IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

12 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Gen X appears less visible as we don't have the standout negative trait that people judge all of a generation by.

They tried to throw 'slacker' at us, but it didn't really stick. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Gen X is 1965 - 1980. Perhaps this is a cultural difference, here I don't feel like it's narrow.

I think, like I said, Gen X appears less visible as we don't have the standout negative trait that people judge all of a generation by. For example if I said Racist or Snowflake, you would know which generation I'm talking about. 

Perhaps ours should be 'Gamer', still not negative, we just can't help it. 😋🤟🏻

Fifteen years isn’t a proper generation, I think you need at least 20 - unless we were all teen parents and I missed it? It’s also a bit rich considering people born in the early 60s to be somehow part of a “baby boom” of returning veterans.

It definitely seems to be something Americans are more fixated upon, but I do see stories here about the size of the “millennial” cohort and their lack of wealth - possibly having to do with waiting for the remaining “boomers” to die off.

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

Fifteen years isn’t a proper generation, I think you need at least 20 - unless we were all teen parents and I missed it?

Well, you may not consider it so, but the generations seem to be recognised as follows:

Lost generation 1883 to 1900 (17 Years)

Greatest generation 1901 to 1927 (26 Years)

Silent generation 1928 to 1945 (17 Years)

Baby Boomers 1946 to 1964 (18 Years)

Generation X 1965 to 1980 (15 Years)

Millennials (Gen Y) 1981 to 1996 (15 Years)

Generation Z 1997 to 2012 (15 Years)

Generation Alpha - You would assume 2013 to 2028, but opinion seems to differ, I've seen early 2010 to 2025, 2010s to mid 2020's. However it seems safe to assume that it will follow the 15 year pattern again.

So yeah, 15 years seems to be where it's settled as 'standard'.

I believe the generation names are just lines in the sand, social generations, drawn by other factors, not I am this gen and my kid is the next one. My dad is a Silent gen, I am Gen X for example.

I (Gen X) know I am unusual, but my case is also interesting, I had my daughter at 46. So I am a late starter! She is a gen Alpha, and only at the end of it, skipping all the Milllenial (Gen Y) and Gen Z stuff… Some would say thank goodness, I would decline to comment. 🙄🤣

I think all the talk of generations has been on Boomers and Millenials as this is what all the memes (which are often funny!) and crappy internet articles have focussed on. My gen got skipped in popular culture discussion, good, I am happy with that. The talk seems to have shifted onto Gen Z a little now, no doubt it will be Millenials vs Gen Z, we are forgotten... Great news, but we exist, here just chilling with our video games. 😊🕹️

EDIT: It's quite to cool that my Dad is Silent Gen (1944) and my Daughter is Gen Alpha (2021). Wow, so many changes in 77 years, what a different world.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Given how narrow the Gen-X window has become (I’m guessing so the boomers can count Obama amongst them so they had one good President to contribute), it’s not an unreasonable position. “Remembers when Atari made consoles” hardly seems like a definition of a generation to me. I don’t even know what the supposed marker is now - born in the 70s? Remembers hearing Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio in Primary school?

These are very clearly defined.

langen-simple-1920px-Generation_timeline

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Well, you may not consider it so, but the generations seem to be recognised as follows:

Lost generation 1883 to 1900 (17 Years)

Greatest generation 1901 to 1927 (26 Years)

Silent generation 1928 to 1945 (17 Years)

Baby Boomers 1946 to 1964 (18 Years)

Generation X 1965 to 1980 (15 Years)

Millennials (Gen Y) 1981 to 1996 (15 Years)

Generation Z 1997 to 2012 (15 Years)

Generation Alpha - You would assume 2013 to 2028, but opinion seems to differ, I've seen early 2010 to 2025, 2010s to mid 2020's. However it seems safe to assume that it will follow the 15 year pattern again.

So yeah, 15 years seems to be where it's settled as 'standard'.

