IGNORED

Peace and tranquility thread

As peace has hopefully been restored here, I think it would be quite topical to ask: What SNES moments or games take you to a calm and happy place? Is there some scene or maybe even a whole game that is zen-food for your soul? Or do you sometimes just watch the lemmings walk into water because the brainless dollops deserve it? It could be anything!

One of the most peaceful moments for me is the first time you arrive at Southtown via Cannon travel in Secret of Mana. When "A Curious Tale" starts playing, it feels like everything is in place just for a brief moment, before you are thrust back into the harsh and violent world. One of the best town themes ever created.

Edited by Wayler
video now plays at the right moment
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tokimeki Memorial, while the game has seen English fan translation, I have the cart itself, so Japanese it is. Not a bit of action to be found in the game, but man oh man are the graphics gorgeous. It is easy on the eyes, colors all over the place. Pop N Twinbee, while nerve wracking to play due to how chaotic the bell juggling can get, the music is an absolute treat for the ears, and again, the colors are plentiful.

Also, in response to the thread title, I saw what happened, now we can start talking about the games again, without mockups, or endless jibber jabber about system specs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wayler said:

I see you played the UNO reverse card or just enjoy heart attacks. But I guess they are rather peaceful after the fact.

No, I just jump on every opportunity for a pun or bad joke I'm afraid. 😅 I never owned a SNES and mostly play action games anyway, so it would be difficult for me to find a peaceful moment in a SNES game, or even in any game before the following generation (save rooms in Resident Evil games I would say).

1 hour ago, bent_pin said:

I've always enjoyed the endings of the Castlevania games:

Yes! Endings are an excellent choice in general, the chance to catch some breath after all the mayhem. I especially like the ones where we get to see people and places after the world has been saved, life returning to normal, familiar faces, etc and all the wholesome feelings that come with it. 

This montage-style epilogue is used in many games as it's a tried and true formula. And none does it better than A Link to the Past. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WavyGravy said:

We are finally free of the douchebaggery of one Kirk Johnston. He got banned for... I mean, there could be a lot of reasons, we don't know which.

Since one of the main reasons to be banned here is using two different accounts, it would be hilarious if Kirk and Jeff were actually the same person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The ending to Zelda did it well that's for certain with the montage ender bit it did, but i always felt they kind of stole it and from a game only from the year before with Act Raiser, one amazing running ending on that one to really set the tone of that victory and its impact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

i always felt they kind of stole it and from a game only from the year before with Act Raiser

Very hard for me to get into that mindset because this sort of epilogue has been used in entertainment for decades if not centuries. If we summon @johannesmutlu here, he will tell us the first game to implement this sort of ending. We can then also learn about some kind of mirecle and/or amezement. 

• Haha 3

On 1/19/2024 at 7:33 PM, WavyGravy said:

I always enjoyed the winter months in Harvest Moon when you don't have an awful lot to do on the farm.

That is a good one. Taking in some fresh crisp air, making sure your animals are nice and cozy, no need to run around watering your crops all the damn time and just forget about the ladies for a while, just chill.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Just because of the title and recent events, this came to mind.  And to be fair, some of the games music in places fits anyway.

pZ7IQzP.gif

This line did come to my mind when opening this thread but then I got to thinking about the context. The game starts with this hopeful message...aaaand immediately everything goes to shit.

So I hope you haven't doomed us all for bringing it up. 

• Haha 1