IGNORED

5200 plug and play video mod

mreddr

And while I'm at it, how the $&*@*$!  do I get that expansion port cover off?  I swear to god it doesn't want to come off by any means known to man!

Tempest

Push the two bottom tabs out from the back. You have to be a bit firm but it will pop out.

One other thing. When putting the wire into the expansion cover, pull the wires the the expansion HOLE and then put the wires through the cover. Getting the cover with the wires on it through the expansion hole is very difficult. Doing it the first way is much easier.

Allan

LOL Tempest, it's not too difficult. It really depends on how you want to wire it, but it comes with everything you would need for a stereo (thru the 1/8 headphone jack) and a composite video RCA, and separate Chroma & Luma (also thru RCA) The separate chroma & luma are only good for the old Commodore monitors, or you can use those wires if you are using s-video. Basically with this mod you would need a 1/8 headphone jack to dual rca spliter for the stereo output on a TV, and then basic red/white/yellow rca cables.

For the RF shielding I used needle nose pliers to bend up the tabs, then a pocket knife to break loose, it came up easily enough. I used 1/4" drill bit on the rca jack openings on the expansion port cover. I used the templete, name plate sticker as a guide for spacing but didn't care for it back there, so I removed once I but my pieces in. And yeah it's a good idea to pay attention to how it hooks up, as I don't believe those wires come back out of that molex connector thingie once they are pushed in. There are 2 wires on each rca that you use, a main & a ground, the ground is looped together and wired to the washers that are used on the inside to mount the rcas on the expansion port cover. And you have the wire that passed thru the center of the rca, and is already soldered up, and it simply plugs into the molex deal on the other side. The ground goes to all of them when it's put together.

So basically you open it up

Remove RF shielding

Remove Exp cover

Remove GTIA cip as pictured

Install on video mod board

Install video mod board in it's place on the 5200

The take the drill bit to the expansion cover, as needed to put all the ports you want back there.

Pull out all your wiring stuff and separate it.

He's got a color code by which is going to which on the video mod board thing, but it's not too important, but may make you're connects off by however you've got it placed on the expansion cover, your video could be a luma, or a chroma a composite, or whatever. Again that all depends on how and what you use anyway, you may only want composite video & stereo.

Pass the rca jacks thru the holes you drilled, and then pass the ground washers on them, then the nut to hold in place.

Then snap the other ends to the molex connector.

plug the molex into the video mod board.

connect the jumper lead, to the pin as marked in the other picture I posted.

Put the RF shielding back on.

Assmeble.

Test.

Play.

:D

This is what mine will look like:

post-43-1069638404_thumb.jpg

Ok I think I have it hooked up right, but I have two questions:

1. Does the clip go on the third or fourth pin of the Pokey chip?

2. What kind of cable do I use for the composite? It looks like I just need three wires to plug into the RCA jacks (Video, and the two sound). If I wanted to use S-Video would I use the Chroma and Luma jacks?

Tempest

Nope I just used what came in the kit. Like I said, there are a few games that use Artifacting (Choplifter, AE, Microgammon, Mini Golf) so I'm not sure I'd want to use it anyway (although it would be nice to have the option).

I tested the mod and it works, except I have one complaint. Everything seems a little too dark. The whites especially (like in the spash screen letters) seem "dingy" and almost gray. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a pot or something I can use to adjust the color brightness?

Tempest

Yeah I'm not doing it exactly like the instructions. I use S-video on most everything, so I decided I'd use S-video on the 5200 as well. 8)

As far as artifacting goes, I plan on using one of these on any games that require it. It's a simple inline deal that gives me a composite output. I could add another composite video rca to the back, but not with the way it's spaced currently not enough room. Would have to be on the back of one of my other 5200s.

@Tempest, I don't believe there are two rcas for sound! It's one 1/8" headphone jack! Those other rcas are for separate chroma & luma outputs not sound.

@Tempest, I don't believe there are two rcas for sound! It's one 1/8" headphone jack! Those other rcas are for separate chroma & luma outputs not sound.

Yeah yeah I know, I used a headphone to rca adapter I had lying around for that.

Anyone else had the dark color problem I had?

Tempest

Anyone else had the dark color problem I had?  

Tempest

Nope, mine looks and plays fine. A great picture.

Even with S-Video, the artifacting you speak of isn't a big deal. As soon as Sean fixes my multi-cart, I'll be a "happy 5200 camper".

-Lee

So no one is having the "dark" problem I am?  Is there a pot I can adjust in the 5200 to brighten things up?  I assume I have the mod installed right or I wouldn't see anything.

Tempest

I might be, not sure yet. I only played it on the projector last night. Nothing like Centpede on a projector =) I'll test again with my tv when I get home tonight and let you know.

-miah

I'll test again with my tv when I get home tonight and let you know.  

Yeah Centipede looked alright from what I remember (and so did Pole Position). Try some games that aren't normally so bright. Also take a look at the text on the start up screen. That's where I first noticed that it was a dingy white rather than the bright white it normally is.

Tempest

That first link doesn't work for me..  Is it basically the '12' S-Video to 2x RCA ?

That, or there is a 6' version too

I don't understand how thats going to get me audio, because the audio out on this mod is similar to a headphone jack. a RCA cable is not big enought 'snap' into it. Video out works fine though. The way this cable looks to me is that on one end it has 2 RCA jacks, and on the other it has one SVIDEO jack. I don't know lots about these types of hookups, but looking at the cable I get confused. The colors on the RCA jacks are Red and White, which are generally used for AUDIO, and then it has the Svideo connector. Maybe the picture just sucks.

I just tested a bunch of games Galaxian, Pac-Man, Defender, Countermeasure, and QIX and they all worked great. *awesome* picture. But playing without sound sucks. So I need to figure that part out.

I guess thats the part I wish was better about the documentation. Or if this requires some special adapter, I wish he listed which adapter it needed to do SVIDEO so that I could buy that.

To get audio, you need a cable like the one below...

42-2550.jpg

They are often used to connect a computer sound card to a set of speakers. It has a headphone plug on one end and stereo RCA plugs on the other. The single end plugs into the audio jack on the new 5200 cover and the two RCA ends go to your television's left and right audio in plugs.

DSC00063.gif

The cable below is the s-video cable that connects to the seperate chroma and luma outputs. You plug the two RCA ends into the chroma and luma jacks on the back of the 5200 cover and the s-video end into the s-video input on your television.

au255212_lrg.jpg

Hope this helps!

To get audio, you need a cable like the one below...

42-2550.jpg

They are often used to connect a computer sound card to a set of speakers.  It has a headphone plug on one end and stereo RCA plugs on the other.  The single end plugs into the audio jack on the new 5200 cover and the two RCA ends go to your television's left and right audio in plugs.

DSC00063.gif

The cable below is the s-video cable that connects to the seperate chroma and luma outputs.  You plug the two RCA ends into the chroma and luma jacks on the back of the 5200 cover and the s-video end into the s-video input on your television.

au255212_lrg.jpg

Hope this helps!

That makes much more sense. Thanks!