I believe the generation names are just lines in the sand, social generations, drawn by other factors, not I am this gen and my kid is the next one. My dad is a Silent gen, I am Gen X for example.

I (Gen X) know I am unusual, but my case is also interesting, I had my daughter at 46. So I am a late starter! She is a gen Alpha, and only at the end of it, skipping all the Milllenial (Gen Y) and Gen Z stuff… Some would say thank goodness, I would decline to comment. 🙄🤣

I think all the talk of generations has been on Boomers and Millenials as this is what all the memes (which are often funny!) and crappy internet articles have focussed on. My gen got skipped in popular culture discussion, good, I am happy with that. The talk seems to have shifted onto Gen Z a little now, no dount it will be Millenials vs Gen Z, we are forgotten. Great news, but we exist, here just chilling with our video games. 😊🕹️

I agree with this totally.

There's of course the "biological" definition of generations, but here in the U.S. it's more defined by the culture, the music, the technology, the fashion, etc. that people grew up surrounded by.  That can be a narrower window of a decade or so.

Generation X saw the introduction of home computing and game consoles while growing up, but did not have any Internet or cellphones as part of their youth.  From a technological standpoint, those are two pretty big defining characteristics.  The following generation grew up in a much more technologically connected world with Internet and mobile phones as "standard".  They never knew a life without it.

Musically Generation X was defined by the introduction of MTV, the proliferation of music videos, and the popularity of iconic artists from Madonna to Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi to U2, Billy Joel to Prince, Van Halen to Whitney Houston and Lionel Ritchie.  It also saw the rise in popularity of hip hop and breakdancing, with artists from Run-D.M.C. to LL Cool J.

Fashion was bold and colorful, with big hair and loud style.  Sneaker culture grew with the introduction of Air Jordans, and who could forget the leg warmers, parachute pants, and neon everywhere.

The previous and following generations were not part of the culture mentioned above.

Of course there is overlap, and it's not necessarily strictly defined by exact years, but "in general" you could count yourself as being "mostly" part of one culture or another.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Gen X is 1965 - 1980. Perhaps this is a cultural difference, here I don't feel like it's narrow.

I think, like I said, Gen X appears less visible as we don't have the standout negative trait that people judge all of a generation by. For example if I said Racist or Snowflake, you would know which generation I'm talking about. 

Perhaps ours should be 'Gamer', still not negative, we just can't help it. 😋🤟🏻

We were the feral, latch-key kid, self reliant generation who were raised by the Silent generation. Gamers, punkers, metalheads, skaters, BMXers.

The last generation to grow up without cellphones, but the first generation to have desktop computers in school.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TampaBay said:

I agree with this totally.

There's of course the "biological" definition of generations, but here in the U.S. it's more defined by the culture, the music, the technology, the fashion, etc. that people grew up surrounded by.  That can be a narrower window of a decade or so.

Generation X saw the introduction of home computing and game consoles while growing up, but did not have any Internet or cellphones as part of their youth.  From a technological standpoint, those are two pretty big defining characteristics.  The following generation grew up in a much more technologically connected world with Internet and mobile phones as "standard".  They never knew a life without it.

Musically Generation X was defined by the introduction of MTV, the proliferation of music videos, and the popularity of iconic artists from Madonna to Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi to U2, Billy Joel to Prince, Van Halen to Whitney Houston and Lionel Ritchie.  It also saw the rise in popularity of hip hop and breakdancing, with artists from Run-D.M.C. to LL Cool J.

Fashion was bold and colorful, with big hair and loud style.  Sneaker culture grew with the introduction of Air Jordans, and who could forget the leg warmers, parachute pants, and neon everywhere.

The previous and following generations were not part of the culture mentioned above.

Of course there is overlap, and it's not necessarily strictly defined by exact years, but "in general" you could count yourself as being "mostly" part of one culture or another.  

Musically, Generation X was the last generation that invented new musical genres. Everything post Gen-X was a retread of previous Gen music. We brought punk and metal and rap/hip hop, and techno.

