IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

SUPER COBRA

Still playing Super Cobra today! I posted this yesterday under the RTFM thread. I’m kinda hooked on it now.

You have to try this on SLOW SPEED it makes for a whole different game play. I’m able to destroy more targets while maneuvering through the terrain. Allowing me to see more of the game and experience the changing difficulty of the enemy targets. The SLOW SPEED mode is especially good for anyone who finds this game to be a bit difficult like I do while gaining experience to then move on to MEDIUM SPEED.

You also have to try this on FAST SPEED just for the fun of it! I just did and it’s insane! This would really be fun if you compete with another player on FAST SPEED to see who could go the farthest.

This was one game I tried multiple times but never stuck with it. Since I discovered the different SPEED selects it’s a real game changer literally!

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

SUPER COBRA

Still playing Super Cobra today! I posted this yesterday under the RTFM thread. I’m kinda hooked on it now.

You have to try this on SLOW SPEED it makes for a whole different game play. I’m able to destroy more targets while maneuvering through the terrain. Allowing me to see more of the game and experience the changing difficulty of the enemy targets. The SLOW SPEED mode is especially good for anyone who finds this game to be a bit difficult like I do while gaining experience to then move on to MEDIUM SPEED.

You also have to try this on FAST SPEED just for the fun of it! I just did and it’s insane! This would really be fun if you compete with another player on FAST SPEED to see who could go the farthest.

This was one game I tried multiple times but never stuck with it. Since I discovered the different SPEED selects it’s a real game changer literally!

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

I like that the speed settings are not accessed by flicking the difficulty switches, or selecting a game number. Nope, it's an on screen option/word. This is pretty standard in modern homebrews, but very unusual for the time of release. Just a shame that it's not selectable via joystick, but that is far too modern. 🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

SUPER COBRA

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

I really like Super Cobra. It has very simple graphics, but very good gameplay and surprisingly a lot of stages. It is much longer and more difficult than Scramble from Champ Games. What I also like about it that you can continue the game after you fail. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

I really like Super Cobra. It has very simple graphics, but very good gameplay and surprisingly a lot of stages. It is much longer and more difficult than Scramble from Champ Games. What I also like about it that you can continue the game after you fail. 

Did you get Scrambled from AtariAge? It runs on the 2600+? How many Champ Games run on the 2600+ as of now?

Edited by MrChickenz

33 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

I got it from Champ Games directly and yes, it does work on 2600+

I have Galagon Champ Games that I purchased from AtariAge. This one does not work as of yet. Hopefully on a future Update.

But until then I have Galaxian and Galaga which I really enjoy! Border or no Border the game is the same.

• Like 1

Hey guys I decided to make a video about Canyon Bomber on the 2600. If you've got 12 minutes to kill I'd love your opinion on it. I'm not sure if any of you have watched any of my vids before but I'm totally open to any suggestions on how to make them better. I started uploading in mid February and I'm sitting at 526 subscribers. I'd be overjoyed if I could hit a 1000 subs by the end of the year. I haven't posted a link to one of my videos on AA since early on when I first started. I'm very active on the forum but I just didn't want to come across as being to overly spammy with my links. Thanks:)

27 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Hey guys I decided to make a video about Canyon Bomber on the 2600. If you've got 12 minutes to kill I'd love your opinion on it. I'm not sure if any of you have watched any of my vids before but I'm totally open to any suggestions on how to make them better. I started uploading in mid February and I'm sitting at 526 subscribers. I'd be overjoyed if I could hit a 1000 subs by the end of the year. I haven't posted a link to one of my videos on AA since early on when I first started. I'm very active on the forum but I just didn't want to come across as being to overly spammy with my links. Thanks:)

I am a big YouTube user, so I will check it out for sure, always happy to see Atari content on there too. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Just watched it. Great Video ! I actually never played canyon bomber, for the same reasons you mentioned in the video. "Oh, that's a really old, ugly, 70s game that probably sucks. Let me skip it and play Moon Patrol instead". 

Nor did I see it in the 80s, nor have i played it on Harmony or on my Miyoo Mini Plus.

