me if I was Richie Rich type experience. 🤣

I played a little Freeway with my daughter earlier in the day, that's a really nice experience, I need some other simple two player games to play with her. Lovely,  precious time, her giggling away. 😊

• Like 6