IGNORED

5200 plug and play video mod

mreddr

Ok I've doen some testing with the mod and found a few things out.

First of all, I used The Last Starfighter for testing since I'm pretty familiar with the game. I put my 5200 proto in the 5200 and on another TV in the same room I plugged in my 400/800 proto into my 800XL with a composite video cable. This way I could view the game on a tv where I know it looked right while fiddling with the 5200.

After toying with the tint pot for a bit, I got the blues of the mountains close, but they're still a little off. However the gray on the launch pad was way WAY too dark. It was almost black! You could bearly read the "Difficulty" text at the bottom of the screen.

While looking over the board I noticed that one of the pins had broken off! With the board facing downward (plugged in), it would be the last pin to the right in the top row. I don't know what this pin does, but I wonder if this could be my problem. If that's not it, I'm at my wits end.

Incidentally I noticed two differences in the prototypes. The 5200 version doesn't have the Atari copyright at the bottom of the screen (I guess the splash screen copyright message was enough), and the mountains in the background are different. I'll have to play around a bit to see what else might be different (I has assumed they were the same!).

Tempest

Ok I've doen some testing with the mod and found a few things out.

First of all, I used The Last Starfighter for testing since I'm pretty familiar with the game.  I put my 5200 proto in the 5200 and on another TV in the same room I plugged in my 400/800 proto into my 800XL with a composite video cable.  This way I could view the game on a tv where I know it looked right while fiddling with the 5200.

After toying with the tint pot for a bit, I got the blues of the mountains close, but they're still a little off.  However the gray on the launch pad was way WAY too dark.  It was almost black!  You could bearly read the "Difficulty" text at the bottom of the screen.

While looking over the board I noticed that one of the pins had broken off!  With the board facing downward (plugged in), it would be the last pin to the right in the top row.  I don't know what this pin does, but I wonder if this could be my problem.  If that's not it, I'm at my wits end.

Incidentally I noticed two differences in the prototypes.  The 5200 version doesn't have the Atari copyright at the bottom of the screen (I guess the splash screen copyright message was enough), and the mountains in the background are different.  I'll have to play around a bit to see what else might be different (I has assumed they were the same!).

Tempest

A broken pin would definately be your problem. I'm not sure what the pin does, but its probably needed. If I could find a pinout for the TIA I could give you a little more info. I'd email Mike and see if he can help you in any way.

I had a pin that was not even inserted when I cracked mine open! I did straighten it out and plugged all 40 pins into the mod board. And mine is working fine. But it is very likely that your problem is due to the broken pin.

I don't think my color is right anymore... silly me playing with the tint/saturation or whatever it's called. :P I'm red/green color blind so orange clouds are suppose to pass by while playing Pole Position RIGHT? ;)

But it is very bright, and very crisp, I'm happy!

I picked up the audio splitter tonight. Playing the 5200, on my WEGA with composite is freakin awesome. I now would svideo to rca cable.. All the sites I find on the net that carry this item look kinda crappy and I don't really want to give them my cc#. Anybody know of a good reliable/reputable place I can get this from without much worry? Does ratshack carry these (I looked but didn't see it in their catalog).

If you are looking for the RCA to S-Video (SVHS) I can get you those. A local electonics store has them for $8 ea. I could get you one plus shipping and such. Probably looking at $10-$12 or so total. I'm always up for trades :)

Email me if interested.

BTW: Tempest, I noticed that on 2 of my 3 5200s one of the pins was also bent. I did straighten it out upon installing. I figured tha ti is an acceptable manufacturing defect at teh time.

-Lee

• 2 months later...

Bringing a thread back from the dead....

I'm of slightly below moderate skill when it comes to doing mods from scratch. Usually, with pre-fab mods like the 8-bit domain 5200 AV mod I have no trouble. So I feel like a complete dunce tonight.

I just finished installing the mod to my 5200. It seemed pretty straightforward, so I ignored my better judgement and reassembled the RF shield and case before testing it out. That was STOOPID. :sad:

I hooked the video out up to my AV Input selector. Once I found my old mini-to-stereo RCA cable (from an ancient discman), I was disappointed to find the mini plug was broken. So I plugged in a cheapo set of headphones to the audio jack.

I then plugged the AC Adapter into the RF box, and the RF cable from the console to the RF box.

Finally, with Pac Man in the cartridge slot, I plugged the AC into the wall, and powered up the 5200. There was no sound, and just a black picture on the screen. Well, maybe the 5200 was input 2, not 4 - switched to 2, same thing.

Then I began to smell burning electronics and plastic. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Panicky, I yanked the power cable out of the power strip immediately.

Now, a few months ago I tried to do my own AV mod on this unit, using the 5200 FAQ. It resulted in a clear B&W image. Tonight I removed my connections from that attempt first, by simply heating up the soldered connections from before and removing them. I'm pretty sure I did that removal cleanly and all of the original connections were still present, but I'll have to open the unit up and see whaere I screwed up.

