IGNORED

A bit of advice for Atari as a brand in 2024

I have a Atari T-shirt, it the fuji logo with ATARI under it, and another that says Retro Gamer 1972 to 1982 and has a picture of the VCS on it, I get them from eBay so they do not need be made by Atari, but I do like other t-shirts too like `No Fear`, I like them cause there have skulks on them and I have no fear now, like I did when I was a kid, I have a lot of them, I am wearing one now.
Atari should stick to making games, 20 years ago they published PC Games like The Path of Neo(PS2/PC)I still have it on my PS2, I liked that game and Enter The Matrix, but Steam killed PC Games on disc off that why I play games now on a console and not on PC so I can buy games on disc(PS5) I like have them in my hand not a download.
Every company has to change with the times and not sell the same things all the time, now Retro is in at the moment so old tech is back so money in it.

You can see what they did sell 20 years ago by using Wayback Machine and using it on there website, wow Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines on PC... lol.

They made a cool t-shirt for the C64, its a blueprint of the C64 where all its parts are floating in the air so you see all its parts, like its keyboard and main board inside its case, its printed on a blue t-shirt, I wish you could get one like that for the VCS, they are hard to get hold of now.

Blueprint C64 T-shirt.jpg

• Like 2

I've got several Atari (and themed) shirts, and actually wear them. Get some comments. Most the actual mall stuff is unlicensed, so not sure about that. I still get things I like though.

As for new games, as opposed to repops (some I'd buy, if available) why not hire some of the homebrew talent that's on atariage? Granted, if their only going to make 100-500 copies,eh...why bother?

• Like 1

I think the thrust of JSM's comment is that it would be nice to see a little less emphasis on T-shirts, energy drinks, etc. - and a little more on actual _games_.

There are folks out there wondering why they are still waiting months for the 'limited edition release' games, and yet they're getting asked to buy Atari sneakers.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, LS650 said:

I think the thrust of JSM's comment is that it would be nice to see a little less emphasis on T-shirts, energy drinks, etc. - and a little more on actual _games_.

There are folks out there wondering why they are still waiting months for the 'limited edition release' games, and yet they're getting asked to buy Atari sneakers.

100% this.

don't take my money for games 5 months in advance and then hound me to buy ugly ass sneakers in email every day in between. 

• Like 1

I get it, I dont speak for Atari in general, only for 2600+ related matters. I would say though that all the merchandise is I suspect all licensed product and because the licensees make and distribute the lines like sneakers and hats its just plugged into well oiled machines. And people buy them so hence why they get churned out.

As for games I can tell you that great efforts are being make to secure re-issues, ports and new games for the 2600+, I am personally chasing down minimum of 10 releases, but its very hard and time consuming to actually do deals - they more then often fail to get anywhere. I did though sign a three 2600 game compilation today, another re-issue but pretty cool colleciton, more detail to follow on that probably next month.

My bosses want me to exceed sales performance next FY, so I, along with Atari need to beat 2600+ launch sales, the only way for me to do this is to sell consoles, games and accessories that people want to buy in greater numbers. The commercial attractiveness of the 2600+ range has to grow and get better.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I get it, I dont speak for Atari in general, only for 2600+ related matters. I would say though that all the merchandise is I suspect all licensed product and because the licensees make and distribute the lines like sneakers and hats its just plugged into well oiled machines. And people buy them so hence why they get churned out.

As for games I can tell you that great efforts are being make to secure re-issues, ports and new games for the 2600+, I am personally chasing down minimum of 10 releases, but its very hard and time consuming to actually do deals - they more then often fail to get anywhere. I did though sign a three 2600 game compilation today, another re-issue but pretty cool colleciton, more detail to follow on that probably next month.

My bosses want me to exceed sales performance next FY, so I, along with Atari need to beat 2600+ launch sales, the only way for me to do this is to sell consoles, games and accessories that people want to buy in greater numbers. The commercial attractiveness of the 2600+ range has to grow and get better.

Hi Ben,

I enjoy these little snippets of news. :)

With regards to an older bit of news, is there an update on the enhanced title which was referenced alongside the three upcoming 7800 titles?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Hi Ben,

I enjoy these little snippets of news. :)

With regards to an older bit of news, is there an update on the enhanced title which was referenced alongside the three upcoming 7800 titles?

I saw some info on it, the other week. I think they have started work on it.

• Like 4

I like the emails, it gives these third parties a chance to pitch their product to people who signed up to get this kind of news. Sure, I suppose you could subdivide your mailing list into "games only", "games and clothing", "games and clothing and merch", but it's also possible for people to only open emails they are interested in. Never woulda purchased the Artovision stuff without the email, and I love that they include VCS discounts as well sometimes. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, NicodemusLegend said:

"Nobody buying Atari 2600+ consoles is paying $40 for a t-shirt with an Atari logo on it."

I am 100% certain that this statement is not true.

I would pay $60 for an Atari T-shirt. I would use it as a dust cover for my 2600+ to replace the generic one I currently have. 💪😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looking at the history of Atari, there is a danger in relying too heavily on nostalgia and not enough on bringing something new to the table. 

The 2600+ is a great starting point and there is a lot of legacy games available in the aftermarket to fill the gap until new official releases come out. 

But where Atari went wrong in the 80’s IMO, was with releasing the same games over and over again. Centipede, Asteroids, Ms. PAC-Man and others were released on every 80’s Atari Console and left consumers with just upgrading graphics, not getting many new games or experiences. 

For the future of the 2600+ to be a growth market, I think what’s needed more than anything else will be fresh titles. 

Mr. Run and Jump was a strong start. It needs to build from there. Maybe a brand new 7800 title next. What about an actual Metroidvania for the 7800. Something in the vein of Hollow Knight for example. 

Having an exclusive like that with wide appeal would really get people excited and I believe drive sales. 

It’s fun to have the classics, and I have plenty of them. But growth will require something we don’t already have access to.  

my 2 cents. 

Edited by MikeM_
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I love Atari swag.  I do collect old Atari swag from the 80's.  I don't mind if there is new swag to go around.  Physical artifacts make you feel like you own a piece of the company; it's like owning physical media instead of digital. However I do have to draw the line at sneakers!  Maybe I'm old school, but I definitely don't get that one.

How about a new Atari Club print magazine?  Now that would be something to look forward to in the mailbox every so often!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I enjoy all kinds of merch being available. It's all exposure for Atari. I own a couple of Atari Ts, although I only seldom wear gaming clothes, it's nice to wear them every now and then.

I could see myself buying Atari trainers as I own some Nintendo ones from some years ago and I really wanted a pair of Xbox ones... but usually the UK is considered a non market for this kind of merch with it often being USA only. Grrrrr.

Things I'd like:

Atari Ts

Atari Hoody

Atari Trainers

Atari Mugs

Atari Games (obviously!)

Atari CD/Cassette, preferably cassette!

I'm a big music fan so some random weird Atari music collectable would be cool. Perhaps tunes from the Recharged games? Atari Cyberpunk Retrowave Synthwave album?

Atari - I might not buy it all, but for me I say release all the kinds of merch that you think will sell, it's existence or marketing does not upset me one bit. Go make money and be successful! 🤟🏻

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I like the emails, it gives these third parties a chance to pitch their product to people who signed up to get this kind of news. Sure, I suppose you could subdivide your mailing list into "games only", "games and clothing", "games and clothing and merch", but it's also possible for people to only open emails they are interested in. Never woulda purchased the Artovision stuff without the email, and I love that they include VCS discounts as well sometimes. 

The emails are good to have.  I'm signed up to their newsletter.  It would be nice if there was a way to select which things you'd want them to email you about.  Also, they're not sending me that many emails so it doesn't bother me.  It's like one a week which is fine.  As for the Artovision, I came across that on their site.  I bought one on sale & I like it.  It's a cool display piece. 

19 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This is good to hear.  Also, looking forward to seeing what the 3 game compilation is.

• Like 2

I dig the swag - bought a messenger bag when someone on Facebook - when I could be bothered with that - noted I could get one on Amazon UK. So keep sending me the emails, but maybe indicate everywhere these things can be purchased outside the US or have targeted ads for people in various markets? I’ll fill out a survey to get emails about stuff I can actually get in my territory if it means I get notifications that aren’t just a tease 😅. I mean weren’t spreadsheets supposed to be used for stuff like this? Kinda vertical marketing 101, eh? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 12:23 AM, Albert said:

The same people are not working on these different products, so production of merchandise is not slowing down design and production of games, accessories, and consoles.

Yet it would be even cooler (imho), to see tech-stuff being Atari-licensed or having using the Atari Logo on festured exclusives:

2 come to my mind: (modern) Panasonic TVs with Atari Logo, Tesla’s (or Tesla-something) with an Atari Logo. (I think they did some stuff with Mercedes or some car which could access AntStream).

Having Atari being assoicated with technology, would be ‘even cooler’, given an appropiate combination.

Anyone here who’d like a black 80 inch flatscreen with a silver-shiny Atari logo - to use with a 2600+ ot 400Mini…?

What about a gamer-PC with an Atari-Logo - with an VCS-mode inbuilt…?

- - -

Ok, I’ll admit, I’m not the one to know who would want to pay who for anything in this direction.

But for my own part I do associate Atari with consoles, home-computers, arcades, and games, more than wear.

Having a huge quality flatscreen/modern TV - with an Atari-Logo, would ‘feel right’…

Same with gamer-PC, PC-monitors, mouses, flight-sticks, and what-not in that direction.

(This post not like contra run-of-mill merch, just what I think could put things more in a ‘natural’ [uhm… digital…?] context)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Atari music collectable would be cool. Perhaps tunes from the Recharged games?

They could release both CDs and Stream-albums with relevant/quality sound-music: it would feel like relevant merch, both a bit ‘cool-ish’ and also a media-thing.

- - -

You forgot scubadiving-suit in your wear-list!

- - -

If they get NASA or Space-X (in the year 2054) to have an Astronaut wear an Atari-Logo on his/her space-suit, they’ve made history…!!! 😉😁🚀

- - -

On a less notable note; they could have dog-food or dog-collars with Atari-Logo’s on the cans and collars.

Atsri-dumpster? Nah… 

Privately owned bombs, triple-laser-guns, flamethrowers… hmm…uhmm … well… well…

Ice-gun…? What about Atari icecube machine…? Atari church-organ…? Hmm; what about an Atari synth-keyboard - something that has a huge library of 8-bit-ish sounds, synthwave, etc, but released on huge label like Korg or Roland…? That’d be cool!

Edited by Giles N

But Iike to rizz with my drip like a hypebeast, because I'm Yolo Swaggins, like and subscribe. 😎

In all seriousness, I understand the concern, I just needed an excuse to vomit Gen Z and Alpha terms together into an (in)cohesive sentence, for "the lols" as us "geriatric millennials" used to say 20 years ago (born in 81).

I think even the old-school Bushnell Atari had t-shirts and ball caps though, just probably only sold (or earned as prizes with tickets) at arcades 50 years ago. I see no harm in selling that stuff online, since few of us have an authentic arcade nearby (Dave & Busters does not count).