Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

9 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Centipede 7800 TB version🤙

Missile Command 2600 TB version 🤗

Missile Command 7800 TB version, let's do it😉

For the hacks like Star Wars and and Colony 7, the IP is missing🙄

20220109_154016.jpg

Well, thinking about the new Bounty Bob cart it is quite obvious to get Crytal Castles from 8bit Atari ported to 7800, once the Trakball works.

If you google just for crystal castles, you find a former Canadian electro band... we should do something about this😉

I mean, Bentley Bear comes with 7800+, he's the star and should promote the Trakball😊

To chose Crystal Quest as the packed in game was the best decission.  I love it and if kids asked me if that Atari thing can play Super Mario Bros,  I let them play the bear and they went happy. It really shows the real capability of the console.

Imagine if Atari would have sold this bundle in 1986 or even 1984🤗

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tradyblix said:

The other games that use it are things like Basic Math and other kids games that suck. The only real "game" that uses it is that one, and even that one has like 5 clones that are similar or, even better, IMO, that don't require that silly keypad. 

Some modern homebrews use the keypads too.

47 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

Is there any known issue with 2600 Dig Dug with these firmwares?  It's a game I've been playing fine, not played it in a while.  I've got fw 1.1x-r3, I'm sure it was running on that, maybe not - but today it just looks garbled.

Digdug2600.jpg

I’m using the latest Firmware update and Dumper. I don’t believe I ever had a problem with this game. Try cleaning it again.

One problem I see is your screen is stretched! lol.

IMG_1629.jpeg

IMG_1630.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz

Just now, MrChickenz said:

I’m using the latest Firmware update and Dumper. I don’t believe I ever had a problem with this game. Try cleaning it again.

IMG_1629.jpeg

IMG_1630.jpeg

I have just cleaned it again, it was in near mint condition anyway. I'm gonna flash to the latest firmware and see if it makes any difference.  I can't believe it's just stopped working like this.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I have just cleaned it again, it was in near mint condition anyway. I'm gonna flash to the latest firmware and see if it makes any difference.  I can't believe it's just stopped working like this.

I played Dig Dug on the original firmware without any issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THX-1138 said:

Is there any known issue with 2600 Dig Dug with these firmwares?  It's a game I've been playing fine, not played it in a while.  I've got fw 1.1x-r3, I'm sure it was running on that, maybe not - but today it just looks garbled.

Digdug2600.jpg

Is it just Dig Dug or other games as well? I only ask because something similar happened to me with a game, I had some distortion on the screen, my HDMI cable wasn’t inserted all the way from the last time I moved it. At first I thought it was the game.

I use Brasso when I clean my carts follow-up with isopropyl alcohol! But I have to keep it on the down low!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Is it just Dig Dug or other games as well? I only ask because something similar happened to me with a game, I had some distortion on the screen, my HDMI cable wasn’t inserted all the way from the last time I moved it. At first I thought it was the game.

Just Dig Dug.  I think it's Dig Dead. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I updated to the latest dumper and firmware image r6 and it is ALIVE.  Dig Dug is playing again!

I had a similar issue with another known working cart, and re-flashing the dumper and firmware fixed it for me as well.

*truth be told, I may have accidentally applied the wrong, older dumper update the first time. 😁

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Haha 1

I was not able to replicate exactly what you are doing in the video on real hardware and on the 2600+. But I was able to get the same effect horizontally, so shooting at the right opening of the screen and the bullets were visible on the left opening of the screen. It was the same for the 2600+ and real hardware. It is present in the enhanced version but also in the classic version. My guess it is a "feature" ;-) of the game itself.

Which version of the firmware are you using?

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I had a similar issue with another known working cart, and re-flashing the dumper and firmware fixed it for me as well.

*truth be told, I may have accidentally applied the wrong, older dumper update the first time. 😁

I could be guilty of 'User Error'.   But I'd have bet my grandmother's false teeth that it was running on r3 before.  Oh well, Dug is Digging again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Which version of the firmware are you using?

I'm using the latest firmware and dumper.

I tried to replicate It on Stella with PAL rom of berzerk but I couldn't.

Then I tried again on the + with my PAL enhaced cartridge and was super easy to replicate.

When I get home I'm going to try It on real hardware and see if this is an issue of this particular version

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

Then I tried again on the + with my PAL enhaced cartridge and was super easy to replicate.

Aha, I tried the NTSC enhanced cartridge. I will try it too with my PAL copy.

7 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

One problem I see is your screen is stretched! lol.

IMG_1629.jpeg

IMG_1630.jpeg

This is one of those games, like centipede, where the 2600 is arguably nicer than the 7800 version in some respects.

The others that come to mind are Joust, Ms Pac Man, and Milipede 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I don't know if this is a firmware issue cause I don't have my real hardware with me to test It, but this happened while playing berzerk enhaced (PAL)

I just saw a YouTube video where they were talking about this glitch. I’ll see if I can find it again. If I remember correctly they were referring to being able to do this years ago on original hardware.

2 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I'm using the latest firmware and dumper.

I tried to replicate It on Stella with PAL rom of berzerk but I couldn't.

When I get home I'm going to try It on real hardware and see if this is an issue of this particular version

I have tested again and I was able to replicate it on the 2600+ AND original hardware. 😃 Weirdly enough this "glitch" is only turning up when using the PAL cartridge of Berzerk Enhanced. I cannot replicate the glitch with the NTSC version. So probably something went wrong with the conversion of the cartridge to PAL.

As original hardware also show this glitch, it does not look like an emulator problem.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

I updated to the latest dumper and firmware image r6 and it is ALIVE.  Dig Dug is playing again!

I play this game all the time on latest and every previous firmware.  This looked like glitch behavior (ie, bad read), which could be the cart, but sometimes just happens (but pretty rare).  If it was consistently doing this and its working now then may have somehow been a bad flash I guess.  Glad its working.

25 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

As original hardware also show this glitch, it does not look like an emulator problem.

I can confirm that my Berzerk Enhanced PAL also shows this glitch on a real 2600. It doesn't hinder gameplay, so I consider it an "unintended feature" :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1