IGNORED

A bit of advice for Atari as a brand in 2024

2 hours ago, Marc Fiorillo said:

If we are going to have a dream list, then I would love to see a cartridge based 5200+ with updated/upgraded joysticks!!  But after all the 2600+ issues are ironed out!

If so, it should have 2 cartridge dumpers: one for 5200 and one for Atari 8-bit consoles. Even it looks like a 5200 as to exterior, it should emulate everything Atari 8-bit, and have 4 controller-ports.

(I don’t think they’ll do this now that the 400 Mini will be released, and they may need to focus on getting IPs or licensing games for these systems to have and generate official support, but sure it would be cool).

• Like 3

On 3/22/2024 at 11:20 PM, Marc Fiorillo said:

If we are going to have a dream list, then I would love to see a cartridge based 5200+ with updated/upgraded joysticks!!  But after all the 2600+ issues are ironed out!

FINALLY someone of reason.... one for Big Sexy!!! ....and hopefully in a smaller form factor while maintaining that same sexy "figure"

....and one that'll be 100% backwards compatible with all existing 5200 carts (including both generations of the Atarimax SD cart) controllers and accessories, including the world-famous CX53 trak-ball.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 5:02 PM, LS650 said:

I draw the line at sneakers.

Sneakers.jpg

Hey, I love my CARIUMA Atari shoes, they are bad-ass... and I look awesome as shit in them, and people make comments too. I'm about the size of Reacher, but wearing specially ordered size 13 Cariuma Atari shoes.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:56 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Enough with the “swag”. 

Your target audience aren’t teenagers who shop at Supreme and other mall clothing stores trying to impress kids at school. Nobody buying Atari 2600+ consoles is paying $40 for a t-shirt with an Atari logo on it.

games. Just make games. You’re not a rock band. We don’t want your merch table junk. 

/rant

I think the 80s is really back in style right now. I really wonder what the "style" of this decade will be, because outside of the 1990s... once the 2000 hit, it seems like the last 20 years have all been pretty much the same. Only big change is pleated pants are lame, and cargo shorts are out.

But when I drop my daughter off at high school, and occasionally pick her up from sports, there are a lot of people wearing 80s stuff. Mostly (to be fair), 1980s rock bands. Not a damned one of them know who Motley Crue or Metallica are, probably... but I do see Atari shirts, and I get really excited, but then have to remind myself that these kids probably have no idea what Atari is any more than Aerosmith or Led Zepplin... and they certainly don't need compliments from a 46 year old man. So I keep to myself.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

have to remind myself that these kids probably have no idea what Atari is any more than Aerosmith or Led Zepplin...

…everyone knows rock-stars usually have enormous personal problems relentlessly screwing up their minds, but I think even Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin noticed Atari’s existence… 

Edited by Giles N

10 hours ago, Giles N said:

…everyone knows rock-stars usually have enormous personal problems relentlessly screwing up their minds, but I think even Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin noticed Atari’s existence… 

Hi, sorry, that was abbreviated English. I should have said,

"I have to remind myself that these kids probably have no idea what Atari is any more than they know who Aerosmith or Led Zepplin is..."

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Hi, sorry, that was abbreviated English. I should have said,

"I have to remind myself that these kids probably have no idea what Atari is any more than they know who Aerosmith or Led Zepplin is..."

It was (intended as ) a very, very dry joke from my side… I should’ve emoji’ed it properly… (then even dem kidz wouid’ve taken it)

….yet, thinking about the rockstars of the 70ies and 80ies (and most XXies after that too), the scenario isn’t utterly off…which I find kinda hilarious in its own dysfunctional ‘n tragic way… 

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2024 at 9:57 PM, hizzy said:

A book compiling all the instructions!

I really like this idea, a lot!

I think copyright might make it a non starter, but this is otherwise my favourite idea.

Imagine a huge book with 2600, 5200 and 7800 sections, all manuals, you pick it up and check the game grids, difficulty settings, read a dumb story, throw that cart in, fantastic.

Edited by JetmanUK

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Imagine a huge book with 2600, 5200 and 7800 sections, all manuals, you pick it up and check the game grids, difficulty settings, read a dumb story, throw that cart in, fantastic.

Something like this? 

Ordered the 7800 Manual Compendium and had it delivered last week. 7800 games only but it's pretty sweet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

Something like this? 

Ordered the 7800 Manual Compendium and had it delivered last week. 7800 games only but it's pretty sweet!

Yeah, that looks great. Have they done a 2600 one too? An actual printed book would be better, but this is nice. 

Edited by JetmanUK

I'm passively working on the Atari 2600 Manual Compendium.  Biggest issue is I get porked on pricing for premium color.. and it really does deserve the premium color. :(

I'm working on some test prints to see if there is a way to game Lulu.com's "standard color prints" to turn out better- it's very dark.

That, and there is a bajillion pages.  Not sure there would be interest in buying three $35 volumes (Atari corp, major 3rd parties, one-shots).  Also haven't quite figured out how to do the poster spreads for the ones like Joust and Mario Bros.  It's very difficult to work across the gutter margins and I'm not sure how legible it will be if I scrunch it down to an 8.5x11" page.

Oh, in my free time. ;)

I only have 47 of the 69 Atari 5200 manuals.  If a collector would let me borrow the missing ones, I'd knock that version out in under a month.

62 of 74 on Lynx.. but that's a niche market.

Only have like 15 Jaguar manuals.  Too spendy for a system I don't collect (have to have $$ for other projects).  Would love to colorize them, though.....

Edited by Kirkland
update
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kirkland said:

I only have 47 of the 69 Atari 5200 manuals.  If a collector would let me borrow the missing ones, I'd knock that version out in under a month.

I have all 5200 manuals except Bounty Bob Strikes back. I could lend you the ones you are missing.

Maybe for the VCS/2600 do an Atari compendium, an Activision compendium, and maybe combine a few other. major 3rd party devs into a third compendium.

People can then choose what they want and save a little $ or buy all.

9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

This one has text versions of the 2600 manuals. It's clearly not as nice as this 7800 version, but at least the information is there:

http://www.westg8.com/atari.html

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 1:40 PM, SuperZapperRecharge said:

I have all 5200 manuals except Bounty Bob Strikes back. I could lend you the ones you are missing.

Wanted to take a stab at how I would need to convert Bounty Bob Strikes Back from poster to 8.5"x11" pages (while retaining look/feel/intent) before I committed.  I think it turned out ok, so I will proceed...

I'll reach out when I'm off work tomorrow.  Work sucks, btw.

Luckily there is a very decent (though pixelated) scan available.  Not the 1200dpi archiving I do, but enough to convert.

https://atariage.com/manual_page.php?SystemID=5200&SoftwareLabelID=718&ItemTypeID=&currentPage=0&maxPages=1

Bounty Bob Strikes Back (USA).pdf

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 5:46 PM, Rodney Hester said:

There would be from me.

I would also totally buy these - far more appealing than a set of World Book encyclopaedias and no doubt easier to read than the mixed bag of PDFs I have stapled together in a folder.