Soooo thanks to your video, I'm gonna go hunt for a copy to play now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

SUPER COBRA

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

This was a game I always skipped due to thinking it was a scramble rip-off. But yeah, maybe I should grab a copy of it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

Good video.  Not forgotten in my book but maybe less well known.  I've played the game, probably originally on a Flashback.  It's okay.  Not gonna buy it, because it's actually on the paddles 4-in-1 cart.  I do have a couple more of these "early" games.  The deal is before Space Invaders the Atari catalog was a very mixed bag of games that were eventually discontinued for a reason (low sales/interest basically, reflecting on gameplay quality) and a few early classics that survived.  I think Canyon Bomber is probably a lesser known entry in the latter category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have finally beaten Ikari Warriors for the Atari 2600, and honestly it and commando for the system are quite good for run and gun fans especially of those games/franchises, even if you'd say they're more like adaptations than a port, they're very good considering how much the 7800 versions go for, you may lose some arcade accuracy, but these are excellent games.

20240808_214245.thumb.jpg.9d739c6a899dc3d40ae673b83c2af529.jpg

Btw pro tip here...

Spoiler

Do not touch this guy especially if you have your final life like i did here, i learned that the hard way the first time i made it this far...

Chuck a grenade at him, i think oddly he is supposed to be the dead neo-nazi leader corpse from the other versions that you blow up, not colonel cook. Interestingly it seems the game gets harder after you're sent back, bullets are much faster for enemies it seems, dont think i'll stop playing it

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tradyblix said:

This was a game I always skipped due to thinking it was a scramble rip-off. But yeah, maybe I should grab a copy of it. 

It really is a great game. The graphics are a bit simplistic thou the gameplay is definitely there. Make sure you buy an NTSC copy if you are playing on the 2600+ and want to use the game's pause function.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

I have finally beaten Ikari Warriors for the Atari 2600, and honestly it and commando for the system are quite good for run and gun fans especially of those games/franchises, even if you'd say they're more like adaptations than a port, they're very good considering how much the 7800 versions go for, you may lose some arcade accuracy, but these are excellent games.

20240808_214245.thumb.jpg.9d739c6a899dc3d40ae673b83c2af529.jpg

Btw pro tip here...

Reveal hidden contents

Do not touch this guy especially if you have your final life like i did here, i learned that the hard way the first time i made it this far...

Chuck a grenade at him, i think oddly he is supposed to be the dead neo-nazi leader corpse from the other versions that you blow up, not colonel cook. Interestingly it seems the game gets harder after you're sent back, bullets are much faster for enemies it seems, dont think i'll stop playing it

Well done! 💪🏻🎖️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

It really is a great game. The graphics are a bit simplistic thou the gameplay is definitely there. Make sure you buy an NTSC copy if you are playing on the 2600+ and want to use the game's pause function.

It's all about gameplay with the 2600. right ? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

It's all about gameplay with the 2600. right ? 

Yes, it's all about the gameplay with the 2600+, ZX Spectrum, Neo-Geo, Dreamcast, Sega Master System, NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii, WiiU, Psx..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Bump N Jump underrated, fun and often forgotten 2600 racing game.

Bump n Jump screen shot.jpg

I would pop this in right now if I had it! lol. I have to put this one on my list. Is this an M- Network game?

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I would pop this in right now if I had it! lol. I have to put this one on my list. Is this an M- Network game?

Yeah loose copies can be had for under $20 on eBay.

Bump N Jump Ebay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/16/2024 at 10:57 AM, Intellivision Master said:

There is an easy skill level where only one ghost chases you.  https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=1098

I’ve been playing Jr. Pac Man today.  I had recently decided that the game was just too hard for me but then I was intrigued by @Intellivision Master’s post about there being an easy mode with only one ghost. Now I can work on improving my skill without getting too discouraged right away.  
I really need to go through all my games and try out ALL the different Game Select and Difficulty settings to see what else I might be missing out on!

• Like 4

i just tried UA Ltd's unreleased Hobo, its not great, it feels a bit wonky at times but its a good game, and it looks great for 83, even having seperate stages.

It's like a kinda dark take on Donkey Kong and Frogger, not mature like Porkys was but probably if atari published it today i think off themes alone it would be E10+, but it is charming and amusing, even if it has some faults, if i ever get the chance to i'll make a custom label for it even if there already was a retail label made...

by the way have to add, Frankensteins Monster is a game i reccomend as well, it's a little like pitfall and its a great 2600 adventure title. Theres even a game over screen if you fail to stop the monster!

fun title.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

by the way have to add, Frankensteins Monster is a game i reccomend as well, it's a little like pitfall and its a great 2600 adventure title. Theres even a game over screen if you fail to stop the monster!

fun title.

Yes I agree. Love Frankenstein's Monster. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit.