IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

On 3/5/2024 at 6:51 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Had a bit of time this afternoon. Enjoy!

Biggest changes are in the DPAD feel even though that is constrained by the general aesthetics of the Gamepad. I tried to prevent directional pressing errors as playing with the original pad it was too easy to make a unintended directional movement. I think I acheived it without making diagonal movements too hard. Anyway I'm sure the internet will judge when it comes out in May. 

It is geeat to see the differences and after I watched the vid I placed my preorder for one pad and two cables🤙

I have two original CX78 and will keep one to compare it with the CX78+.

The other might be sold with a console on ebay. 

43 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Thanks for the video - that looks great! I'll be getting one for sure (and hacking it to turn it into a right-handed controller - I've never been able to use a d-pad with my left hand).

Question - is there any reinforcement inside the joystick shaft? It appears to be hollow. I've never had an original CX-78, so I'm unfamiliar with it.

The reason I ask, is that I had a Gravis GamePad years ago (favorite gamepad ever) that used a plastic screw-in joystick, that screwed into a metal-threaded insert. The weak point was always at the top of the plastic threads (at the base of the joystick handle), where the handle would snap off. This was especially so if the joystick loosened up a little - causing more stress at that point because of the extra movement and reduced shoulder support. Gravis sold replacements for awhile, but I didn't stockpile them when I had the chance :roll: . Do you think Atari might sell replacement screw-in joysticks for this new one?

The joystick feels very solid screwed into the dpad. After using it a lot I can't see you snapping it. 

Only thing that I want to look out for durability wise on release is the plastic thread on the joystick going into the metal screwhole.

But to be honest the joystick for me is a mere novelty, it's interesting for 5 minutes but then it's like yeah I'm unscrewing this thing and using the dpad.

Will we sell spare parts, I thought about it recently, little pack with taller fire buttons, a dpad with no screwhole and maybe a couple of different weighted elastomers. But then it's a load of time spent with small return. See how it goes I guess.

PXL_20240306_203002318.thumb.jpg.3d664ad94bd7e936a56b08b12b0c0009.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2024 at 5:58 PM, MikeM_ said:

Looking forward to when these arrive. 👍🏼 

Ordered 2 of them back when pre-orders went live. 

I own an original cx78 and it is a great controller to use on the 2600+ for 7800 games. I prefer using it without the control stick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The joystick feels very solid screwed into the dpad. After using it a lot I can't see you snapping it. 

I'll let you know. ;) 

It does appear to have a much broader base than the Gravis one did, so it looks to be much sturdier there.

Only thing that I want to look out for durability wise on release is the plastic thread on the joystick going into the metal screwhole.

I recently 3D printed a replacement joystick for my Gravis (yep... still want to use it) that's hollow, so I can glue the end of a brass machine screw into it. Haven't put it together yet (needs rewiring), but the rest of the controller will probably break before the screw fails.

But to be honest the joystick for me is a mere novelty, it's interesting for 5 minutes but then it's like yeah I'm unscrewing this thing and using the dpad.

I played my 2600 with a shortened joystick, using my thumb on the top of it. Weird, I know. But it made me a big fan of the dpad+thumbstick combo.

Will we sell spare parts, I thought about it recently, little pack with taller fire buttons, a dpad with no screwhole and maybe a couple of different weighted elastomers. But then it's a load of time spent with small return. See how it goes I guess.

Wondering if it's possible to make the opposite of this: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1295 to use the CX-78 as a Sega-compatible controller on 2600s?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 22:06, Ben from Plaion said:

Il joystick sembra molto solido avvitato nel Dpad. Dopo averlo usato molto, non riesco a vederti scattarlo. 

L'unica cosa a cui voglio prestare attenzione per quanto riguarda la durata al momento del rilascio è la filettatura di plastica sul joystick che entra nel foro della vite di metallo.

Ma ad essere sincero il joystick per me è una mera novità, è interessante per 5 minuti ma poi è come se sì, sto svitando questa cosa e usando il Dpad.

Venderemo pezzi di ricambio, ci ho pensato di recente, un piccolo pacchetto con pulsanti di fuoco più alti, un Dpad senza foro per la vite e forse un paio di elastomeri di peso diverso. Ma poi è un sacco di tempo speso con un piccolo ritorno. Vedi come va, immagino.

PXL_20240306_203002318.thumb.jpg.3d664ad94bd7e936a56b08b12b0c0009.jpg

Good evening, congratulations for the excellent work and for the passion you put into it.

If it is possible, (and if you can answer) I would like to ask you when it will be possible to pre-order this controller and the 7800 titles on Amazon Italy.

Thank you

• Like 1

14 hours ago, susy said:

Good evening, congratulations for the excellent work and for the passion you put into it.

If it is possible, (and if you can answer) I would like to ask you when it will be possible to pre-order this controller and the 7800 titles on Amazon Italy.

Thank you

Grazie Mille 

I had a request for stocks of all the new lines from Plaion Italy office, so they will appear soon on Amazon Italy, kind regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Grazie mille 

Ho ricevuto richiesta di stock di tutte le nuove linee dall'ufficio Plaion Italia, quindi presto appariranno su Amazon Italia, cordiali saluti.

Excellent news.

Thank you!!

On 3/12/2024 at 4:10 AM, infinite.pies said:

The new games and controllers are finally showing up for pre-order at New Zealand retailers.

I can now order them locally for delivery on launch day without paying ridiculous import prices. Yay!

I just checked and EB Games as well as Mighty Ape have almost all of the range.  The paddle controllers and 4-in-1 isn’t available, but that seems to be a stock issue elsewhere.

Presumably we are getting PAL versions?  I didn’t think to check that.  No indication on the Berzerk re-release except the Australia / New Zealand importer is printed on the bottom of the box.

6 hours ago, boggis the cat said:

I just checked and EB Games as well as Mighty Ape have almost all of the range.  The paddle controllers and 4-in-1 isn’t available, but that seems to be a stock issue elsewhere.

Presumably we are getting PAL versions?  I didn’t think to check that.  No indication on the Berzerk re-release except the Australia / New Zealand importer is printed on the bottom of the box.

Yes, JB Hifi have them all too. EB Games have stock in their retail stores, so you can buy off the shelf on release day if you have a store nearby (apart from the 4-in-1 paddles which sold out everywhere in NZ a few weeks ago).

The original games such as Berzerk were all NTSC worldwide. Ben has said previously that the 7800 games will be PAL or NTSC depending on the local market, so I'm assuming that Food Fight, Ninja Golf and Fatal Run will all be PAL here when released.

I've purchased all of the past releases from Mighty Ape - they despatch the day before the official launch day, so you should receive the new games on May 24 - which, of course, will actually be May 23 in most of the world due to the time zone difference!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Europe and Australia have a PAL cart and USA are NTSC. They are denoted PAL on the back of the box and a P on the back of the cart. 

Also I made a small last minute change to the DPad and extended the arms 2mm and rounded the edges a bit more. Its was more comfortable to play.

Untitled-11.jpg

sdf.jpg

sdasdasdasda.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

So you hit "GO" on the production line? Or does the button say "ENGAGE", "START", "ARE YOU SURE THERE ARE NO MORE CHANGE ORDERS"?

It'd already started. The dpad can be pressed out pretty quickly then final assembly screwing it together and packaging up is also a rapid process

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hizzy said:

The paddle isn't a great value compared to the paddle with game. 47 dollars for the paddle, 59 for paddle and game!

I agree. When purchasing a second set, I actually got the paddles with the games; it wasn't much more and the paddle only option wasn't available at the time anyways.