Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

2 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

These are now working for me (all NTSC):

Burger Time

Masters Of The Universe The Power Of He-Man

Robot Tank

the pesky white shelled rev 3 Coleco Donkey Kong Junior

Only one left of mine that isn't dumping properly is Smurf Rescue In Gargamel's Castle.

Nice progress!

White shellled Smurfs cartridge?

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Joint partnership but the AA guys actually write the code. I just shuffle papers around.

You know if the AA guys had their way they'd make an interface like the Retron 77 homebrew version, right? :D  

Edited by ChrisKewl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Burger Time

Robot Tank

Only one left of mine that isn't dumping properly is Smurf Rescue In Gargamel's Castle.

Nice progress!

That's my Masters of the Universe cart knackered confirmed then. 

I finally have real sports boxing working now with the new dumper 1.1.0.9, it wasn't working in 1.1.0.2 which came out with 1.1 beta. 

So thanks to the developers who have been working on this. You are improving the lives of folks in the real world. I'm able to do a little nostalgic boxing tonight thanks to y'all. 

*edit* perhaps more importantly (to me) Double Dragon 7800 now loads. I now have 0 personal carts that don't work :) 

Meanwhile Stella's paddle emulation still isn't right on Super Breakout, but I guess that's not stellas fault 🤔🤫

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I finally have real sports boxing working now with the new dumper 1.1.0.9, it wasn't working in 1.1.0.2 which came out with 1.1 beta. 

So thanks to the developers who have been working on this. You are improving the lives of folks in the real world. I'm able to do a little nostalgic boxing tonight thanks to y'all. 

*edit* perhaps more importantly (to me) Double Dragon 7800 now loads. I now have 0 personal carts that don't work :) 

Meanwhile Stella's paddle emulation still isn't right on Super Breakout, but I guess that's not stellas fault 🤔🤫

I've had this working dumper for a while but wasn't saying anything until things were more official. But yes in addition to Double Dragon, Rampage 7800 is also now working. However, 7800 Double Dragon does exhibit some odd control issues for me in my testing. And it will seem to speed up on gameplay occasionally similar to how Tower Toppler was.

I need to get about recording some of the video directly to send to the guys so they can 'see' this more.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Burger Time

Robot Tank

Nice progress!

What about NTSC white shelled Time Pilot?

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've had this working dumper for a while but wasn't saying anything until things were more official. But yes in addition to Double Dragon, Rampage 7800 is also now working. However, 7800 Double Dragon does exhibit some odd control issues for me in my testing. And it will seem to speed up on gameplay occasionally similar to how Tower Toppler was.

I need to get about recording some of the video directly to send to the guys so they can 'see' this more.

Interesting. I haven't really noticed this yet, but it's not like Double Dragon is the greatest game on 7800 anyway. And all I do is elbows lol. Still, I'm stoked it works now. It's a neat "look at this" type item. Especially on 2600+ lol. 

Edited by tradyblix

Just now, DEANJIMMY said:

What about NTSC white shelled Time Pilot?

I do not have that one, but maybe someone else does. I did have a white shelled Venture that was the same issue but I think I tossed it because I had a "Red Branding" version that worked. 

2 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I do not have that one, but maybe someone else does. I did have a white shelled Venture that was the same issue but I think I tossed it because I had a "Red Branding" version that worked. 

What's the issue with white shelled Venture?

I have an NTSC Venture with a white shell that works fine

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah, that is likely due to the other issue we are actively working to resolve.

Also, the dumper is one half of the equation. There are a number of fixes in the image itself (7800 side). Need to coordinate that release with Ben, but we (@RevEng and myself) are currently focusing on resolving some of the issues like @-^CrossBow^- mentioned above.

Chris.

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Dr Karnov said:

What's the issue with white shelled Venture?

I have an NTSC Venture with a white shell that works fine

Back on 1.0 it wasn't loading for me. It's a coleco cart, so I thought it had the same issue as the other white carts. However, I didn't try very hard as the "red" copy worked first time and I chalked it up to problematic cart. I could be wrong, it's possible. There's a lot of variables when testing games. 

5 minutes ago, raz0red said:

Yeah, that is likely due to the other issue we are actively working to resolve.

Also, the dumper is one half of the equation. There are a number of fixes in the image itself (7800 side). Need to coordinate that release with Ben, but we (myself and @RevEng) are currently focusing on resolving some of the issues like @-^CrossBow^- mentioned above.

Chris.

Thanks very much for working on this machine, it's only gotten significantly better since I got it. I know there are still some issues and maybe some of the issues will be hardware related and not fixable, But I wanted you guys to know people out here are relying on this piece of "second class hardware" for their Atari addictions. 😇

Edited by tradyblix
sarcasm quotes
  • Like 4

Just now, tradyblix said:

Back on 1.0 it wasn't loading for me. It's a coleco cart, so I thought it had the same issue as the other white carts. However, I didn't try very hard as the "red" copy worked first time and I chalked it up to problematic cart. I could be wrong, it's possible. There's a lot of variables when testing games. 

Definitely lots of variables. I have a perfect looking Threshold cart that doesn't work at all and another identical looking cart that works fine.

This is my Venture cart that has worked on every revision of the firmware, including the shipped / stock firmware

IMG_20240120_003041.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Definitely lots of variables. I have a perfect looking Threshold cart that doesn't work at all and another identical looking cart that works fine.

This is my Venture cart that has worked on every revision of the firmware, including the shipped / stock firmware

IMG_20240120_003041.jpg

Gosh that's so weird, because mine didn't work. I dunno. It's def the same one. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Gosh that's so weird, because mine didn't work. I dunno. It's def the same one. 

Weird indeed.

These carts are both pristinely clean and one has never loaded and the other has never failed to load.

40 year old carts, I guess there has to be some duff ones out there. 

Thankfully, amazingly few in my experience 

IMG_20240120_003604.jpg

Edited by Dr Karnov
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Weird indeed.

These carts are both pristinely clean and one has never loaded and the other has never failed to load.

40 year old carts, I guess there has to be some duff ones out there. 

Thankfully, amazingly few in my experience 

IMG_20240120_003604.jpg

Is this game worth getting ? I was thinking about it 

12 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

IMG_20240120_003041.jpg

If you want to learn about the Coleco white shelled issue that plagued a subset of them, read here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like Tigervision games. The only weird thing is that my least favourite one is Jawbreaker, and I think that's the one that is the most highly regarded.

I would say Marauder and Polaris are top tier, Threshold is very good, and King Kong is pretty fun