IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

What, you don't think the likes of Atari and Plaion don't read every AA and social post and video regarding the 2600+?

Because we do and we act on them!

i feel really bad that Atari, Plaion and your impression of me is just "Ikari Warriors, Ikari Warriors, Ikari Warriors" because i do like other games...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Pretty sure Atari hold the rights to Alien Brigade. Comes up when we talk.

Anyhow, I have been playing a selection of test carts today in preperation for release, some good games in there!

PXL_20240723_142530502.MP.jpg

I see AIR RAIDERS it’s the third one in from the end! 😁
And Happy Birthday!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

What, you don't think the likes of Atari and Plaion don't read every AA and social post and video regarding the 2600+?

The day the acquisition was announced we talked, but like I said we are in the middle of a substantial roll out of new products that goes well into next year. It's not plausible to just insert intellivision stuff immediately.

To be clear that's it, I haven't thought about it any more regarding what it means to the 2600+ ( might be nothing in the end) and also I don't know anything about what Atari want to do with the acquisition outside of 2600+ stuff.

How many new carts will be announced in the next batch....more then the last batch.

Nice. My original post was actually a joke, I am not even familiar with with most of the Intelli library, I said it because there was a large amount of carts. 🤣

Great to hear that there will be more than three carts in the next batch. 

Still looking forward to PAL Food Fight, complete with an update sticker. I guess that is waiting for the actual update to go official first. I can wait, I have quite a few carts to keep me busy. 🤣

EDIT: Your birthday today? Happy birthday!

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

FIRE FLY by Mythicon

Today I tried Fire Fly for the second time. I recently picked this up at my local game store. I tried playing and couldn’t figure it out even after reading the instructions. My first impression was, this game is crap! I don’t know why I put it back in but I figured out how to rescue the pixie! It’s really not a bad game, I actually played it for quite awhile after I knew what I was doing.

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Nice. My original post was actually a joke, I am not even familiar with with most of the Intelli library, I said it because there was a large amount of carts. 🤣

Still looking forward to PAL Food Fight, complete with an update sticker. I guess that is waiting for the actual update to go official first. I can wait, I have quite a few carts to keep me busy. 🤣

EDIT: Your birthday today? Happy birthday!

DM me my man, I'll send you a PAL Food Fight cart no worries, you can decide how we deal with the issue......got a few thousand in 'quarentine' status in a warehouse and need to figure out what to do with them.

• Like 5

i own the 7800 version of Fatal Run, but i do quite have an affinity for the 2600 version VIA Atari 50. it's oddly more text based, which is rare on either 2600 or 7800, you'll see scrolling text in a few places explaining things, its almost RPG charming to me, although you do miss the kind of the morbidly hilarious survivors/perished screen with the bart simpson lookalike, the blind guy, cheerleader, etc. But hey! Your car IS blue like the car in the cover so... cant go wrong with either.

Kinda wonder what a spiritual successor or sequel would be like.

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

got a few thousand in 'quarentine' status in a warehouse and need to figure out what to do with them.

i'll open my home to some of these, if they arent exclusively PAL, even if so i wouldn't mind doing so, it would save me money after buying everyone i know 2600+ consoles on a game...

Also does Atari own Motorodeo? I know it would be perfect for one of my fams... Hope it'll be a red box, and also BMX Air Master because that ones underrated.

EDIT:
Happy Birthday!

Edited by Maztr_0n

35 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

i am also glad, even if all i could really get in the near future is probably one or maybe two... Still got my eyes on enhanced berzerk and mr run and jump :D

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Anyhow, I have been playing a selection of test carts today in preperation for release, some good games in there!

Looking at your photo - you have a dream job for quite a few people here. 😋If you need beta testers let me know! 

Happy belated birthday @Ben from Plaion!

Can you at least tell if these are 2600 or 7800 releases? 

Anyway, I find it really exciting that 40+ game console is getting a sustainable ecosystem  and that so much effort and attention to detail is put to make it a high quality product. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

Looking at your photo - you have a dream job for quite a few people here. 😋If you need beta testers let me know! 

