IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Which one?

$_57.PNG?set_id=880000500F

Or even the font of the title on the box

Air_Sea_Battle_cover.jpg

Bezerk had the red box font, bit the early bauhaus style font doesn't seem to show up much.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hizzy said:

$_57.PNG?set_id=880000500F

Or even the font of the title on the box

Air_Sea_Battle_cover.jpg

Bezerk had the red box font, bit the early bauhaus style font doesn't seem to show up much.

I wanted to give the impression that Atari was simply coming back after a 30 year hiatus and used the last 2600 cart ever made Klax (1990) as a starting point, where the title font was Eras Bold ITC.

Atari did provide me a font that they had created from scratch recently - it's very similar to the font shown in your packshots they called it Atari 1972. We used it on the back of box for the line "Have You Played Atari Today"

Then main body text is Poppins font.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I wanted to give the impression that Atari was simply coming back after a 30 year hiatus and used the last 2600 cart ever made Klax (1990) as a starting point, where the title font was Eras Bold ITC.

That is cool to know!

Edited by hizzy

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

7800 games and boxes never used that font. The one they are using is accurate to Atari Corp. 1987

I would have liked the old font on the Bezerk box but the reasoning makes sense!

21 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Atari did provide me a font that they had created from scratch recently - it's very similar to the font shown in your packshots they called it Atari 1972. We used it on the back of box for the line "Have You Played Atari Today"

Then main body text is Poppins font.

Just have to say Klax is one of the most impressive arcade ports to grace the 2600. If you like puzzle games it’s worth a look.

On-topic I’m looking forward to getting the box from Amazon with these goodies 😁

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Wasnt it known as the Europad?

Yes there was talk about the naming. I looked at wikipedia and what other companies call them and generally GamePad seemed to be the normal term. 

Europad is what the fans called them. The name from the box was Joypad.

On 4/10/2024 at 8:01 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Some images from the factory of the retail stock freshly manufactured from a dispatch inspection last week.

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (9).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (4).jpeg

image (5).jpeg

image (6).jpeg

image (7).jpeg

image (8).jpeg

Are you going to include a note in each box about how to update the 2600+ firmware?  Is there a plan in place on how to get the word out to all of the 2600+ owners that a dumper and firmware update is/will be available? I just worry that the majority of 2600+ owners who are not on this forum won’t ever get the best experience that they could with their 2600+. :) 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Plumbob said:

Are you going to include a note in each box about how to update the 2600+ firmware?  Is there a plan in place on how to get the word out to all of the 2600+ owners that a dumper and firmware update is/will be available? I just worry that the majority of 2600+ owners who are not on this forum won’t ever get the best experience that they could with their 2600+. :) 

I suspect 90% of casual gamers who have purchased the 2600+ know nothing about these firmware updates.

It's unfortunate that the process for updating the firmware was a bit of an afterthought, but if you go to the "help & FAQ" page on Atari.com there isn't even a section for the 2600+ with any support information. Hopefully this will change when we (eventually) get an "official" final release of the firmware update. The momentum does seem to be slowing on the 2600+, but I'm hopeful it will get back on track again.

• Like 7