I really, really hope I didn't trash the mod. I want the 5200 to be OK too, but I'd rather it fry than the mod board.

What a crummy result. I'm not opening that sucker up tonight. Hopefully tomorrow night.

damn.

Well, here's the scoop:

Tonight I tested with a different switchbox, cart, and AC Adapter (I was grasping, I know). Same result.

I opened the unit up, and can't see any visible damage. So I tried again, with the cover off.

After I left the machine on for a few seconds, I noticed that I could not power it off using the power switch. I pulled the plug out.

I removed the mod, put the original chip back in it's socket, and still got nothing but a black screen, and the smell of burning electronics. It may have been my imagination, but I think I also began to hear crackling sounds. I pulled the plug again.

This is very disappointing. Fall 2002 I spent about 3 months bringing this formerly dead 5200 back to perfect operating condition after a previous owner had fried it with an Atari 800 Power Supply. I had a lot of emotional investment in this console. It was my pride and joy, and I've killed it.

The only thing I have to go on is this:

In the pictures on the docs disk, the chip to remove and plug into the mod board has a rectangular indentation on one end, and a circular indentation at the other end.

The socket you insert the mod into on the motherboard is located nearest the power switch, by the vertical red adjustment tower/screw thing.

On MY 5200, the chip with the unusual indentations is above, near the cart slot and the RF circuitry and heatsink.

The chip by the power switch looks like the other two similar chips.

The mod board bumped up against the cartridge slot if I put it in the upper socket, so I put it in the socket nearer the power switch, and put that chip in the mod board.

Any of you have any idea what I've done wrong? How to fix it?

Thanks,

Steve

The mod board bumped up against the cartridge slot if I put it in the upper socket, so I put it in the socket nearer the power switch, and put that chip in the mod board.

Any of you have any idea what I've done wrong? How to fix it?

Thanks,

Steve

Uhm, doesn't it go in the lower socket, not the one close to the cart-slot? :ponder:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44582

I personally haven't looked at the instructions yet but it would suck if the location is properly described. Sorry man. :(

On MY 5200, the chip with the unusual indentations is above, near the cart slot and the RF circuitry and heatsink.

Thanks,

Steve

Just make sure that the chip you pulled from the motherboard and installed into the video mod says C014805 on it, that is the GTIA chip and the one you needed to work with. Based on what you described (choosing the chip based on the way it looks) I think you might have inadvertantly used the wrong chip! :skull:

Now, a few months ago I tried to do my own AV mod on this unit, using the 5200 FAQ. It resulted in a clear B&W image. Tonight I removed my connections from that attempt first, by simply heating up the soldered connections from before and removing them. I'm pretty sure I did that removal cleanly and all of the original connections were still present, but I'll have to open the unit up and see whaere I screwed up.

After you removed this, did you get to test and verify that the 5200 was back to normal working condition BEFORE you did the new mod first?

:)

WooHoo! I fixed it!

As I mentioned above, I initially had a small bit of confusion over which chip to swap with the mod-circuit. Before I figured it out, I removed the wrong chip, but when I saw that the mod circuit shouldn't go there, I reinserted it before ever applying power to the system. As I'm sure you've all guessed, I reinserted it backwards.

Luckily, there seems to be no damage to my system. I just put things back into place correctly, and played a quick (& bad) game of Pac Man, as it was the most disposable game I've got in case something was going to fry the game cartridge. And I like Pac Man, so it wasn't really a hardship anyway.

After proving things worked properly I then installed the mod board and tried again. Things still worked perfectly, only this time with a clearer picture!

I'm now going to reassemble the RF shield, case, etc... and hook the system up to my AV Selector in the Den.

Ron, I WANT ADVENTURE II !!!!!!

-- Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the comments. I think I will buy one and try it. Once installed can you uninstall it?

Has anyone made a mod to avoid the switchbox? With the composite plugs what does the switchbox do for the 4 joystick 5200? Anyway, I also have to get an adapter for my television. Most of my tvs are from about 1990 and are cable ready but do not have composite plugs. My one tv that does have the plugs is a 1991 stereo console tv in my family room, and my wife wont let me keep it, the atari not the console tv, out in the open. Who ever thought a console tv would still be "modern".[/b]

Thanks for the comments.  I think I will buy one and try it.  Once installed can you uninstall it?

Has anyone made a mod to avoid the switchbox?  With the composite plugs what does the switchbox do for the 4 joystick 5200?  Anyway, I also have to get an adapter for my television.  Most of my tvs are from about 1990 and are cable ready but do not have composite plugs.  My one tv that does have the plugs is a 1991 stereo console tv in my family room, and my wife wont let me keep it, the atari not the console tv, out in the open.  Who ever thought a console tv would still be "modern".[/b]

Yes it is removable.

You still need the switchbox to power the system on the 4 port. Unless you do a mod to make it like a 2 port, with a seperate power input.

I believe the RF hookup still works with this mod installed.

• 1 month later...