I second this, and manufacturing cartridges... by turning plastic and whatever magic PCBs and Chips are made of into fun stuff... for purely work reasons... :D

Edited by Maztr_0n

14 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Pretty sure Atari hold the rights to Alien Brigade. Comes up when we talk.

PXL_20240723_142530502.MP.jpg

Very very exciting, and hope you had a nice Birthday,really looking forward to the new releases.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

FIRE FLY by Mythicon

Today I tried Fire Fly for the second time. I recently picked this up at my local game store. I tried playing and couldn’t figure it out even after reading the instructions. My first impression was, this game is crap! I don’t know why I put it back in but I figured out how to rescue the pixie! It’s really not a bad game, I actually played it for quite awhile after I knew what I was doing.

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

I remember watching a few videos about this game, basically saying how appalling it is. I must admit that that always makes me intrigued to play a game, how bad can it be? I often find that I quite like a 'terrible' game. I'm gonna try the ROM. 🤟🏻

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

The notorious CIB man strikes again! :P

I have a loose cart of this, I have never even seen this box, wow! Great find! Was it expensive?

No, not very expensive. £40 or so I think...

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 6:27 PM, bigfriendly said:

Hell, I can't break 30K and I'm using a PS4 controller so I have smart bombs at the ready. What's the best anybody else has ever got on Stargate for the 2600?

1.jpg

I came close! Now I’m determined to break 30K. You got me hooked on playing this game. For the second controller I decided to try a 3 button Genesis controller. Which I find improves my game play. It seems to respond faster by pressing the directional pad rather than pushing up or pulling down on the Atari controller. I think I might rewire a Genesis controller to use the 3 buttons just for this game. Button A hyperspace, B smartbombs, C inviso. 

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i own the 7800 version of Fatal Run, but i do quite have an affinity for the 2600 version VIA Atari 50. it's oddly more text based, which is rare on either 2600 or 7800, you'll see scrolling text in a few places explaining things, its almost RPG charming to me, although you do miss the kind of the morbidly hilarious survivors/perished screen with the bart simpson lookalike, the blind guy, cheerleader, etc. But hey! Your car IS blue like the car in the cover so... cant go wrong with either.

Kinda wonder what a spiritual successor or sequel would be like.

Fatal Run 7800 needs more text explaining what's going on. It's like... I go to towns and some people explode into graves ??? what ?? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I came close! Now I’m determined to break 30K. You got me hooked on playing this game. For the second controller I decided to try a 3 button Genesis controller. Which I find improves my game play. It seems to respond faster by pressing the directional pad rather than pushing up or pulling down on the Atari controller. I think I might rewire a Genesis controller to use the 3 buttons just for this game. Button A hyperspace, B smartbombs, C inviso. 

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

I tried to get the invinso to work with PS4 gamepad but it didn't work. I guess I should tinker with to see if I can get it to work. Did the invinso help you out? I've scored in the lower to mid 20's several times but not 30K.

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

Happy belated birthday @Ben from Plaion!

Can you at least tell if these are 2600 or 7800 releases? 

Anyway, I find it really exciting that 40+ game console is getting a sustainable ecosystem  and that so much effort and attention to detail is put to make it a high quality product. 

Yeah I'm fortunate to do this. I cant complain.

• Like 1

Yes, I was using inviso, after a few rounds I started using inviso and hyperspace after I used my smartbombs. I read in the manual after the smartbombs are used the smartbomb button will activate inviso after inviso is all used the button will activate hyperspace.

• Like 1

THE DARKNESS IS UPON YOU
You're on a dangerous search, deep underground.  Wraiths, wizards, and
moldering skeletons surround you.  Even now, a grim reaper stalks you.
The exits take you -- where?  Only deeper into the maze.  Find weapons
in the darkness and fend off your elusive enemies.  Claim the treasure
and fight your way even deeper into the caverns.
Your strength will outlast the weaker ghouls.  But are you a match for
the strongest?

