IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

7 minutes ago, Blinky said:

The problem is caused by the dumper and not the emulator. Did you successfully update the dumper firmware using AtariDumper1.1.0.2.exe ?

To check this you can run the tool again and repeat the 1st instructions for detection and check the device version:

image.png.0aa7886d0b2dd7128a69e06714224cb8.png

Confirmed that my dumper is updated with exact info you posted in screenshot.  However, NTSC RealSports Boxing does not work.

IMG_2702.thumb.jpg.d5a60729a03c4b37308e5490193f0430.jpg

• Sad 1

I worked through my remaining NTSC 7800 games from O-Z.

First the good news, I found out where my Klax cart was .....  in my imagination, apparently I thought I bought the reproduction but missed it.  Maybe Atari should consider releasing all the known prototypes with any fixes needed to make them playable (3D Asteroids, G.A.T.O., Klax, Missing in Action, Pitfighter, Plutos, Rampart, Rescue on Fractalus, Sirius).

I had 5 issues with this final batch, all of these load fine on a 7800:

1. The Original Pac-Man Collection wouldn't load properly and just had big blocky lines (the 40th anniversary version worked perfectly)

2. Rampage also loaded to a muddled mess of graphics

3. Rikki & Vikki wouldn't load

4. The Bob Decresenzo Collection 8 in 1 cart wouldn't load

5. Worm! wouldn't load

The carts that worked:

Video 61 Monitor Cart - It loaded but probably needs keyboards to actually do anything

One-on-One Basketball

Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition

Pete Rose Baseball

Planet Smashers

Pole Position II

Popeye - version 2.3D

Realsports Baseball

Ripoff

Robotron 2084

Santa Simon

Scrapyard Dog

Serpentine

Space Duel

Space Invaders

Scramble

Summer Games

Super Huey

Super Circus

Super Pac-Man

Super Skateboardin'

Tank Command

Time Salvo

Title Match Pro Wrestling

Tomcat: F-14 Fighter Simulator

Touchdown Football

Tower Toppler (check difficulty settings to be able to play)

UniWars

Wasp

Water Ski

Winter Games

Wizard's Dungeon

Xenophobe

Xevious

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blinky said:

The problem is caused by the dumper and not the emulator. Did you successfully update the dumper firmware using AtariDumper1.1.0.2.exe ?

Yes, dumper was successfully upgraded first.

2 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Confirmed that my dumper is updated with exact info you posted in screenshot.  However, NTSC RealSports Boxing does not work.

Same.

image.thumb.png.660f37fadf9584fc741643e7dce1d90c.png

On 12/30/2023 at 7:26 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all, 

Thanks for all the offers to try out the 1.1 beta software. More people have offered then I thought so probably best if I just provide the instructions and files here.

How to Update

Dumper:

With Power Switch off on the 2600+ connect the USB lead from the 2600+ to a Windows Laptop/PC. 

TV TYPE lever in B W

Hold down GAME SELECT lever and power on the 2600+, You should hear a windows connection jingle from your Laptop/PC

Open AtariDumper1.1.0.2.exe, You should see the status as Detected in green text

image.png.4368aae169312a8ab7001390e3108968.png

Press Download and it takes about 5 seconds to flash the dumper chip. The status then goes to red not detected and thats it the dumper chip is updated.

How to Update

Emulator Part 1:

The machine needs to add a driver to your Laptop/PC to talk to the 2600+. You only need to do this once.

With Power Switch off on the 2600+ connect the USB lead from the 2600+ to a Windows Laptop/PC. 

TV TYPE lever in COLOR

Hold down GAME RESET lever and power on the 2600+, You should hear a windows connection jingle from your Laptop/PC

Goto Device Manager on your PC and click on the Unknown Device.

image.thumb.png.95dcfc372f0bde19a275ebbe7eec1765.png

Browse your PC and click on the DriverAssitant_v5.12 (unzipped) and press Open.

image.thumb.png.1cadfbb5cd3bf93dd2e26079e634b2c1.png

A confirmation message should pop up showing a successful driver update. 

image.thumb.png.ae1eecde305fa3a535eaed6b77f06579.png

Should take you no more then two minutes to do this.