Millennials had grunge (classic 70's rock with terrible vocals) and numetal (a moronic offshoot of metal).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I do kind of love how Gen X mostly flies under the radar though. Like, you can just throw out any collection of social media insults/buzzwords and instantly know whether someone is talking about Boomers or Millennials.

To be totally honest, I think this is nothing more than a numbers thing. Boomers & Millennials out number GenX 2 to 1. So of course they are going to see themselves as the focus of things just because of the numbers.

3 minutes ago, pboland said:

To be totally honest, I think this is nothing more than a numbers thing. Boomers & Millennials out number GenX 2 to 1. So of course they are going to see themselves as the focus of things just because of the numbers.

It's also because of their approaches to everything. Boomers are outspoken loudmouths who think they know everything and are stuck in a timewarp to 1969. Millennials are whiny, self involved participation trophy recipients who think they deserve everything handed to them.

Gen X - we just go about our business, ignoring everyone and doing what is best for everyone to keep everything afloat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

It's also because of their approaches to everything. Boomers are outspoken loudmouths who think they know everything and are stuck in a timewarp to 1969. Millennials are whiny, self involved participation trophy recipients who think they deserve everything handed to them.

Gen X - we just go about our business, ignoring everyone and doing what is best for everyone to keep everything afloat.

So you're the good one, and the other ones are the bad ones?

Gotcha 

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

We were the feral, latch-key kid, self reliant generation

For me this is what truly defines Gen X; more than fashion, music or fads.

Pre-Gen X you grew up with more of an emphasis on family life, Mom is at home taking care of things and keeping tabs on the kids.

Post Gen-X you grow up with fulltime daycare, helicopter parenting, soccer moms, playdates, and generally being chaperoned everywhere.

But in between, growing up Gen X was a whole different ballgame.

- A huge number of moms entering the workforce before large scale formalized daycare, along with parents focusing on their jobs and themselves in the "Me" '80s, means KIDS ARE ON THEIR OWN.

- Travelling to and from school by yourself, coming home to an empty house with a list of crap to do on the table (throw something in the oven for dinner, clean up, take care of your sister)

- On weekends and in summer roaming the streets on bikes and hanging out from morning to night; no one knowing exactly where you are or what you are up to.

- Exploring ravines, jumping off roofs, blowing shit up with fireworks, fighting with bullies, buying tons of junk food from the convenience store, perusing old issues of Penthouse that someone swiped from their dad's stash, and generally getting up to all kinds of unsupervised mischief.

We fucked around and found out, a lot of times the hard way.  But we figured out how to do things for ourselves. 

We were mostly ignored then the same way we are now, so we learned not to give a shit and just get on with whatever we are doing, no fuss no muss.

And if any of that sounds like complaining, it's not.  I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

It's ok too isn't it? I enjoyed a long 'youth'. 🤣

Mine will be 3 in June. How old is yours?

It's the best.  My son is 7.  He's so much fun, and he definitely keeps me young!  I feel like I'm 25 (I'm 51).

Yes, exactly, my wife and I had a long "youth" as well, enjoyed traveling and having fun when we were in our 20's, 30's, and early 40s, and then when things slowed down naturally, we thought it was a great time to start a family, and it's been amazing.

Video game related, while my son does love his Nintendo Switch, we also have a great time playing Atari 2600 together!! 😀  He loves to beat me in Combat, Outlaw, Boxing, and Maze Craze!  He's also good at Jungle Hunt, Moon Patrol, and Bowling.  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jstick said:

For me this is what truly defines Gen X; more than fashion, music or fads.

Pre-Gen X you grew up with more of an emphasis on family life, Mom is at home taking care of things and keeping tabs on the kids.

Post Gen-X you grow up with fulltime daycare, helicopter parenting, soccer moms, playdates, and generally being chaperoned everywhere.

But in between, growing up Gen X was a whole different ballgame.

- A huge number of moms entering the workforce before large scale formalized daycare, along with parents focusing on their jobs and themselves in the "Me" '80s, means KIDS ARE ON THEIR OWN.