3 difficulty levels thou best to set it to hardest for a challenge.

A good 'Gauntlet' style game for the 2600.

Hoping Atari re-release the 7800 version. That game is 'top' of my wish list...

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

• Like 5

On 7/23/2024 at 6:04 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

DM me my man, I'll send you a PAL Food Fight cart no worries, you can decide how we deal with the issue......got a few thousand in 'quarentine' status in a warehouse and need to figure out what to do with them.

Got an extra one that's been saying, "Hey! Send me to Gabe's for his 2600+!"? I don't currently have Food Fight. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, shane857 said:

Time for some Roc 'n Rope! 🎸🤘🏻

A fun arcade platformer with slightly tricky controls, thou quick to understand. 4 skill levels

You have to get your way to the top of the screen, using your rope & flashlight and collect the Golden Roc bird(White PAL)

Fire button to use your flashlight. Joystick up and fire button to shoot rope. Down to drop off rope and when you reach the top of the rope push up to climb up to the platform. If you are on a rope and an enemy shakes the rope, stop moving or you will lose a life

Fall to far and you lose a life. Collect the Magical eggs to become invincible, walk into enemies and they will disappear.

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

I had the arcade game in a cocktail format and loved it!  I do have the cart and the other night found myself hitting this one hard.  Controls are very tricky but dang, the gameplay is spot-on.  Roc N Rope is a pretty darn good game!

• Like 4

On 7/23/2024 at 4:39 PM, JetmanUK said:

Other avenues... Private Eye confirmed!

I would highly recommend Private Eye, but it's definitely not easy.  I still my original from the 80s and solved a few back then, but recently, I can't do diddly with it.  Darn this getting older stuff!  Lol!

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 5:22 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

The day the acquisition was announced we talked, but like I said we are in the middle of a substantial roll out of new products that goes well into next year. It's not plausible to just insert intellivision stuff immediately.

To be clear that's it, I haven't thought about it any more regarding what it means to the 2600+ ( might be nothing in the end) and also I don't know anything about what Atari want to do with the acquisition outside of 2600+ stuff.

How many new carts will be announced in the next batch....more then the last batch.

I had my original 6-switcher as a youngster back in the late 70s and was always excited seeing new carts in the stores.   Today, with this reinvention, I swear you all are making this MORE exciting!  Thank you so much for all your hard work!  The love for us "OG" people is refreshing!  (OG = Original Gamers).  The only newer game machine I have is an original Playstation, which I bought in 1998, and that has gotten dusty thanks to the 2600+.

Over the years, my venture was a VCS, Vic 20, Commodore 64, PS1.  I did buy/restore/sell/collect arcade machines, but my true love has always been the VCS/2600.  You all ROCK!

• Like 5

I just destroyed Fatal Run 7800. The gameplay oscillates between dull and exciting all within the same levels, and that makes for a strange but compelling mix. It's really difficult to climb out of a poor run once your equipment reaches a certain damage threshold and you're unable to reach the city in a timely fashion (and lose out on $$$). On the other hand, it's pretty easy to perform good runs without losing resources if you've top notch equipment. I recommend investing in your engine, tires, and maintenance. The bumper will need replaced often and the large gas tanks are helpful for saving money between runs. Weapons are useful if you're trying to stack points, but if you just want to see the lovely end scene, they shouldn't be your top priority.

I wish they would have had the resources to invest in better sound for this one and more appropriate music--the theme played between levels while the backdrop of a burned out city passes you by is an odd choice. It sounds very Merry Melodies and not at all in line with the setting and art direction. Strange stuff! The handling doesn't feel like any driving game I've ever played and I can't say it feels great. The car is much easier to handle with the joystick attachment screwed into the CX78+. I've not yet played Pole Position II or any other 7800 racing games so I've no context as far as the platform is concerned. That said, this is no Outrun. 

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game. It could have used some more time in the oven, but that isn't what happened. For what it is, I'd give it a solid C. Maybe more bad than it is great, but the entirety of Fatal Run is OK. 

IMG_3483.jpg