IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Sculptured Software did the port of Commando for the 7800, not Data East.

Ok, so Data East did the publishing then?

What will this imply as to obtaining rights? Does Sculptured Software still exist in some legal sense? Is Data Easts role as publisher obsolete?

5 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Ok, so Data East did the publishing then?

What will this imply as to obtaining rights? Does Sculptured Software still exist in some legal sense? Is Data Easts role as publisher obsolete?

Data East licensed it from Capcom. That license has likely since reverted back to Capcom.

Sculptured Software was purchased by Acclaim in 1995. Who were subsequently purchased by Activision in 2006.

All roads lead to Activision.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Data East licensed it from Capcom. That license has likely since reverted back to Capcom.

Sculptured Software was purchased by Acclaim in 1995. Who were subsequently purchased by Activision in 2006.

All roads lead to Activision.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Nice information. You know a lot of this type of information has been lost even by the biggest companies in the game. I know this as I have been chasing down licenses like this for years, you wouldnt believe the amount of times I hear "No one knows who actually owns this" and many times you cant press on and release.

So in Commandos case I'd need a license from Capcom for the Commando IP trade dress but then also need to license the game code....unless somewhere Capcom secured that, but I'd hazard a guess and say they didnt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Well, no, because I'd still need the approval / license from the developer of the code for the 7800 port

Well, I’m really not sure they’d be all-no-to-everything, or ask tons of money: they’re to my knowledge more ‘in it for the nostalgia, the fandom-factor and sheer homebrew-muscles/showcase skill’.

Edited by Giles N

5 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

So in Commandos case I'd need a license from Capcom for the Commando IP trade dress but then also need to license the game code....unless somewhere Capcom secured that, but I'd hazard a guess and say they didnt.

Could always pay someone to rewrite the game from scratch using modern tools and more advanced circuit boards than what they had back then...

..Al

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Ooo this is exciting. I didn't see this asked when skimming. Is the Europad and 1 to 1 recreation?

While I like my one Europad better than the Painlines, it's still more stiff than like a NES pad.

One of the things I disliked about the Europads was that the silicone membranes for the contacts on the D-pad were a bit too tall, so they traveled a bit before contact - and in doing so, sometimes the edge of the d-pad circle would catch on/under the frame and stick a bit.

Also  they were really light, compared to the NES and SMS pads, so they felt kinda flimsy.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Well, no, because I'd still need the approval / license from the developer of the code for the 7800 port

Since it was published by Atari directly, not by 3rd party, I wonder if you would need this?

Data East licensed it from Capcom and hired Sculptured to develop it, but it wasn't published by Data East, but rather By Atari Corp. Depending on the original contract Language, Atari might actually still have rights to the specific 7800 Cartridge version of it, so it might just come down to license from Capcom for the title, since it contains no original Capcom code.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Ooo this is exciting. I didn't see this asked when skimming. Is the Europad and 1 to 1 recreation?

While I like my one Europad better than the Painlines, it's still more stiff than like a NES pad.

Aesthetically it looks exactly the same. Buttons feel the same but I've been engineering the DPAD to be better. I've been dropping info here and there in AA regarding what I've been doing. I just cant see anyone prefering the original CX78 to the CX78+. But that is my opinion. 

If I get time I'll do a video to show the internals of the CX78+ in the next few days.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

One of the things I disliked about the Europads was that the silicone membranes for the contacts on the D-pad were a bit too tall, so they traveled a bit before contact - and in doing so, sometimes the edge of the d-pad circle would catch on/under the frame and stick a bit.

Also  they were really light, compared to the NES and SMS pads, so they felt kinda flimsy.

Absolutely no sticking of the DPAD in the new CX78+ and I've tested it for dozens of hours. 

I did a blind test of about 10 people in the office and told them to close their eyes and feel both CX78 and CX78+ DPADs, all but one prefered CX78+ so that gave me confidence I was going in the right direction

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Which means that getting rerelease of 1942 is easier, as the code has been rewritten for the homebrew version already. This would be fantastic title for Atari 2600+

• Like 1

Just now, 7800Knight said:

Ninja Golf AND Fatal Run for the Atari 7800!?  I presume they will work fine on an Atari 7800 unit so I want to grab those!

Yes, tested and works on legacy 7800 machines. Offical description on the back of box says something like "Compatible with 2600+ and 7800 Video Game Systems"

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Since it was published by Atari directly, not by 3rd party, I wonder if you would need this?

Data East licensed it from Capcom and hired Sculptured to develop it, but it wasn't published by Data East, but rather By Atari Corp. Depending on the original contract Language, Atari might actually still have rights to the specific 7800 Cartridge version of it, so it might just come down to license from Capcom for the title, since it contains no original Capcom code.

Yes maybe, but it all depends on the detail of the original and subsequent contracts, clarity is needed as someone can always come out of the woodwork and may rightfully have a claim, then you get into cease and desists and lawyer fees... which for low print runs can be catastrophic

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Your god damn right. Never will I release a BW cart label, absolutely disgusting. 

Damn, and I was gonna ask you to publish my new game - Monochrome Man in Black & White World, but you just won't. The art just won't allow it.

• Haha 10