Emulator Part 2:

Now for the actual emulator firmware update. 

TV TYPE lever in COLOR

Hold down GAME RESET lever and power on the 2600+, You should hear a windows connection jingle from your Laptop/PC

Open up RKDevTool_Release_v2.74 folder (unzipped) and click on RKDevTool.exe.

image.thumb.png.c8bc894042c9c79107687ffec761ac6c.png

You should see the application window open and a status message of 'Found one MASKROM device'.

image.thumb.png.7d4b8365291b26704123a9d1a8f1e41e.png

Press the tab Upgrade Firmware.

image.thumb.png.768d83ae0320428c7097104d74481341.png

Press the Firmware button.

image.thumb.png.90040c339790263fc556c3e2ac77f558.png

Find Update-1225.img and press Open.

image.thumb.png.1fbf52f8fb42700a943499559ede8ace.png

You should see the IMG prepped in the window. Press Upgrade.

image.thumb.png.904bc44a52ec10cf824f1f25f69bac40.png

The update uploads in about 30 seconds. The whole process should again take about 2 minutes.

And thats everything done. Time to plug your carts in! 

John Hancock has already provided a list of working 7800 homebrews, so unless you just want to play those games for fun I'm more interested in receiving feedback for games he didnt test and anything else of note.

Bear in mind this is a beta and the purpose of offering this out on Atari Age is because of the breadth of cartridges out there that we internally just dont have easy access to - such a massive amount of carts with all their variations. I'm confident that this update will please, but some things may not work still and others havent been looked at like video touch pad, driver controller support as well as 2600 homebrew, a few odd carts and that one tricky official release Pitfall II. But we will as soon as the 1.1 is locked.

Thanks Ben

AtariDumper1.1.0.2.exe 5.26 MB · 161 downloads update-1225.img 68.85 MB · 135 downloads DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip 9.4 MB · 132 downloads RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip 2.44 MB · 133 downloads

Ben, I cannot get past step 3. States Download boot fail. Any suggestions? Screenshot(77).thumb.png.95e15a30f2eb6a78b8178d0b59f4137a.png

On 12/30/2023 at 6:34 PM, chad5200 said:

2600 white shelled Coleco Donkey Kong Junior not working (no difference from 1.00, this is the issue discovered where many different Coleco games are not working if they have a specific circuit board)

White shelled Donkey Kong working on mine.

Good to see Pole Position II working, even on my single button controller.

Sadly during this upgrade, I found that my USB-C port on my 2600+ is flaky. You have to hold the cable in a very specific way for it to get power now. Tried multiple cables, multiple power supplies, etc. and it's certainly the 2600+ that's broken. Kind of a bummer since we only got to play it once for a couple of hours before we had to leave for our Christmas travel, came home and started this update and found that it appears to be a bad solder joint for the USB-C connector.

Edited by TornadoTJ

5 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Hopefully there will be an easier method to do the update.  There needs to be a simple way for the average consumer.  Not everyone is tech savvy.  For those who buy the console later on would have to go on Atari.com to get the update.  That is once the final version is out.  Otherwise how will they update it?  Most people aren't going to a forum to update the console.  So it makes sense for Atari to make is easy and just have the update instructions on their site.  And here's hoping the final version isn't as many steps for the update.  I thought about doing the beta, but I'm just going to wait.  There's no rush for me as I don't have many games to test right now.

In the mean time I'll try to install this beta firmware update this week - my biggest peeve was the lag I saw with the new paddle controllers.. I tried to show my kids Breakout and it was almost completely unplayable... :( 

That said I think I was happier about the release of the 2600+ than I was for the VCS and I have the release edition of the VCS.. :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daorriss said:

In the mean time I'll try to install this beta firmware update this week - my biggest peeve was the lag I saw with the new paddle controllers.. I tried to show my kids Breakout and it was almost completely unplayable... :( 

That said I think I was happier about the release of the 2600+ than I was for the VCS and I have the release edition of the VCS.. :) 

I think you have something else causing lag. I'm not seeing any significant lag on Breakout or Kaboom, and that's with both the new paddles and the vintage paddles. Ran score up over 3000 on Kaboom when we first got it, boy it took me a while though, I'm RUSTY at that game!

