IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

47 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Well seriously... HOW MANY lucrative offers is the Al Lewis estate fielding these days?  What are they gonna hold out for?  What are they saving his likeness for?  Big Hollywood deepfake contract coming along any day now?

It's either Al or dracula flow.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Surely you would just hack the ROM to have a different face in the game and then slap it on a cart and done. Even five of six changes to the current photo could make the character look significantly different enough to avoid copyright issues. 

Put some sunglasses and a beard on him! 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The problem I have with this is that guess who foots the bill here......Plaion/Atari. I just got a batch of 'faulty returns' from a retailer. Out of about 30 products (mixed console,accessories and games) not a single one was faulty, most of the games were still sealed but box damaged. Drives me nuts.

Very frustrating as all the stock we send to retail is of course box fresh

Just to note there is a specific instruction from Atari to their Atari.com fulfilment centre. All the games need to be sent in a cardboard box to avoid the crushed box horror show you experienced.

Surely Amazon recognise that you supply your games to them in perfect condition and any squashed boxes are their shortcoming at the point of delivery? Therefore they should foot the bill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Surely Amazon recognise that you supply your games to them in perfect condition and any squashed boxes are their shortcoming at the point of delivery? Therefore they should foot the bill. 

You'd think but seems Amazon is just throwing their weight around.  If you want to make something of it then you must not want to sell through Amazon, I'm guessing.  I made the point earlier about them being careless in shipping to the point of damaging and sometimes destroying what is basically my private property.  Their idea of making it right is to just send me another one, never-mind the delay and inconvenience, but from the sounds of things by lumping shipping damage in with defects they're basically just stealing from Atari to cover up their own negligence.  Real classy.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Everything I ordered from Atari also arrived in a box carefully packed!

Ironically, then I saw this...

Even so, this minor mistake is not on the same level of Amazon's "Here we went ahead and put this in a trash bag for you since it will be trash by the time you get it."

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I just received this. All the way from the UK to U.S.A. It had no packaging at all! Just a piece of Fragile Tape! And no damage whatsoever! lol and it was Not from Amazon! Now that’s funny! These are just test paddles so it didn’t need packaging.

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

I just received this. All the way from the UK to U.S.A. It had no packaging at all! Just a piece of Fragile Tape! And no damage whatsoever! lol and it was Not from Amazon! Now that’s funny! These are just test paddles so it didn’t need packaging.

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

Must be Italian.

• Haha 5

I also got a partially crushed Food Fight from Amazon because it was shipped in a bubblope.  I was annoyed and considered returning it but decided I could live with it because only the bottom of the box was crushed..

Since Amazon's new policy in the last year of shipping things in bubblopes that should be shipped in boxes, I've received a lot of damaged stuff.  Even when they managed to ship things in a box, they are frugal with packing material and things are often still damaged.  It used to be I could go well over a year without damaged Amazon shipments, now it's at least once every 2-3 months.  Like others, things sometimes arrive with a label slapped on the retail box.

It's a shame Amazon can't get their act together and improve these issues.

Perhaps Amazon has secretly decided being a mega online shopping destination is too much work and is trying to cut back on customer orders by convincing people to buy locally or from other retailers.  Those other options (except eBay) have rarely resulted in damaged deliveries for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The problem I have with this is that guess who foots the bill here......Plaion/Atari. I just got a batch of 'faulty returns' from a retailer. Out of about 30 products (mixed console,accessories and games) not a single one was faulty, most of the games were still sealed but box damaged. Drives me nuts.

I'd be game for a "scratch and dent" copy of Ninja Golf if you've got one.  Also, maybe you could offload the others to @Albert and sell the games sans box through AtariAge?  Or as fun alternative, sign the damaged boxes with "Eligible for Prime" and auction 'em off on eBay.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, akator said:

I also got a partially crushed Food Fight from Amazon because it was shipped in a bubblope.  I was annoyed and considered returning it but decided I could live with it because only the bottom of the box was crushed..

Since Amazon's new policy in the last year of shipping things in bubblopes that should be shipped in boxes, I've received a lot of damaged stuff.  Even when they managed to ship things in a box, they are frugal with packing material and things are often still damaged.  It used to be I could go well over a year without damaged Amazon shipments, now it's at least once every 2-3 months.  Like others, things sometimes arrive with a label slapped on the retail box.

