IGNORED

CX78+ Gamepad, controller extention cable, Fatal Run 7800 cartridge, Food Fight 7800 cartridge, Nija Golf 7800 cartidge = now on Atari's website

PowerDubs

7 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Would it be possible to sell both the PAL and NTSC versions on Amazon UK, selected by a dropdown?

Great idea!

Many Amazon listings have options for different colours/versions of a product, their infrastructure for this is in place.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah, that final line is the killer.

I basically want to only play on the 2600 Plus, so I want the best versions and region is not a concern.

Berzerk Enhaced and Mr Run and Jump were  NTSC here in the UK, I wonder if anyone on original hardware returned them to Amazon?

Well there is  slight difference here in that either PAL or NTSC 2600 legacy machines accept either PAL or NTSC carts but this is as I understand it not the case for legacy 7800 PAL or NTSC machines, there is a distinct difference that must be taken into account.

10 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Could you put a dip switch on the cart, PAL to NTSC? Or would that increase the manufacturing cost too much?

This is pretty great idea & innovative idea, but I assume the design of the carts have already been finalized.

43 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Could you put a dip switch on the cart, PAL to NTSC? Or would that increase the manufacturing cost too much?

This would be ideal, but I've already added instruction manuals and the costs of 7800 carts is higher then 2600 carts whilst maintaining the $29.99 price point. I want to give everything but my bosses keep me under pressure for financial returns with COGs vs invoiced income and consumers will not want to pay more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Thank you Ben. I appreciate that this one is tricky.

If there ever becomes a way to purchase NTSC versions here in the UK then I will.

I suppose at the very least and worst case,  it may end up that old games being re-released are PAL 50... but new games should be PAL 60, or at least full speed and colour adjusted.

I’m sure someone on eBay will accommodate you 😉

My only concern is that the carts work with 1.00 firmware as I’m not beta testing and have zero need for the update at present.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, NTSC and PAL (or SECAM on the 2600!) makes things more difficult.

I think making cartridges that match the region of the original 2600/7800 is safest, but the packaging should reflect it. "Compatible with the new Atari 2600+ and the old-school US-region Atari 7800" or something a little cheeky like that.

• Like 2

I was looking at the listing for the new CX78+ and it says "Based on the gamepad included with the European version of the Atari 7800 released in 1987". The problem is that the "European" 7800 wasn't released until 1989. :ponder:

Mitch

I think there were a few Atari dealers that imported it. Like Best and B&C, but that could have been after the 7800 was discontinued. I should find my boxed CX78 and see what is the date on it.

Mitch

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I think there were a few Atari dealers that imported it. Like Best and B&C, but that could have been after the 7800 was discontinued. I should find my boxed CX78 and see what is the date on it.

Mitch

Ya, there were a few Atari retailers in the US that stocked the 7800 joypad. I bought mine in the US in the early 90's.  While it was a long time ago, it was from someone like B&C, Toad Computers or Telegames USA.  Maybe even Radio Shack or Atari mail order. 

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes but because in the case of 7800 owners in Europe I think I'm right in saying that an NTSC 60hz cart just wont work so owners of legacy 7800 systems in EU and Australia would be left out. And thus my hands are tied it would go against the whole ethos of the project to make a NTSC 60hz 7800 cart that works perfectly on a 2600+ but not on an original PAL 7800 machine. 

There is actually a middle road. If the developer creates a playfield with 224 visible lines the same design works both on NTSC at 60Hz and on PAL at 50Hz. Some of the 50Hz slowdown can be compensated by running every 5th IRQ twice on a PAL machine. This allows for running 60Hz music on both machines. The advantage is that you could still run the same cart at 50Hz on your PAL unit and at 60Hz on the 2600+ as a NTSC cart.

• Like 2

You cannot do it easily for old games but for new games there's no need to make two cartridges.

There are homebrews that let you select NTSC/PAL60 format in the menu or with console switches (eg Draconian, Star Castle). Perfect solution for 2600+ or real consoles.

• Like 2

I was going g to say that. Looks like an unbundled paddle is available for preorder too.

Man I'm going to drop a load of money the year, it would be a lot more if so much stuff wasn't constantly "sold out" seriously.

When is dark chambers for 7800 going to make N Appearance?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

I pre-ordered the stand alone paddles.  I never had any before.  I can't wait to try them out.

You're in for a treat. They are really fun to use. 👍🏻

Then, when the driving controllers make a comeback, wow. Will be awesome. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...