IGNORED

PiRTO preview - New RTO multicart powered by Raspberry Pico

Thanks a lot for this, would you mind to share the schematic also?

One other thing, it is not clear to me what you meant with this sentence: “Assembly notes: Use only 74lvc245 IC, not LVC ones are not 3,3 tolerant and may damage your Pico.”

Great job in any case!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YannAros said:

Thanks a lot for this, would you mind to share the schematic also?

One other thing, it is not clear to me what you meant with this sentence: “Assembly notes: Use only 74lvc245 IC, not LVC ones are not 3,3 tolerant and may damage your Pico.”

Great job in any case!

The BOM for building the PiRTO is simple (PI Pico, a microSD card SPI module, n. 4 74lvc245 IC and n. 4 0.1uF decoupling ceramic capacitor), but you NEED to use the "LVC" flavour for the IC since it's for shifting voltage level from Inty (5V) to Pico GPIO (3V3). If you use a 74LS245 or 74HCT245 the cart doesn't work and you may damage your Pico.

About publishing sources too, i'm still thinking about... but you have already all you need to build a PiRTO for free on my repository!

• Like 2

Board layout and all needed for printing pcb are on gerber file already uploaded.

i probably will add other files when publishing the SMD version.

But just for curiosity, why interested in schematics? The board assembly is very simple, only tricks is to solder the microSD reader module on the back of PCB

• Like 1

This seems so easy to assemble that even I can do it. I might as well build one even though I have ordered RTO. (A friend of mine is building one for me.) The only thing that makes me wonder is the SD card module; I can't see how it is attached in the pictures.

Thanks.

Are there BOM and CLP files for a JLCPCB?

Surely is possible order from JLCPBC it without a PICO, but other components installed??

Edited by utri007

11 minutes ago, utri007 said:

This seems so easy to assemble that even I can do it. I might as well build one even though I have ordered RTO. (A friend of mine is building one for me.) The only thing that makes me wonder is the SD card module; I can't see how it is attached in the pictures.

Thanks.

I got the pitch and added a couple of picture on github too. It's in fact the hardest step in building the PiRTO, and you may have to cut the pin on solder side to avoid they could touch the Pico board.

The SDcard module MUST soldered before the Pico, you couldn't reach the solder point  for sdcard after soldered the pico!

pirto4.thumb.jpg.14585d8490ddd8528914291126992f5c.jpgpirto5.jpg.1e69e44f501d3d0e1dad1655bc5ae68c.jpg

10 minutes ago, mattyv316 said:

@aotta if you need someone with a Super Pro System or Sears Super Video Arcade, let me know. The 5-11 RTO does not work at all for me on these 2 consoles. I would love to test a PiRTO

Thank mattyv316 but i don't need anything: i developed the board for fun and for some of my friends, and i will never sell them ;).

But if you want to build one and test it  with your SPS or SSVA, the results could be useful for others that don't have an Intellivision I or II!

Edited by aotta

42 minutes ago, Tissemon said:

This looks awesome! I’ve already got a regular RTO but will probably build a PiRTO anyway 🙂A quick question: a shield with regular SD should work just as good as Micro SD, right?

Yes, just check the shield use same pinout than mine, they may differs even within microSd modules from different sources.

The Smd version don't use a module but has a pushTF connector soldered directly on pcb.

25 minutes ago, aotta said:

Yes, just check the shield use same pinout than mine, they may differs even within microSd modules from different sources.

The Smd version don't use a module but has a pushTF connector soldered directly on pcb.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll double check so I order the correct one!

And by the way - how good is the compability? As you might remember I had some issues with Dracula and Antarctic Tales Enhanced Edition on one of my Intellivisions since they seem to be a bit extra picky with timings or something like that. Have you tested those two games? And are there any possible issues with the reset circuit or will this work right away, even on systems that hasn't been recapped?

10 hours ago, utri007 said:

Are there BOM and CLP files for a JLCPCB?

Surely is possible order from JLCPBC it without a PICO, but other components installed??

That is the main reason for me to ask for schematics, to be able to do a project we can order on JLCPCB with assembled SMD components.

Only Pico would remain to be soldered.

@Tissemon PiRTO use same code of RTO and it works fine with my intellivision with all games, but you had issue with Dracula and Antarctic that i hadn't with RTO, so i don't know.

Reset handling is a bit improved using some solutions from 5-11under and JaneDoe649, but it always use the intellivision reset circuitry, and if it doesn't work (for a bad capacitor or anything else) RTO doesn't reset!

@YannAros for ordering an assembled pcb, jlcpcb needs Gerber, bom and pos files: I'll upload them as soon as I'll have tested mine (I'm still waiting they will finish the Chinese new year holidays) 😂

7 minutes ago, aotta said:

@Tissemon PiRTO use same code of RTO and it works fine with my intellivision with all games, but you had issue with Dracula and Antarctic that i hadn't with RTO, so i don't know.

Reset handling is a bit improved using some solutions from 5-11under and JaneDoe649, but it always use the intellivision reset circuitry, and if it doesn't work (for a bad capacitor or anything else) RTO doesn't reset!

@YannAros for ordering an assembled pcb, jlcpcb needs Gerber, bom and pos files: I'll upload them as soon as I'll have tested mine (I'm still waiting they will finish the Chinese new year holidays) 😂

Thanks for testing, if they work for you, they will probably work on my Intellivison as well. I've got one with a PCB that works with my RTO now.

The reset function on my RTO still only works sometimes though.

But what happens if reset function doesn't work on PiRTO? Is it just to get in to the file selector that I might have to push reset one time? Or may I also have to push reset after selecting a game? And if after selecting a game - will the game start on reset or will I get back to the file-selector?

After bin file is loaded, the PiRto continue emulating the rom until a new power off-on cycle, so it *should* works pressing reset manually as you supposed. Of course, i don't want damage my recapped console to test worst scenarios 😜

28 minutes ago, aotta said:

After bin file is loaded, the PiRto continue emulating the rom until a new power off-on cycle, so it *should* works pressing reset manually as you supposed. Of course, i don't want damage my recapped console to test worst scenarios 😜

I'm there for you, buddy! To test with my crappy consoles 🤣