IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

10 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Games and pad now on Amazon Germany but no cables yet.

For 24,99€ I might get a pad but there is time until May to think about it😊

Screenshot_20240203_204130_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It's great that these are coming out worldwide. I'm hoping the cables are available everywhere soon too. And, definitely a good point about having until May to think about it. I ordered the three you have pictured there as soon as they were put on preorder on Atari's website, but I'm on the fence about Food Fight. I have that game already, but I also love that it has full color artwork and it's a complete box experience, plus I really want to support Atari and Plaion by purchasing the products they're putting out. Good sales numbers will encourage more products. But, as you said, I have until May to think about it. 😎

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Look, they didn't do so good with the schooling, alright? 🤣

At least on the Atari store page, it's correctly listed as 5 feet. Sure, it's slightly under, but less than an inch under. So, you round up. (at least that's what they taught me in school)

This is probably in a way my fault.

I started the extensions at 4ft for US and 1.2m for every other territory.

A couple of months ago I thought it would be better to have 5ft and 1.5m to match cable lengths of CX40+, CX30+ and CX78+.

Likely people involved in setting up product listings may of worked with an older excel product set up sheet.

Bottom line is all manufactured extension leads are 5ft / 1.5m

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This is probably in a way my fault.

I started the extensions at 4ft for US and 1.2m for every other territory.

A couple of months ago I thought it would be better to have 5ft and 1.5m to match cable lengths of CX40+, CX30+ and CX78+.

Likely people involved in setting up product listings may of worked with an older excel product set up sheet.

Bottom line is all manufactured extension leads are 5ft / 1.5m

If they were going to have the wrong info, at least it says it's shorter than it really is. If people get the cable and it says 6 feet but it's only 5 feet, then you get a flood of salty reviews. If it says 4 feet and it's actually 5 feet, then people are more likely to be happy about it, which should lead to happy reviews.

Though, that's far from the only page on Amazon with slightly faulty info on it.

4 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

If they were going to have the wrong info, at least it says it's shorter than it really is. If people get the cable and it says 6 feet but it's only 5 feet, then you get a flood of salty reviews. If it says 4 feet and it's actually 5 feet, then people are more likely to be happy about it, which should lead to happy reviews.

Though, that's far from the only page on Amazon with slightly faulty info on it.

I'm sure it will be corrected.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

It's great that these are coming out worldwide. I'm hoping the cables are available everywhere soon too. And, definitely a good point about having until May to think about it. I ordered the three you have pictured there as soon as they were put on preorder on Atari's website, but I'm on the fence about Food Fight. I have that game already, but I also love that it has full color artwork and it's a complete box experience, plus I really want to support Atari and Plaion by purchasing the products they're putting out. Good sales numbers will encourage more products. But, as you said, I have until May to think about it. 😎

I will go for one pad, keep one of my original pads for comparison. The other old pad will be sold together with a 7800 Scart console and a Proline stick. I will get some cables as there are no other cables available with good quality anywhere🤙

I might buy one of the games NTSC, if they ran faster as the PAL versions?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm sure it will be corrected.

No doubt. Either way, it's not hurting my feelings. I was joking about the math thing. You guys are pumping out products right and left and simultaneously working on updates for the 2600+. With all that going on, a minor mistake or two is bound to slip through.

2 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I will go for one pad, keep one of my original pads for comparison. The other old pad will be sold together with a 7800 Scart console and a Proline stick. I will get some cables as there are no other cables available with good quality anywhere🤙

I might buy one of the games NTSC, if they ran faster as the PAL versions?

I've heard that NTSC games do run faster. And it makes sense, 60Hz versus 50Hz. I've actually seen comments where some people over here apparently prefer fast games in PAL format because it makes the game slightly easier, while it seems some people in Europe like the NTSC format for the speed increase, likely to make the game more challenging. That's one of the great examples of how it's nice to have options. 😀

• Like 3

Why not sell homebrew 2600/7800 games and other releases on amazon UK from atariage store? Not profitable enough or too expensive? Just curious 🤔 I know there is an ebay store. US only thou. You would make some profit from me alone! 😂

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

No doubt. Either way, it's not hurting my feelings. I was joking about the math thing. You guys are pumping out products right and left and simultaneously working on updates for the 2600+. With all that going on, a minor mistake or two is bound to slip through.

I've heard that NTSC games do run faster. And it makes sense, 60Hz versus 50Hz. I've actually seen comments where some people over here apparently prefer fast games in PAL format because it makes the game slightly easier, while it seems some people in Europe like the NTSC format for the speed increase, likely to make the game more challenging. That's one of the great examples of how it's nice to have options. 😀

60Hz versus 50Hz...an endless war! 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

For 7800 can't tell.

But some 2600 games like Discs of Tron are boring if played with 18% less speed (PAL).

Comparing Atlantis, you see the difference right away.

The PAL versions are just throttled, so it makes sense to get NTSC versions for the 2600+ as they give you the original experience.

What about the 60Hz Hdmi output on Rev2 for PAL games? The speed is the same but you just get more fps? Then keep it! Games run faster? Then keep it!!!

