IGNORED

5200 plug and play video mod

mreddr

• 2 years later...
Hey I am about to order one of these!! How do I do the S-Video port on this? What wires would I connect? I am thinking of doing S-Video, Composite and Audio on mine.

That is how I configured mine. These directions may sound complicated, but it really is simple.

The kit ships wired as:

Blue wire for chroma (output via RCA jack)

Purple wire for luma (output via RCA jack)

Red and White wires for left and right audio (output via 1/4" jack)

If you were to built it as it ships, it would look like this:

stan_out.jpg

Instead (if you are like me) you want to get the chroma and luma output via S-Video connector, and the audio output via RCA jacks.

- Since the blue and purple wires already have RCA jacks on the end of them, reposition them so that they become the wires used for audio output.

- Cut off the 1/4" jack from the ends of the red and white wires and reposition them so that they become the wires used for chroma and luma.

In summary, you are swapping the roles of Blue&Purple for those of Red&White.

To repositions the wires, you will need to carefully open the white plastic 7-pin connection plug. I don't remember exactly how to open it, but go slow and you should be able to figure it out.

Here is the plug with standard wiring (ignore the color of the top wire, it should be green):

stan_plug.jpg

Here it is after you swapped the pairs of wires (I seem to have also swapped the order of red and white):

mod_plug.jpg

Now hook up the red and white wires to an S-video connector along with ground connections. For ground, you can daisy chain off the black wires already attached to the RCA connections. