IGNORED

Discovered this 80's Arcade near me and I love hanging out there!

TampaBay

I found this arcade near where I live that has mostly 80's games (and a few early 90's games) and I've been having a ton of fun in there.  All the games are on free play, you pay once to get in and then you can play all the games as much as you want all day and night.  Some of my all-time favorites are in there like the original Star Wars, Tron, Galaga, Out Run, Asteroids Deluxe, and many of the classics like Pac-Man, Frogger, Tempest, Centipede, Missile Command, Tapper, Donkey Kong, etc.  The vector games are especially fun to play since it's hard to replicate that experience at home.  Games like Star Wars with the vector graphics, the awesome flight yoke, and incredible sound are just so much fun to play!  It's 14 bucks for the day, and you can leave and come back as much as you want.  I can play for hours in there!

Lots of arcade games plus many pinball games:

1.thumb.jpg.d6c88caf52816eb2f6abfe73b081652f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.ce3975bd2d1925bc398f6b1ed4cd422b.jpg

One of my all time favorite games:

3.thumb.jpg.b1cb05c24c48d9ac2517bd580e579bf1.jpg

I've probably played Star Wars more than any other game there:

4.thumb.jpg.ecb98ce771485fca4cc6906e4608ab1d.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.c82e038dc22c5539c8cce408c15a142e.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.86f671878bb292f1350bbce0644d18dc.jpg

This Asteroids Deluxe cabinet is awesome.  The sound out of this cabinet is just amazing!

7.thumb.jpg.323c92e55f38d8cf9ffda4df8c02a709.jpg

This Centipede / Millipede / Missile Command combo cabinet is newer.  An original Centipede is next to it.

8.thumb.jpg.d8904ed539c25466917c8a8ca99610ae.jpg

Some early / mid 90's Mortal Kombat cabinets as well.

9.thumb.jpg.66ec6130ab6f7466a02e9f1b381646f1.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.209e2a484c7d1a14524b791aa48c251b.jpg

I can't wait to go back!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, VectorGamer said:

Is the location a secret?

Ha, not at all.  It's in downtown Tarpon Springs, FL.   It's called Replay Musuem, and yes, the fact that they called it a "museum" makes me feel VERY old!  But I'll let them slide on the name since it's such a cool spot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, littleman jack said:

That is awesome. I hope I can drop by there next time I visit relatives in FLA.

Cool.  Yeah it's a lot of fun.  Definitely worth a visit if you're nearby.   There's an awesome vintage toy store next door too, just fun to see what he's got.  There's like every Transformer and other hard to find stuff.  It's total 80s on one block (and I think it's just a coincidence that there's an 80s arcade and an 80s retro toy store!)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just went to Replay Museum today... it was pretty awesome. Very reasonably priced, honestly... and tons and tons of pinball machines too, which are equally as cool. Most of the restaurants around were closed (since it was late on Sunday), but definitely going back! Thanks for letting me know about it, @TampaBay

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I just went to Replay Museum today... it was pretty awesome. Very reasonably priced, honestly... and tons and tons of pinball machines too, which are equally as cool. Most of the restaurants around were closed (since it was late on Sunday), but definitely going back! Thanks for letting me know about it, @TampaBay

Great!! I'm so glad you made it over and had fun!  I'm due for a trip myself.  

I was at Replay around this time last year. It's one of the more reasonably priced arcades in the country. I think it was $16 for all day play? Hell of a deal.

Also, I was there during First Friday which is this amazing street festival right outside. What a great day that was. Pinball and crazy amounts of food.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watercooler said:

I was at Replay around this time last year. It's one of the more reasonably priced arcades in the country. I think it was $16 for all day play? Hell of a deal.

Also, I was there during First Friday which is this amazing street festival right outside. What a great day that was. Pinball and crazy amounts of food.

That's awesome.  Thanks for the tip about First Friday.  Sounds great.  I just put it on my calendar for June 7, and I'll plan on checking it out.

Yeah, it's a great deal.  $14 for adults and $8 for kids, all day.  Hard to beat that.

• Like 1

That's such a cool looking place and the price seems more than reasonable. I agree with you about Tron TB. One of the coolest cabinets ever made in my opinion. I wish a place like this existed in my local area. Do they have a Star Castle in there by chance?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

That's such a cool looking place and the price seems more than reasonable. I agree with you about Tron TB. One of the coolest cabinets ever made in my opinion. I wish a place like this existed in my local area. Do they have a Star Castle in there by chance?

NW Georgia? How close are you to Chattanooga?

19 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

I always spend a bit of time on Tron!  I can play decently at home, but those controls are hard to replicate at home, so it's super fun playing the real thing.

I don't recall either way seeing Star Castle.  I didn't even know about it until you introduced it to me when we were looking at the emulation!  I imagine the audio coming out of the real cabinet must be incredible!  I'll look when I go there next.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, watercooler said:

NW Georgia? How close are you to Chattanooga?

I should probably change that because it's more like central west Georgia. Just a few miles from the Bama State Line. Chattanooga is a good haul at around 2 and a half hours. There might be a place like this in Atlanta but I absolutely detest going there because the traffic is so horrible and the crime rate is so bad.

On 5/10/2024 at 5:25 PM, bigfriendly said:

I should probably change that because it's more like central west Georgia. Just a few miles from the Bama State Line. Chattanooga is a good haul at around 2 and a half hours. There might be a place like this in Atlanta but I absolutely detest going there because the traffic is so horrible and the crime rate is so bad.

Bummer, that's kind of a retro arcade dead zone.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 1.01.00 PM.png

From 1982 to 1987 I worked in an arcade 5 to 7 days a week, I was underage and paid under the table, no complaints there.

To me this the best job imaginable, all these games I can play for free after hours, and that was that, a woo hoo moment in time.

Three years in, the veneer of excitement wore really thin, the constant noise, etc, I litterly never bought or played another electric game till the late 90s,

and that was Half life on a voodoo carded computer.

• Like 2

asteroids deluxe sounds better without the anti glare kit installed. it traps the speaker behind the plexi.  But AD is badass with the black lighting.  looks like a pretty decent collection of games.  I wonder if they are involved with freeplay florida? someone must know how to fix vector games. A tempest and a star wars in an arcade takes a lot of love to keep working. plus keeping baby pack working is quite an effort too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mr.bill said:

someone must know how to fix vector games. A tempest and a star wars in an arcade takes a lot of love to keep working. plus keeping baby pack working is quite an effort too.

Yep, I've been quite a few times and I've seen the maintenance tech working on the occasional down cabinet, so they're definitely on top of it.  The only game that is frequently down is Dragon's Lair.  Other than that, I can't recall any other games ever not working except very temporarily.  They do a nice job with it.

Edited by TampaBay

1 hour ago, TampaBay said:

Yep, I've been quite a few times and I've seen the maintenance tech working on the occasional down cabinet, so they're definitely on top of it.  The only game that is frequently down is Dragon's Lair.  Other than that, I can't recall any other games ever not working except very temporarily.  They do a nice job with it.

yeah, any laserdisc game is a royal pain.. I think I had about 15 at one point, but I sold them all(sold them all pre daphnie). 

• Like 2

I have YESTERcades in Red Bank an hour away, and Ritchie Knucklez in Flemington. They have a good selection of retro games (including Turbo, the racing game from 1981) and Yester even has Atari consoles. I wanna own an arcade (currently seeking out people on FB who'd help), and I wanna get as close to the 1982 arcade experience as possible, including retro prizes.

I also went to Funspot in NH a long time ago, and I think that's what got me into retro arcade games in the first place. They have redemption games on one floor, and a museum of classic arcade games on the other. It includes rare games like Dominos, Triple Hunt/Hit the Bear, and Robot Bowl. I saw Mappy on location for the first time in that place, and a dozen other games I knew from console compilations too. I'd like to go back, but my fear of B&W video games would make it hard for me to play some of the older games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, watercooler said:

Here's about 10 minutes of raw footage from the last time I was at Replay in Tarpon Springs. It'll give you a good idea of the sights and sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmgfFFKFx8

That video came out great.  Thanks for sharing.   It really showed off the pinball as well.  Funny, I'm tentatively planning on going this Thursday or Friday and I was going to take video, because I just realized I've only taken photos and no video.  Your video does a pretty perfect job of capturing the place, so you may have saved me the time!  😀  I may still take some additioinal video of the arcade cabinets, assuming it's quiet in there when I go (it usually is pretty empty at around 11am).  We'll see.  I usually get right into the games!

4 minutes ago, YexxenBlaster said:

I have YESTERcades in Red Bank an hour away, and Ritchie Knucklez in Flemington. They have a good selection of retro games (including Turbo, the racing game from 1981) and Yester even has Atari consoles. I wanna own an arcade (currently seeking out people on FB who'd help), and I wanna get as close to the 1982 arcade experience as possible, including retro prizes.

I also went to Funspot in NH a long time ago, and I think that's what got me into retro arcade games in the first place. They have redemption games on one floor, and a museum of classic arcade games on the other. It includes rare games like Dominos, Triple Hunt/Hit the Bear, and Robot Bowl. I saw Mappy on location for the first time in that place, and a dozen other games I knew from console compilations too. I'd like to go back, but my fear of B&W video games would make it hard for me to play some of the older games.

Very cool.  That's awesome.   @Shaggy the Atarian on this forum owns an arcade in Utah, and he has shared tons of insight into the arcade-ownership business on here, that we all are very grateful for!  His YouTube channel is here: 

https://www.youtube.com/@arcadeheroes_coinop/videos

His arcade website is here:

https://arcadegalactic.com/

• Like 1

Just now, TampaBay said:

Very cool.  That's awesome.   @Shaggy the Atarian on this forum owns an arcade in Utah, and he has shared tons of insight into the arcade-ownership business on here, that we all are very grateful for!  His YouTube channel is here: 

https://www.youtube.com/@arcadeheroes_coinop/videos

His arcade website is here:

https://arcadegalactic.com/

I have a list of arcade games I want to see in my arcade; some of them are B&W games (once I learn to get over my fear of them; like, I can play the popular ones, but obscure ones creep me out), others are colour games. I'll send the PDF if you're interested.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YexxenBlaster said:

I have a list of arcade games I want to see in my arcade; some of them are B&W games (once I learn to get over my fear of them; like, I can play the popular ones, but obscure ones creep me out), others are colour games. I'll send the PDF if you're interested.

Sure.  If you like, just attach it to a reply / comment right here so we can all take a look.  It would be cool to see your favorite games.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, YexxenBlaster said:

I have YESTERcades in Red Bank an hour away, and Ritchie Knucklez in Flemington. They have a good selection of retro games (including Turbo, the racing game from 1981) and Yester even has Atari consoles.

I’ve been to the Red Bank location. I like Yestercades, lots of coin-ops, only issue is that they are mostly side by side one another. You may want to check out The Morristown Game Vault. They have a nice selection with plenty of room between each one http://www.morristowngamevault.com/

IMG_5023.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’ve been to the Red Bank location. I like Yestercades, lots of coin-ops, only issue is that they are mostly side by side one another. You may want to check out The Morristown Game Vault. They have a nice selection with plenty of room between each one http://www.morristowngamevault.com/

THEY HAVE PINBOT HNNNNNG

• Haha 1