- Travelling to and from school by yourself, coming home to an empty house with a list of crap to do on the table (throw something in the oven for dinner, clean up, take care of your sister)

- On weekends and in summer roaming the streets on bikes and hanging out from morning to night; no one knowing exactly where you are or what you are up to.

- Exploring ravines, jumping off roofs, blowing shit up with fireworks, fighting with bullies, buying tons of junk food from the convenience store, perusing old issues of Penthouse that someone swiped from their dad's stash, and generally getting up to all kinds of unsupervised mischief.

We fucked around and found out, a lot of times the hard way.  But we figured out how to do things for ourselves. 

We were mostly ignored then the same way we are now, so we learned not to give a shit and just get on with whatever we are doing, no fuss no muss.

And if any of that sounds like complaining, it's not.  I wouldn't change a thing.

This. Nobody said we were perfect, but we're fine with who we are.

I'm Gen X.  We exist, and we're also cooler than everybody else, but generally don't need to tell you all that, because everybody knows it anyway.  It's not really even debatable.  You can have another opinion, you'll just be wrong.  Our group has lived experience that spans technological and cultural eras in an almost historically unique way that groups before and after us do not.  In brief, we're often pretty up to speed with modern digital tech, even leading the revolution still, but we know or experienced a lot of what came before, even decades or centuries before, much more so than later generations commonly do.  I'd say we have a lot of... perspective.  And all the best music.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

We're the one you don't hear much about, and we keep to ourselves for the most part and let the other two work out their issues on social media like it's some kind of middle school put down contest.

I’m content to let the rest of them run the world, it’s cool.

But with regards to this gen xyz nonsense, Obama being a boomer still makes no sense to me - he’s only a few years older than I am. And the definitions have shifted if not the years. Growing up with a computer in the house was very far from normal in the 80s unless you were somewhat affluent. I think everyone having a VCR is more relevant or when Compact Disc was introduced (or video games). And kids born after 1980 didn’t “grow up with the internet” - the web didn’t debut until 1995 and even then you still had to subscribe to a service like Compuserve or America online or be in a university that had a computer lab. The first time I had what I would consider a modern internet connection using a ISP - which was still dialup - was in 1997 or ‘98?

You can pull all the colourful graphs out of your ass you want, but these definitions are extremely subjective and only apply to a minority of the population of planet Earth anyway. Hell Scotland isn’t that far from America, but outside of big Hollywood movies and the odd TV show I have very little cultural overlap with people my age on this island. Being “Gen X” is pretty much meaningless to me outside of remembering a time before now because I had the temerity to leave the land of my birth - I prefer the ‘70s film and music scene anyway 😜

End of line

2 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I’m content to let the rest of them run the world, it’s cool.

But with regards to this gen xyz nonsense, Obama being a boomer still makes no sense to me - he’s only a few years older than I am. And the definitions have shifted if not the years. Growing up with a computer in the house was very far from normal in the 80s unless you were somewhat affluent. I think everyone having a VCR is more relevant or when Compact Disc was introduced (or video games). And kids born after 1980 didn’t “grow up with the internet” - the web didn’t debut until 1995 and even then you still had to subscribe to a service like Compuserve or America online or be in a university that had a computer lab. The first time I had what I would consider a modern internet connection using a ISP - which was still dialup - was in 1997 or ‘98?

You can pull all the colourful graphs out of your ass you want, but these definitions are extremely subjective and only apply to a minority of the population of planet Earth anyway. Hell Scotland isn’t that far from America, but outside of big Hollywood movies and the odd TV show I have very little cultural overlap with people my age on this island. Being “Gen X” is pretty much meaningless to me outside of remembering a time before now because I had the temerity to leave the land of my birth - I prefer the ‘70s film and music scene anyway 😜

End of line

But Sean, all this aside, when are you buying that Windows PC to update your Atari? Come to the dark side. You know it makes sense. 😋

• Haha 3