IGNORED

Outrun 2019 should have been called Outrun 2099

JPF997

Seriously how could anyone back in the 90s think that technology would have progressed so far in just a few short decades,  hell I would be impressed if by the end of this century we even come close to the level of tech this game has 

image.png.49a49a7da1517dd392b6db0368a29489.png

Edited by JPF997

I used to own this one maybe about a year ago and gave it up...boring. :D  I had outrunners too, that one I almost wish I kept but something about the original just is more fun.  I totally get what you mean, the other two really fit the style of the game name and all, but this one is so badly misdated it's ridiculous.  It makes you want to find who worked on it, naming it or anyone associated just to ask WHY?  Was it intentional?  A really lame typo?  Were they that deluded thinking a 15 year or so period would make rocket cars and other obscene stuff just normal?

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 10:54 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

You guys know that this wasn't even an Outrun game?  It was originally a new IP by SIMS called Junkers High.  I have a repro cartridge of the original version if you'd like to see it. 

I knew it had just been re-branded as an Outrun game, but I've never seen the original IP so I'd love to see it.

As for the game itself, it's okay. The backgrounds get monotonous quickly so in that sense it doesn't live up to "the beautiful journey" style of the original Out Run. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I knew it had just been re-branded as an Outrun game, but I've never seen the original IP so I'd love to see it.

As for the game itself, it's okay. The backgrounds get monotonous quickly so in that sense it doesn't live up to "the beautiful journey" style of the original Out Run. 

I'll take a few photos over the weekend 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to the Future 2 thought we'd have flying cars, hoverboards, holograms, etc. by now. Technology has progressed a good amount, just not in the way they thought it would. We have decently capable self driving cars, electric cars, drones, AI and machine learning, VR, etc.

I also didn't realize this game was a rebranded IP, definitely interested in seeing more.

• Like 1

Wow thanks.  I'm curious since you're the owner here on this one, was the original ever sold and I guess if you buy it the price is obscene?  Is there really any difference with it and the oddly titled US release?  I wouldn't mind a bootleg of the right game if it were worth the time.

I have just a few boots and legit MD titles I keep about.  I've got the taiwanese "release" of the MD Tetris which is strange but a decent bit of fun.  Then I have the STII turbo (SF2 Turbo) boot of that Capcom title that got buried for the very inferior poor audio release that did come out too.  Also have a trio of vintage multicarts with some fine games they're a 2 3 and 4 in 1.  The boots and Sailor Moon below are all thanks to my friend in Taiwan. :)

Beyond that, got a real copy of Magical Tarururto Kun and Sailor Moon(CIB).

This version was never sold anywhere from what I under stand.  100% it wasn't sold in Japan.  The version I have had no case, just a blank cartridge.  I made the Case art and cartridge sticker myself. 

As for differences, the finished game allows you to save, this Junkers High version has the save feature but does not save since there's no battery back up on the cartridge.

There may be many other differences but to be honest I've never played both games enough to compare them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Beyond that, got a real copy of Magical Tarururto Kun and Sailor Moon(CIB).

Ah, I have Magical Taruruto Kun as well.  The Sailor moon one I never bought after knowing how poor the SFC version was (i may own that still) but now I wish I did buy it as it's quite expensive these days. 

20 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Ah, I have Magical Taruruto Kun as well.  The Sailor moon one I never bought after knowing how poor the SFC version was (i may own that still) but now I wish I did buy it as it's quite expensive these days. 

Ehh I disagree the SFC one is pretty good, not great though, R is superior in many ways.  The MD version isn't the same as the SFC game, it's redone, a bit harder, has some more changes including some aping of Bare Knuckle and Final FIght with vertical stages in elevators added etc, and it is noticeably harder too.  I don't get it with the MD stuff, but it's weird, unlike domestic sega genesis stuff the MD stuff is just prohibitively costly much like most of all sega optical stuff (CD, Saturn, DC) sadly are now and have been.  I'd love to get devil hunter yohko but not paying over $100 for that at all.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

The cover art is better than the in-game art. It definitely needed more neon. The NYC stage was pretty cool, though.

That’s my main complaint with the game, the drab color palette.

There are some cool tunnel sequences, but otherwise the whole thing is very muted.

Thankfully, the music, gameplay/controls and framerate are solid. I love the boost mechanic—when you get going, you really fly through those courses.

• Like 1