IGNORED

Food Fight (by Mega Cat Studios) - (in VCS Store) (VCS EXCLUSIVE)

PowerDubs

Went back and played a few hours of Food Fight today.   Not terrible, but needs some room of improvement for sure.   I think the Cone platform levels are too difficult for them to be enjoyable.   I like the hidden art pieces, but want more of them to unlock.   The actual game I think could be fun, and unlocking coins from it for arcade games was pretty easy.   The games you unlock are not 1/1 arcade roms but their own thing.   There are no graphic settings playing these either.   I want to know how to unlock some of the other areas of the game.   I would compare this game to Atari Mania, which many people did not like.   Atari tried something different and it might not be what they wanted.   I still like this game, but do understand why people would want something different.   

3 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Went back and played a few hours of Food Fight today.   Not terrible, but needs some room of improvement for sure.   I think the Cone platform levels are too difficult for them to be enjoyable.   I like the hidden art pieces, but want more of them to unlock.   The actual game I think could be fun, and unlocking coins from it for arcade games was pretty easy.   The games you unlock are not 1/1 arcade roms but their own thing.   There are no graphic settings playing these either.   I want to know how to unlock some of the other areas of the game.   I would compare this game to Atari Mania, which many people did not like.   Atari tried something different and it might not be what they wanted.   I still like this game, but do understand why people would want something different.   

This looks like a free game a teacher would see their student playing on their Chromebook, because they were tired of the lecture and not allowed to pull out their Switch.

This won't do well outside the VCS beyond boomer dads who will buy the same Atari game five times (as long as it is also on the VCS). This does not convince me I missed out by not buying a VCS, and Food Fight is my favorite non-homebrew 7800 game. This is just a poor boomer dad Splatoon.

The more important question is how this furthers the goal of helping mom's access Netflix?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, killersquirel said:

If you are experiencing the zip code bug, try backing out and going back in.  If you see "1234 1234 1234 1234" for the credit card number, back out.  I did it several times on the featured game list yesterdayday and had the issue.  I backed out and tried to select the game in the new game section and it worked on either the first or second try.  

I've been trying that. No luck.

39 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

How so?  I only played Outlaw, but I don't see anything appreciably different from the arcade machine.

I unlocked the Food Fight arcade game and one thing I noticed is that if Charley is holding food and completes the level, he doesn't have the food to start the next one (unlike the arcade game). 

I checked this out again this morning.  @swlovinist is right; these do not appear to be emulated.  They're the same games, but they appear to have been re-coded for this.

Can anyone shed some light on why they would do that?  That seems like an enormous time sink for no discernible purpose.  Maybe they're a little easier than the originals with the lowest difficulty settings?  Maybe to make them more playable for kids or something?

It's really weird.  Why do this?  

3 hours ago, MrTrust said:

I checked this out again this morning.  @swlovinist is right; these do not appear to be emulated.  They're the same games, but they appear to have been re-coded for this.

Can anyone shed some light on why they would do that?  That seems like an enormous time sink for no discernible purpose.  Maybe they're a little easier than the originals with the lowest difficulty settings?  Maybe to make them more playable for kids or something?

It's really weird.  Why do this?  

It is a strange move.   For this, I might have to unlock them just to experience how well they play.   Just unlocked a few and found Crystal Castles to be fairly frustrating to control.   Food Fight plays okay but eating the ice cream to clear a stage I found that you have be pixel accurate.   

I've been playing more of the game over the weekend, even had family over staying and the game has been getting a lot of play! There's definetaly much scope for improvement with this Food Fight and giving that its in early access i can see them adding and improving the game they have a great foundation in place to build on. The only thing that annoys me is this frame rate, in certain parts of the game, there's this particular water fountain in the game and just running next to it makes the game drop like 10-15 frames and run like a slide show but there's a similar water fountain else where in the game and the framerate is absolutely spot on. I know this game is nothing strenuous to the Atari VCS hardware, there are far more demanding and visually better games coming to system and from gameplay vids and stuff I've seen the little VCS doesn't break a sweat, hopefully Food Fight can overcome these frame rate issues. I'm personally loving the game otherwise and can see it being a hit especially on other platforms when its polished more and ready to go! I think it'll do well on the Switch. Obviously nothing is going to touch the original Food Fight but this new take on the game is very interesting. I hope in the future though we get a Food Fight Recharged game. I'm just not a big fan of modern 3d stuff in general these days but like to use it in PC mode on the VCS to see what it can run and cant, i do enjoy this new 3d take on Food Fight though.