• Like 1

I have NO idea what RockChip device I have that I apparently updated at some point on my WIN11 PC, but the RockUSB driver was already an installed device. Sort of freaked me out since I did not see any Unknown Devices.

Either way, I did not need to install the driver (skipped that part) and the firmware update went very smooth. Instructions were spot on! Thanks @Ben from Plaion and everyone else for this!!!

So far my 2600+ can not be detected either with the Dumping Tool or my PC.  Im using a known working Data and Power cable.  It's set to B&W and Im holding down game select before powering it on.  Nothing.  Ive tried multiple cables on multiple PC and nothing will detect it.  Ive tried multiple combinations of color/game reset, difficulty switches and still nothing.  I get no beep, nothing in device manager.  Does the atari logo light up like when its powered on normally?  Mine does not.  Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective 2600+?

4 minutes ago, CentipedeFan said:

So far my 2600+ can not be detected either with the Dumping Tool or my PC.  Im using a known working Data and Power cable.  It's set to B&W and Im holding down game select before powering it on.  Nothing.  Ive tried multiple cables on multiple PC and nothing will detect it.  Ive tried multiple combinations of color/game reset, difficulty switches and still nothing.  I get no beep, nothing in device manager.  Does the atari logo light up like when its powered on normally?  Mine does not.  Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective 2600+?

Some people have mentioned that it doesn't work with USB 3.0 ports and needed to use 2.0 ones.

9 minutes ago, CentipedeFan said:

It's a USB C cable.  It uses the USB C port.  Is there a USB port on the 2600+?

Use a USB-A cable on the PC side, then to USB-C on the Atari side.

Mine was doing the same thing and I finally watched the Atari logo on the front and discovered it was not turning on. Looks like I have a bad solder joint for my USB-C connector on my 2600+. Found the sweet-spot for it to stay on and was able to flash.

28 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

The other end of the power cable that comes with the 2600+ is a USB A.  That's the end people were referring to for the 2.0/3.0 USB standards.

FWIW, my laptop has USB-A 3.2 gen 2 and the update worked fine. Running Windows 11.

13 minutes ago, TornadoTJ said:

Use a USB-A cable on the PC side, then to USB-C on the Atari side.

Mine was doing the same thing and I finally watched the Atari logo on the front and discovered it was not turning on. Looks like I have a bad solder joint for my USB-C connector on my 2600+. Found the sweet-spot for it to stay on and was able to flash.

So it has to be USB-A to USB-C, I can't go C to C?

16 minutes ago, CentipedeFan said:

That could be why my 2600+ didn’t seem to do anything connected to my Mac using one of the USB-C/tbolt-4 ports. Man I love USB, such a great standard 🤪. My media drive is a LaCie 16TB Big Dock with a USB-A port on the front so I may try that or one of the USB-A ports on the Mac itself. I realise the update doesn’t work now, but I’d hope to at least get the machine powered and see something from the system-side…

Edited by Sean_1970

On 12/30/2023 at 6:26 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all, 

Thanks for all the offers to try out the 1.1 beta software. More people have offered then I thought so probably best if I just provide the instructions and files here.

How to Update

Dumper:

TV TYPE lever in B W

Hold down GAME SELECT lever and power on the 2600+, You should hear a windows connection jingle from your Laptop/PC

Open AtariDumper1.1.0.2.exe, You should see the status as Detected in green text

image.png.4368aae169312a8ab7001390e3108968.png

Press Download and it takes about 5 seconds to flash the dumper chip. The status then goes to red not detected and thats it the dumper chip is updated.

How to Update

Emulator Part 1:

The machine needs to add a driver to your Laptop/PC to talk to the 2600+. You only need to do this once.

TV TYPE lever in COLOR

Goto Device Manager on your PC and click on the Unknown Device.

image.thumb.png.95dcfc372f0bde19a275ebbe7eec1765.png

Browse your PC and click on the DriverAssitant_v5.12 (unzipped) and press Open.

image.thumb.png.1cadfbb5cd3bf93dd2e26079e634b2c1.png

A confirmation message should pop up showing a successful driver update. 

image.thumb.png.ae1eecde305fa3a535eaed6b77f06579.png

Should take you no more then two minutes to do this.

