IGNORED

Nintellivision (NINTY-DS) Official Release and Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Curious, how well do you think you would play Burgertime (or any Inty game) using something as common as an SNES controller? 

I've never owned a Super Nintendo but looking at the standard controller?

Probably just as good as I do with the DSi because the setup looks the same as far as the direction pad and the buttons.  

I've released version 5.2: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/NINTV-DS

V5.2 : 22-Jun-2024 by wavemotion-dave

• Improved MOB collision detection to fix GORF
  • Improved MOB rendering so that Y coordinates of zero don't draw (fixes minor glitch in Beauty and the Beast at end of levels)
  • Improved JLP detection so we don't enable it inadvertently (previous versions were taking jlp_flash = 0 as enabling JLP flash support with 0K flash file).

Just minor updates here, but thanks to taking a closer took at JZINTV MOB code, I've made an accuracy improvement that fixes the collision detection in GORF and also at least one known minor glitch in Beauty and the Beast (when you cleared all 10 floors in a building, the 'screen shake' effect would show the beast slide in from the top briefly... this was due to that MOB being set at Y=0 and rendering off-screen but wrapping around when the screen coordinates were shifted).

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is fast becoming my favorite way to play the games.  

Need to get me a long play controller when I come back from vacation to have the same feel when I'm playing the Sears console. 

Another career high on BurgerTime! 

20240623_232522.jpg

Edited by Crash7
Spelling
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Stvlawson said:

I love Nintellivision! I haven't enjoyed playing Intellivision this much since getting the original console 43 years ago.

Thanks for that! I do appreciate the appreciation for the work done here. It's kinda all I get. Oh... and the ability to play AD&D Treasure of Tarmin at 130% speed so I can zip down hallways :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stvlawson said:

I love Nintellivision! I haven't enjoyed playing Intellivision this much since getting the original console 43 years ago.

It's kind of funny how much I like Nintellivision. The Intellivision 2 was a sleeker repackaging of the original, and the INTV System 3 was another repackaging of the original system, and that's kind of disappointing. But the Nintellivision feels like a repackaging done right.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eisengrim said:

It's kind of funny how much I like Nintellivision. The Intellivision 2 was a sleeker repackaging of the original, and the INTV System 3 was another repackaging of the original system, and that's kind of disappointing. But the Nintellivision feels like a repackaging done right.

It's the controller.  You get much more consistency and a better feel using the Nintendo direction pad, than you do using the disc and (especially) the side buttons. 

You can really tell the difference on games like BurgerTime and GORF.

Using the regular controllers GORF is absolute murder on your fingers because of the side buttons being so tight.

Using my DSI XL it's a walk in the park. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay somehow I have managed to make my Nintellivision "Controller" stop functioning on the bottom screen, thus I can no longer play games because I can't get the ROMs to show up.  

I have no idea why, I think I have the latest everything and I have the right exec files to get the ROM's going also. 

The NES emulator that I have running on the same SD card works fine.  

Any suggestions on what I did wrong because I don't have a clue, went to play it when I was in Vegas and it wouldn't pop up.  🙄

I would say if it's possible the ONE thing this wonderful emulator needs?

Is the save game option like Sega Genesis had.  

In between sleep, and taking care of my dog I would say this game has been running off and on for about 12 hours. 

Have no idea how many men I even have left LOL 

Maybe if I'm lucky enough to flip it over I'll just end it after that.  

As much as I'm in the main menu I can't believe I didn't notice it 

As I said on Facebook this little device has everything you need 

You should be proud of your work. 

It changes the way these games are being played. 

New career high on BurgerTime!  

20240711_065655.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crash7 said:

As much as I'm in the main menu I can't believe I didn't notice it 

As I said on Facebook this little device has everything you need 

You should be proud of your work. 

It changes the way these games are being played. 

New career high on BurgerTime!  

20240711_065655.jpg

Wait - so you got to the end of Gorf without saving? That is really impressive!

That career high score lasted about 30 hours. LOL 

The game plays at the same speed as the console, it's just the movements are better because the control pad is better than the disc. 

My next trick is a long play controller for the Sears console so I can try to get a million on GORF on film.

20240712_123357.jpg

• Like 2

Third straight day of setting a new high score, but I've never gotten past the screen below. 

Heck I've only gotten past the one before that twice.

You need a lot of men and a lot of pepper.

Also when I hit the million on GORF I ended my game and I killed the rest of my ships. 

62 of them. LOL 

If somebody can please DM at me and point me in the right direction as to get the Sega Genesis main files for it's emulator running on that DSi XL I would appreciate it. 

20240714_065622.jpg

2 hours ago, Crash7 said:

Third straight day of setting a new high score, but I've never gotten past the screen below. 

What level is that?  The Twingalaxies high score just shy of a milllion only reaches level 22. So it's possible to dramatically increase your score in the same number of levels.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

What level is that?  The Twingalaxies high score just shy of a milllion only reaches level 22. So it's possible to dramatically increase your score in the same number of levels.

I'm pretty sure that's 23 I watched the 994,000 video he was doing things I couldn't do that long.  I'd forget easily LOL

My DSI XL must be an Atari Fan. 

I can play it for hours.  Then all of the sudden after N5.2 loads up?  That's as far as it goes.  Will not show the games list for Nintellivision.  

Just stays on the main screen with the controller.  I only have two running on this: NINTV and NES.  

Even when I go through Twilight and see the ROM folder it shows NES games, but when I click on the INTV rom folder it just goes back to the previous screen. 

Sometimes re-installing does the trick.  Until the same thing happens again. 

Any idea's why this is happening or is my XL just picky? LOL   

I can't think of anything beyond the SD card itself. Be sure you're using the official SD card formatter from the SD Organization - it's the only tool I know of that will reliably make the SD card 32K standard clusters.. don't ever trust Windows to do that format correctly. You will run into intermittent problems if the card is not properly laid out.

I've used my small army of DSI XLs for several years without any problems - they boot reliably and work every time with all 7 of my emulators.  I've not heard of anyone else that has had this specific issue.

• Thanks 1

Currently working on a virtual disc overlay.  This overlay will be built-in for all games and toggled in/out with a button press (default is START... just as SELECT is the Main Menu).

This should allow games that make better use of a full 16-digital contact disc like Bowling or PGA Golf.  The vast majority of games won't need this... but it will bring benefit to those that could use the extra precision.

Now I just need to re-learn some basic Geometry to break up the hit-regions into 16 slices/wedges. My current touch-screen hit detection is based on simple-to-compute rectangles.

image.png.dbde370c5388a881073d1382468a649b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wavemotion said:

Currently working on a virtual disc overlay.  This overlay will be built-in for all games and toggled in/out with a button press (default is START... just as SELECT is the Main Menu).

This should allow games that make better use of a full 16-digital contact disc like Bowling or PGA Golf.  The vast majority of games won't need this... but it will bring benefit to those that could use the extra precision.

Now I just need to re-learn some basic Geometry to break up the hit-regions into 16 slices/wedges. My current touch-screen hit detection is based on simple-to-compute rectangles.

image.png.dbde370c5388a881073d1382468a649b.png

Very cool! I find that I do better on BurgerTime with a disc than a dpad - excited to see this!

• Like 2