14 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I love this game, but damn do I suck at it... hahah!

Same here, well I'm getting better now the more i play it but the first few online games i did i was getting destroyed by players and bots but i have the game mechanics down a bit better now 😅 it doesn't help I've been playing the Atari 2600+ quite a lot lately so coming of that joystick to the modern controller has been wild!

Well, my VCS decided to allow me to buy it today, so I bought Food Fight: Culinary Combat. And, I have to say, it's fun so far. As much as I thought I wanted a Food Fight Recharged type of game, (OK, not going to lie, I kinda still do) I really like what they've done here.

For starters, let's acknowledge that the VCS has very capable hardware and has needed some games with 3D graphics to show what it can really do. Cartoony or not, the graphics are leaps and bounds over many (but not all) of the games for the VCS. The graphics look really nice, they have sort of a modern Nintendo look to them. That's not a bad thing, since Atari and Nintendo both have a history of making fun family friendly games. I like the town you can roam around in and how it's full of Atari characters from various games. This really helps honor the history of Atari. I also like seeing the Atari 50 logo around town, even if the game didn't make it in time for Atari's 50th anniversary. But, I'm sure that part was designed for when the game was intended to be released last year, so I'm glad they left it in. I've played the one match that they have you play during the tutorial, messed around in the Outlaw shooting gallery, and played some Quest for the Cone. I find the controls to be not bad at all, typical third person shooter controls. Though, I really noticed in the shooting gallery how slightly less precise than I'd like them to be the Power A thumbsticks are on the modern controller. I've had this issue in the past using Power A controllers on other systems. I may plug in an XBOX controller and see if the controls are any more precise with superior thumbsticks. But, other than that minor thing, which is no fault of the game, I've got no issues with the controls or the game itself. So far, it's really fun. It's just a harmless little family friendly shooter that I think is the type of game we need for the VCS.

• Like 3

I tried the game with my 15-ish year old XBOX 360 wired controller that I've used a lot for PC games over the years and the difference in the precision of the thumbsticks versus the actual VCS modern controller made by Power A is significant. I went back to Outlaw's Shooting Gallery because static targets are the best thing for determining precision on thumbsticks, and the aiming was smooth and precise with the 360 controller, where it had been more jittery and less precise with the Power A controller. Unfortunately, this is a common problem with budget 3rd party controllers, and that's what Power A typically makes. The VCS modern controller is just a modification of their XBOX controllers, which are typically much less expensive than the actual Microsoft controllers, and you see why when it comes to things like thumbstick precision.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:33 PM, MrTrust said:

Also, this game is clearly intended for kids, so what is up with all the up-their-own-ass Atari self-reference?  Look, kids, you can talk to Howard Warshaw and Nolan Bushnell!  Did you know that Yar's Revenge was the best-selling game of 1982?  How many different times are we going to unlock the Gravitar 2600 box art as a collective before enough is enough?

Yeah the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it is the game feels like its aimed at Zoomers, not people like me.

Today I bought this game and I find it very fun. It is true that it may have some improvements but for me it is fine to have a good time. I also noticed a bit of lag when playing wirelessly. At the moment I'm playing online and a second player appears, I suppose it's one of you and the rest are bots.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's really great to have an early access style exclusive on the VCS, regardless of the game. I find Food Fight: Culinary Combat to be totally ok in an average sort of way, but I also suck at third (and first) person shooters. Given the options for online multiplayer on the VCS (which we don't pay for, which is nice) this is one of the best available. Here's my look at the game: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFG4CYWOzkA

• Like 3