IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

16 hours ago, shane857 said:

If Atari ever were to re-release Robotron 2084, I think maybe this would be the perfect controller to release with it. Maybe make one similar, compatible with the 2600+ and 7800? 🤔. Retrogameboyz make it. I don't own one, and they are sadly out of stock. A Beautiful thing 💪

contro.jpg

I considered this controller. But I prefer the twin stick from BD Retro Mods.  It gives you the experience of being in the arcade.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I considered this controller. But I prefer the twin stick from BD Retro Mods.  It gives you the experience of being in the arcade.

For this I’m either going to build my first arcade controller since the 90s, using a PS4 as the guts so I can play on Evercade or Mac, or I’ll wait until I have room and order a custom cab with Retropie or whatever they put inside those things.

• Like 1

Of course now that I’ve preordered these games I’m wondering if they’re confirmed working with rev 1.00 firmware given I have no means available to upgrade my firmware at present? I would assume yes given there’s no official firmware update presently and releasing software that may not work on the kit currently being sold wouldn’t be a great look.

14 hours ago, shane857 said:

Does it work on the 2600+? 🤔

The twin stick “Robotron” pad is what I use to play my NTSC Robotron 2084 on my 2600+. Be nice if the plugs were a wee bit longer to sit deeper in the ports, but it works fine. I even tried playing other games, though the button placement makes that slightly awkward; likely extremely difficult if you have small hands given you have to cross over the right stick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

The twin stick “Robotron” pad is what I use to play my NTSC Robotron 2084 on my 2600+. Be nice if the plugs were a wee bit longer to sit deeper in the ports, but it works fine.

That's how I do it.  I have extension plugs that came with the twin stick.  But I don't need them since the ones wired into the controller are long enough for me.

Edit: I have the twin stick controller not the gamepad.  

13 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's how I do it.  I have extension plugs that came with the twin stick.  But I don't need them since the ones wired into the controller are long enough for me.

Honestly, I purchased my RetroGameBoyz Robotwar 2684 gamepad, more for show. While I like it, I have an Edladdin Super Twin and that's my preferred joystick for Robotron, Robotwar and Space Dungeon (5200 exclusive).

Edladdin.JPG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Honestly, I purchased my RetroGameBoyz Robotwar 2684 gamepad, more for show.

I have the twin stick.  Not the gamepad version.  For me the twin stick is better.  I misread the post earlier from Sean_1970.  I went back and fixed my post. 

12 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have the twin stick.  Not the gamepad version.  For me the twin stick is better.  I misread the post earlier from Sean_1970.  I went back and fixed my post. 

He makes good controllers.👍 I have a couple of his gamepads (Atari and ColecoVision) and purchased his 5200 controller.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have the 7800 gamepad from Retro Game Boyz.  It's a good controller.

I forgot, I have two of those. It's my controller of choice for A.R.T.I., E.X.O., Keystone Koppers.

RetroGameBoz Gamepads.jpg

• Like 2

I've been doing a bit of testing for @Ben from Plaion for two of the new carts. I've tested NTSC and PAL prototype versions of Ninja Golf and Fatal Run on stock firmware and latest firmware. All 4 carts work perfectly on both versions of the firmware.

In addition, the PAL prototypes are identical to and indistinguishable from my PAL originals while running on stock and shipped firmware 

IMG_20240201_224430.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

Unless anyone has a desperate need for cross compatibility with original PAL hardware, I would personally recommend the NTSC versions to all 2600+ owners because I think they look better. See below:

PAL version:

IMG_20240201_222220.thumb.jpg.2538599a93815bb736e5692ad11f1294.jpg

IMG_20240201_222237.thumb.jpg.9ce78512b196e64e97fa7119b6a1cd98.jpg

Other than the colour wonkiness and border (which can be fixed with zoom on the TV) is there a speed difference? That is the killer for me with NTSC/PAL comparisons, as framerate directly affects gameplay. 

I would only buy NTSC if I had the choice. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Other than the colour wonkiness and border (which can be fixed with zoom on the TV) is there a speed difference? That is the killer for me with NTSC/PAL comparisons, as framerate directly affects gameplay. 

I would only buy NTSC if I had the choice. 

I'll record some comparison videos tonight or tomorrow and post on here

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 9:04 AM, sramirez2008 said:

I use IKEA bookshelves to display my collection.

IMG_2743.jpeg

Nice!

I used to use the IKEA Benno CD/VHS shelves for my games. They worked great because they were so adjustable, and they were just the right depth for boxed games. But IKEA no longer sells them, because nobody (apparently) buys physical media anymore. :roll:  Mine didn't make the trip when I moved, since I didn't have the space for them. Everything I have is in storage bins now.

I always wanted to try this hack with the Benno shelves though. I think when I get enough time to set things up again, I may just scratch-build shelving based on that idea.

• Thanks 1