IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The extension cables have been extensively tested by the factory and me with CX40+ Joystick, CX30+ Paddles and CX78+ Gamepad.

Just to make sure... you tested both paddles, right?  Not just the player 1 paddle...

(doesn't hurt to be too sure.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7800Knight said:

I will be pre-ordering Ninja Golf and Fatal Run.  I'm glad to hear that they are getting manuals.

I watched this video a moment ago.

The title makes a point.  I wonder why Nintendo and Sega don't re-issue original cartridges.

I think the reason Nintendo and Sega don’t follow suit is because they don’t have to. 

Their strength is in their 1st party titles that they still own. Mario, Sonic, Zelda, etc. it’s super easy for them to release greatest hits collections for modern consoles and satisfy a majority of the consumers. 

A lot of Atari’s top hits were licensed from, or produced by 3rd parties. Space Invaders, PAC-Man, Donkey Kong, Pitfall!…

Atari can’t easily repackage 2600 games that other companies own, so building a replica console that allows us to replay all our games, regardless of who owns the IP makes great sense. Plus they can re-release the IP they do have and generate new buzz in addition. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

I guess Disney owns Ballblazer now?

Lucas Arts is dead, but then resurrected in a what seems to be a bizarre quagmire of licensing.

https://www.pcgamer.com/lucasfilm-games-returns-as-the-official-home-of-star-wars-games-and-more/

I am not sure why we would need a re-issue of Ballblazer.  The game is great as it was released and, while price has gone up considerably since I picked up my three copies, it can still be found.

• Like 1

Along with some re-releases of some great 7800 games, Atari could maybe also make some completely new games (such as they did with Mr. Run and Jump).

And then there's the homebrew ones which looks likes some awesome ones among them (looking through the Atari Age store. I've got several 2600 and 7800 games there on my wish-list). 

• Like 5

Damn.. what exciting news!  Once the 7800 games are available from a Canadian store it's an instant buy for me.  Assuming it'll be Amazon.ca? 

I gotta say, the 2600+ has been a magical ride.  I was somewhat worried this would be a flash-in-the-pan experience but the release of 'new' content is very welcome.  

I am somewhat lucky that there is a mostly-undiscovered 2nd hand gaming store in my town that still has many original 2600 games for $5 each -- I've been a frequent customer!   But for the 7800 I'd much rather buy these new versions than deal with fleabay. 

• Like 4

@astroguy Fellow Canadian here and I agree with you. Though since I got my 2600+ console (around a couple months ago) I've been gradually growing a games collection for it and getting the majority of my 2600 games via Ebay.

There's a little shop in my town that sells old toys, games and such which I plan to visit real soon. I talked to the shop-owner on the phone recently to ask about if they have some 2600 game cartridges for sale, and he tells me that yes he has a bunch of them, so hopefully I'll be able to score some good games and deals there.

• Like 4

I actually own a 7800 gamepad already.  I bought one years ago from B&C Computervisions at the Classic Gaming Expo 2000 in Las Vegas.  I never saw it before and the vendors explained it was from the European release of the 7800 unit.  I prefer using the gamepad on some games like Double Dragon.

I am surprised that wasn't the sort of controller Atari released here in North America with the 7800 to compete against the NES and Sega Master System, both of which had control pads.

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Who wrote it, member of AA?

I wrote the code, @TIX did the graphics and @miker contributed the C64 POKEY music. Prior to the Atari take over, @Albert had suggested changing the name and releasing it in the store but I was not comfortable doing that. If you are interested and can get licensing then I have no issues with it being released.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

There will be some stock arriving in the US in a few months that will have the latest firmware on it.

As for hardware revision. We have no current plans.

That's all I ask for. I would suggest to add a manual to the console this time too. Very big impact for low costs in terms of the standard elderly customer you appeal to with this product! After all: it's all about emotions with retro!

4 minutes ago, ChopperCommando said:

Just pre-ordered Food Fight.  I bought this game the first time back in 1989 or so when I got my 7800, and it was one of my favorite games for the system.  Looking forward to having a new copy again!

I did too.  It's a fun game.  I was going to buy a used copy online but I'm glad I waited.  This will be my first time owning the game.  I've only played the ROM version of it.  Having a physical copy will be great.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I did too.  It's a fun game.  I was going to buy a used copy online but I'm glad I waited.  This will be my first time owning the game.  I've only played the ROM version of it.  Having a physical copy will be great.  

I was going to buy a used copy, too, but just the loose carts alone are selling for like $20 and up on eBay.  For just a few dollars more I can get a brand new copy with box and manual and support Atari for future products.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2024 at 2:13 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Going live with retail listings for pre-order this week / next week.

Launching May 24th 

FATALRUN_7800_BoxShot.jpg

FOODFIGHT_7800_BoxShot.jpg

NINJAGOLF_7800_BoxShot.jpg

ATARI GAMEPAD-CX78 BOXSHOT.jpg

ATARI PADDLES-CX30 BOXSHOT.jpg

ATARI EXTENSION-CABLE BOXSHOT.jpg

I won't be pre-ordering thou. I'll wait until they are officially released, and buy on Amazon.

• Like 1