It's a shame Amazon can't get their act together and improve these issues.

Perhaps Amazon has secretly decided being a mega online shopping destination is too much work and is trying to cut back on customer orders by convincing people to buy locally or from other retailers.  Those other options (except eBay) have rarely resulted in damaged deliveries for me.

I guess we can’t complain about Amazon. Especially if we Pay for Prime we get Free delivery! lol. I can’t wait until they go full force with drone delivery and they start dropping our packages from the sky! 😂. And they spent all our Prime money on those new vans.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

I guess we can’t complain about Amazon. Especially if we Pay for Prime we get Free delivery! lol. I can’t wait until they go full force with drone delivery and they start dropping our packages from the sky! 😂. And they spent all our Prime money on those new vans.

Death by box of Atari carts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Well seriously... HOW MANY lucrative offers is the Al Lewis estate fielding these days?  What are they gonna hold out for?  What are they saving his likeness for?  Big Hollywood deepfake contract coming along any day now?

Thing is, you never know how much someone will expect for their IP. I was talking to a company a short while back about getting a license from them for a luke warm ancient IP and was all cordial, going well, I explained the financial model and that I expected sales of around 5-10k units, so a small deal. Guy came back talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars if not 1 million.

I didnt even bother responding.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

6 hours ago, akator said:

Same here, my Fatal Run copy from Amazon arrived partially crushed at the bottom 😟
The game was packed with a CX78+ controller in one of those extremely thin cardboard envelopes. This is the first time Amazon has sent me an item in inappropriate packaging.

That sucks ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thing is, you never know how much someone will expect for their IP. I was talking to a company a short while back about getting a license from them for a luke warm ancient IP and was all cordial, going well, I explained the financial model and that I expected sales of around 5-10k units, so a small deal. Guy came back talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars if not 1 million.

Well this is probably worth a million...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I order my Atari items from Atari.  Glad I didn't go the Amazon route due to how they package things.

I was lucky apparently.  I've ordered everything direct from Atari, but the one item I DID order from Amazon (Mr. Run and Jump) arrived without any issues.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

@Ben from Plaion, did you ever consider releasing titles, which are not fully licensed but are just very similar? For instance there are a lot of 1942 clones in the App Store. I guess no one is suing Apple for selling them. I find it ridiculous to want 1M$ for a game released 40 years ago. 

Sadly, my Fatal Run replacement arrived today in another unpadded envelope from Amazon US. It also is damaged :(. No more Amazon for me. I will only order Atari from Atari.

@Ben from Plaion Not sure if this helps your cause, but I have attached Amazon's CS response.

image.thumb.png.717ed92a1e7eecaeff4a3517a595a2d2.pngimage.thumb.png.0e92bfe6fbe3e397017f406860e2a4c4.pngimage.thumb.png.9571b34f06691efd17f914c9440e10e0.png

Edited by MMarcoux66
Added Amazon's response
  • Sad 1

@Ben from Plaion   I hope you are able to repackage all your working returns and have them sent to a 'local' Atari shipping facility so you can sell them and cut your losses.  Might be a good idea to have a few extra boxes printed from each run so you can do this (if you haven't already).  I see it as early days...as each run of new product is released, you will get a better feel of how customer patterns are, how things are handled by various sellers, and be able to learn how to react and make changes as time goes on.  I sadly wasted much of my life as a retail manager.  I've seen a lot of strange stuff.

Maybe Amazon needs to add 'Fragile stickers' to their Atari shipments as well.  Maybe find other regional sellers that can handle shipments better (but not get rid of Amazon).  The more exposure, the better.  In the states Wal-Mart would probably a good add for sales, possibly Best Buy as well.  And they both have a large online presence.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 11:02 PM, MrChickenz said:

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

@MrChickenz  Nah, I think I got you beat.  Mine arrived from the UK in a Headphone box!

@Brad_from_the_80s  Mine were Italian, too.

IMG_0106.jpg

• Haha 5

On 7/9/2024 at 5:29 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Been thinking about releasing lookalike games, interesting topic.

Obviously you can change the name of a game, have a different main character. But the rest of it, level design, background graphics, music, sound effects, how close can you get?

Ask Svengoolie if he’d do it. 😏 

• Haha 1