IGNORED

5200 plug and play video mod

mreddr

You have a choice between two different A/V mods now. The other one is by Longhornengineer.com

This mod isn't really that hard to install. The biggest PITA is getting off the RF shield. My only advice on that one is to make sure you get the board out of the case first and then it won't be as bad.

The only thing you'll need that doesn't come with the kit is a drill and 1/4 inch drill bit. A pocket knife would come in handy too.

The thing about the 8bitdomain.com mod is Mike can sometimes take a long time in shipping your board.

Edited by HammR25

You have a choice between two different A/V mods now. The other one is by Longhornengineer.com

This mod isn't really that hard to install. The biggest PITA is getting off the RF shield. My only advice on that one is to make sure you get the board out of the case first and then it won't be as bad.

The only thing you'll need that doesn't come with the kit is a drill and 1/4 inch drill bit. A pocket knife would come in handy too.

The thing about the 8bitdomain.com mod is Mike can sometimes take a long time in shipping your board.

Both are good, but I think the Longhorn one gives a better depth of colour.

8bitdomain pros - no solder cons- need to buy/make an adapter to use s-video on a TV, not sure when you will receive it, limited fitting instructions

Longhorn Pros - quick delivery, correct s-video connector, well detailed and easy to follow instructions. Cons - 10 wires to solder, but this is real easy and I think that if you can get the blasted RF shield off then the soldering is a walk in the park.

My problem with the 8 Bit Domain mod is that it's tough to fit the GTIA chip into the slot built into the video board. There's no margin of error at all, so if the pins on the chip are bent, even a little bit, it simply won't fit into the board. I must have struggled for twenty minutes before I was able to get the chip on that board. No fun at all!

As for the RF shield, what's so hard about that? You just twist off the notches holding the shield to the board, then discard the shield. I don't even bother putting it back on my 5200... I mean, it's not like the FCC is going to use a battering ram to break into my apartment and cart me off to jail for RF interference.

I tried that, and it didn't help. I actually had to bend the pins slightly inward before I could get them into those tiny holes. If the designers had used a more standard chip socket, I'm sure they could have prevented a lot of needless frustration.

If he had used a standard wiper type DIP socket the chip wouldn't have fit in the underside space.

woohoo, just tested it out and it works great. Some of the stuff blended together in countermeasure and now I can actually see the stuff with this mod..........plus a crystal clear picture.

The main reason I wanted to do this was so I didn't have the RF thing to the tv because it causes interference with some of the channels regardless of whether the 5200 is on all the time. I had the same problem with my 7800 before I had OSG do that mod for me.

:thumbsup: congratulations, is this the first mod you have done?

Be careful it gets addictive :D

and to put a Pokey in my CC2 someday. :D

No soldering needed there. Just pop the cart open, line up the pins and push in the Pokey, and then close the cart and your done.

Allan

• 5 years later...

Longhorn Engineer, takes forever. Around a year and don't get the board assembled. My roommate got a assembled 7800 board that was wired wrong and it fried the main board.