Emulator Part 2:

Now for the actual emulator firmware update. 

TV TYPE lever in COLOR

Open up RKDevTool_Release_v2.74 folder (unzipped) and click on RKDevTool.exe.

image.thumb.png.c8bc894042c9c79107687ffec761ac6c.png

You should see the application window open and a status message of 'Found one MASKROM device'.

image.thumb.png.7d4b8365291b26704123a9d1a8f1e41e.png

Press the tab Upgrade Firmware.

image.thumb.png.768d83ae0320428c7097104d74481341.png

Press the Firmware button.

image.thumb.png.90040c339790263fc556c3e2ac77f558.png

Find Update-1225.img and press Open.

image.thumb.png.1fbf52f8fb42700a943499559ede8ace.png

You should see the IMG prepped in the window. Press Upgrade.

image.thumb.png.904bc44a52ec10cf824f1f25f69bac40.png

The update uploads in about 30 seconds. The whole process should again take about 2 minutes.

And thats everything done. Time to plug your carts in! 

John Hancock has already provided a list of working 7800 homebrews, so unless you just want to play those games for fun I'm more interested in receiving feedback for games he didnt test and anything else of note.

Bear in mind this is a beta and the purpose of offering this out on Atari Age is because of the breadth of cartridges out there that we internally just dont have easy access to - such a massive amount of carts with all their variations. I'm confident that this update will please, but some things may not work still and others havent been looked at like video touch pad, driver controller support as well as 2600 homebrew, a few odd carts and that one tricky official release Pitfall II. But we will as soon as the 1.1 is locked.

Thanks Ben

AtariDumper1.1.0.2.exe 5.26 MB · 168 downloads update-1225.img 68.85 MB · 143 downloads DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip 9.4 MB · 138 downloads RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip 2.44 MB · 140 downloads

Ben,

NVM used a different USB port and got it to work.

43 minutes ago, CentipedeFan said:

Mine wouldn't update from C to C, but I don't know if it's because my Atari's USB C port is acting up. It would not even power on. Even tried my power adapters for my Dell XPS-13 and Macbook Air, and it still wouldn't power on. Attached a USB-A to USB-C and it came up and I was able to update.

• Like 1

Just updated my console to ver 1.1.  Followed steps and had no issues.

7800 color palettes look better now.  Especially noticeable on my copy of 7800 DKjr compared to ver 1.0.

Astroblast would not work with joystick, only paddles as a couple of people have already stated on ver 1.0 and 1.1.  Also game seems to be on autofire when you play with paddles now as well(like the fire button is being pressed but it's not).  This was not the case on ver 1.0.

Omega race boots on 1.1 as stated earlier as well.  One other thing to add is your ship moves constantly like the thrust button is being pressed but it's not.  Also ship does not fire either(Please note, I tested with a colecovision controller because that will work as a second fire button for omega race on an original console if you don't own the grip attachment which I do not).

2 hours ago, TornadoTJ said:

I think you have something else causing lag. I'm not seeing any significant lag on Breakout or Kaboom, and that's with both the new paddles and the vintage paddles. Ran score up over 3000 on Kaboom when we first got it, boy it took me a while though, I'm RUSTY at that game!

No there is definitely an issue. for example on my same TV with game mode enabled if you go to Atari 50 collection from the PlayStation 5 you can play Super breakout and have absolutely zero jitteriness on the movement. Yes the paddle isn't involved but you can just see how the joystick plays compared to it. it's much more fluid.

I don't know if the problem is the paddle and how interacts with the 2600 Hardware or just the controls in General on those games or how they run on Stella in the 2600 Plus because even joystick mode is problematic on those games on the 2600 plus compared to again Atari 50 collection which is sort of the benchmark...

Edited by tradyblix

I can no longer get Tower Toppler on 7800 to work on ver. 1.1.  It was working on 1.0.  When you start the game the first stage shows up and then restarts in an endless loop. Anyone else own this game and have the same problem on the new firmware?

Edited by B.T.
mispelling