Laser Gates = Weltraumtunnel Quelle PAL plays better with less speed... so 20% of the PAL games are just right, 80% just too slow..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Why not sell homebrew 2600/7800 games and other releases on amazon UK from atariage store? Not profitable enough or too expensive? Just curious 🤔 I know there is an ebay store. US only thou. You would make some profit from me alone! 😂

Amazon Germany too... import from UK and US is the same now😞

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shane857 said:

It's something I am going to explore, it's not likely they would be sold on Atari's Amazon UK store, and certainly not through any of Atari's partners.  My understanding is it's fairly expensive to sell via Amazon, and it's been a long time since I have personally done (I sold lots of books on there EONS ago, before Amazon was the giant they are today).  

Anything in the AtariAge eBay store will ship internationally, I get international orders all the time.  Same with Etsy.  And the AtariAge Store.  I do understand that international shipping is expensive, as are customs and other fees. 

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record but all these ideas are talked about all the time.

Even if the commercials where sorted out with Albert, which would be a formality but still time consuming, one of the first things to deal with would be that any physical videogame sold in Europe retail must be Pegi / Usk age rated which is costly and again time consuming.

There is a workaround as direct to consumer sales are exempt to age rating regulations but that then limits sales potential.

Think about I sit there and play great homebrew games like Amoeba Jump and E.X.O and say to myself right these need to have a wider release, but then reality sets in and the thought of actually getting them out is somewhat akin to walking through treacle.

Key thing is to think really big and leverage the Atari name and Plaion distribution muscle to get IP owners to be interested. 9 out of 10 ideas probably fail, but if that one gets through it continues to bankroll the 2600+ project.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's something I am going to explore, it's not likely they would be sold on Atari's Amazon UK store, and certainly not through any of Atari's partners.  My understanding is it's fairly expensive to sell via Amazon, and it's been a long time since I have personally done (I sold lots of books on there EONS ago, before Amazon was the giant they are today).  

Anything in the AtariAge eBay store will ship internationally, I get international orders all the time.  Same with Etsy.  And the AtariAge Store.  I do understand that international shipping is expensive, as are customs and other fees. 

..Al

Hi @Albert thanks for these comments.

I am in the UK and have held off buying anything from here because of the aforementioned issues. However I am almost at the point of saying eff it and pulling the trigger.

The main question I have now is how do I know if the games work on the Plus?

I am looking at:

Tower of Rubble

Amoeba Jump

Frenzy

Dungeon Stalker

Also, are there any discounts available for purchases of multiple carts? Might help cushion the blow of the other costs. 

I would like NTSC versions as I assume that they are superior, I think you can select that on here anyway. 

Thanks again. 

Amazon Germany works for all EU countries. No customs, same currency.

I was able to get the 2600+ and paddles + games cheap from Amazon.de. But for some reason the 7800 joypads pre-order is limited to Germany only. Same thing for pre-order for paddles. Perhaps it is possible to order them later in May?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record but all these ideas are talked about all the time.

Even if the commercials where sorted out with Albert, which would be a formality but still time consuming, one of the first things to deal with would be that any physical videogame sold in Europe retail must be Pegi / Usk age rated which is costly and again time consuming.

There is a workaround as direct to consumer sales are exempt to age rating regulations but that then limits sales potential.

Think about I sit there and play great homebrew games like Amoeba Jump and E.X.O and say to myself right these need to have a wider release, but then reality sets in and the thought of actually getting them out is somewhat akin to walking through treacle.

Key thing is to think really big and leverage the Atari name and Plaion distribution muscle to get IP owners to be interested. 9 out of 10 ideas probably fail, but if that one gets through it continues to bankroll the 2600+ project.

Would it be possible to do a direct to consumer trial? I imagine there would be lots of people in the UK / EU who would buy multiple homebrews direct from this forum if given the option

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Would it be possible to do a direct to consumer trial? I imagine there would be lots of people in the UK / EU who would buy multiple homebrews direct from this forum if given the option

The Atari Age store is direct to consumer there are just larger international shipping fees. Do you mean direct to consumer from a facility in the UK and another facility in the EU?

2 hours ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

The Atari Age store is direct to consumer there are just larger international shipping fees. Do you mean direct to consumer from a facility in the UK and another facility in the EU?

I mean any system where a single unboxed cart doesn't cost $60-70 with possible import duty in top. I don't know how the logistics would work, but I'm sure there is a market for people to buy AtariAge products in pounds sterling / euro and pay reasonable shipping rates.

I may be totally wrong, but I assume that the actual carts / PCBs are all manufactured in Asia, so just a system where we don't need to import from the USA to keep costs down 

• Like 2

Heads up for Aussies :

EBGames and Jbhifi have all of these 7800 games up for preorder. 

https://www.ebgames.com.au/search?q=Atari+7800

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/search?page=1&query=atari 7800&saleItems=false&toggle[onPromotion]=false

(I own Food Fight already but want to get the other two.)

I assume other retailers like Big W and Amazon AU will follow suit as that’s where I bought my 2600+ and copies of Mr Run and Jump and Bezerk Enhanced, respectively. 

1 hour ago, Hawkangel said:

Heads up for Aussies :

EBGames and Jbhifi have all of these 7800 games up for preorder. 

https://www.ebgames.com.au/search?q=Atari+7800

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/search?page=1&query=atari 7800&saleItems=false&toggle[onPromotion]=false

(I own Food Fight already but want to get the other two.)

I assume other retailers like Big W and Amazon AU will follow suit as that’s where I bought my 2600+ and copies of Mr Run and Jump and Bezerk Enhanced, respectively. 

That's good.

Nothing yet from EBGames and JB HiFi in New Zealand, but I live in hope! They're both selling the 2600+ here, so hopefully they'll stock the new games too.

• Like 1