IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

5 hours ago, MrShep said:

Discovered -- to great joy this morning -- that although we're an all-apple household these days, a 15-year old windows laptop that I had lurking in a cupboard was capable of successfully running the flashing software(!)

Tried a few cartridges, one of which is the PAL (I presume) release of Demons to Diamonds, which had issues. Periodically the player's laser would go completely invisible for a few shots. I could hear the sounds, and see enemies exploding, but there was no on-screen laser. I tried the game on a couple of different displays (both had the problem), and then put the cart back in an original 2600 as a sanity check, where it ran fine. I did notice that when running on original hardware, the player's laser only seems to be appear on every second scan, whereas the beam on the 2600+ is a solid block (photos added for comparison)... so I'm guessing it's some kind of frame sync issue?

(FWIW ... I've never tried to play this one on my 2600+ prior to flashing it!)

IMG_4106.jpeg

IMG_4105.jpeg

I have noticed audio glitching and strange stuff like you mentioned in games as well unfortunately I don't think there's any way around it as it's emulation the only thing that may be able to be done is update the Stella version but I don't even know if that would help or not and it can't be done until Ben and the kind folks at Plaion release further updates

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I've noticed a new bug in this firmware.

Occasionally the 'Loading' message does not appear, the 'Loading game failed' error message stays on the screen instead, but then the game loads anyway, never actually informing you of 'Loading'.

It caught me out a few times, reseating cartridges that have previously worked flawlessly, but then after getting to the console too slowly once I quickly learnt that it was an intermittent bug. 

Any idea if this bug occurs with 20th century fox deadly Duck? I tried it over and over but it won't load normally but to hear of this bug makes me think maybe that's what's happening

7 minutes ago, Cody2000 said:

Any idea if this bug occurs with 20th century fox deadly Duck? I tried it over and over but it won't load normally but to hear of this bug makes me think maybe that's what's happening

He says the game loads anyway, despite the failed message. If you stick in Deadly Duck and wait, and the game never loads, then it's another issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RevEng said:

He says the game loads anyway, despite the failed message. If you stick in Deadly Duck and wait, and the game never loads, then it's another issue.

Interesting I will have to test it again and give it a chance to load and if it doesn't then clearly 1.1 broke it from working as the compatibility list states it works in 1.0

21 minutes ago, Cody2000 said:

I don't have that game sadly. 

FYI,

Besides the games you already know about: Pitfall II, Star Raiders & all touchpad games (NumPad and Keyboard peripherals don't work)

These are the titles I tested that still don't work

Homebrews: StarCastle, MediEvil Mayhem, and Epic Adventure

Originals: Robot Tank, TacScan (boots but wont start)

17 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I don't have that game sadly. 

Upon further testing I have come to the sad conclusion that 1.1 broke it from working as someone else in the Facebook group just tested it on 1.0 firmware and it worked for them hope this issue is fixed sooner than later or some rollback instructions and files are uploaded to roll back to 1.0 as I was looking forward to playing this game

On 12/28/2023 at 4:37 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Yup of course, I've got launch day files that can be rolled back to.

Could you post this as well as instructions on how to do it for those of us having 1.1 struggles? alot of things do seem to be working in 1.0 more so than 1.1 after reading various feedback from the community

12 minutes ago, Happytoe said:

FYI,

Besides the games you already know about: Pitfall II, Star Raiders & all touchpad games (NumPad and Keyboard peripherals don't work)

This is gonna sound really stupid but did you try different controller ports and the game select switch? I thought the same thing with wizard of wor but my dumbass didn't read the cartridge and it clearly says use right controller port for 1 player game 😂

55 minutes ago, Cody2000 said:

My copy of Deadly Duck works fine! I noticed an issue with one game I recently purchased from my local game store. I always clean them first thing! I thought it was cleaned good but when I cleaned it some more it worked flawlessly! Remember these carts are 40 or 50 years old and still kicking! Lol!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cody2000 said:

This is gonna sound really stupid but did you try different controller ports and the game select switch? I thought the same thing with wizard of wor but my dumbass didn't read the cartridge and it clearly says use right controller port for 1 player game 😂

Ha ha! I did the same thing with Wizard of Wor!

53 minutes ago, Happytoe said:

FYI,

Medieval Mayhem works great on mine before and after the Beta 1.1 Update

TacScan paddles have to be plugged into right control port, But you are right on this one my copy also (boots but won’t start)

Edited by MrChickenz
New member Newbie!!
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cody2000 said:

Yeah. I have the manual and the box for this game as well. I doublechecked that the Joystick should be plugged into the lefthand port and the paddle should be plugged into the righthand port. difficulty switches are set for sharing one set of paddles or two and barriers under the balloons. i did notice that if i set the controller to; PADL then plug paddles into the lefthand port, the controller type switches to DRIV. Also the DRIVING paddle works but input is very, verry laggy. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

My copy of Deadly Duck works fine! I noticed an issue with one game I recently purchased from my local game store. I always clean them first thing! I thought it was cleaned good but when I cleaned it some more it worked flawlessly! Remember these carts are 40 or 50 years old and still kicking! Lol!

Is this with 1.0 or 1.1? if it's 1.1 it's clearly either my system or my cart but someone tested it on 1.0 and it worked but I've tried numerous times on 1.1 and it just isn't having it sadly I don't have any deoxit at this time to deep clean it

12 minutes ago, Happytoe said:

Yeah. I have the manual and the box for this game as well. I doublechecked that the Joystick should be plugged into the lefthand port and the paddle should be plugged into the righthand port. difficulty switches are set for sharing one set of paddles or two and barriers under the balloons. i did notice that if i set the controller to; PADL then plug paddles into the lefthand port, the controller type switches to DRIV. Also the DRIVING paddle works but input is very, verry laggy. 

I'm guessing it's a issue with the firmware/Stella version hopefully these kinks can be ironed out I'm confident one way or another they will be

1 hour ago, Cody2000 said:

Have you seen your copy of Deadly Duck working on another 2600 or 7800 and or version 1.0 on the 2600+

This would be the first report I've seen of a game not booting on 1.1 but working on 1.0. 

4 minutes ago, Cody2000 said:

Is this with 1.0 or 1.1? if it's 1.1 it's clearly either my system or my cart but someone tested it on 1.0 and it worked but I've tried numerous times on 1.1 and it just isn't having it sadly I don't have any deoxit at this time to deep clean it

1.1 Most likely the Cart and I sometimes use the tiniest bit of Brasso on a Qtip then clean it right after with isopropyl alcohol! And the results work every time for me!

Edited by MrChickenz
New member Newbie!!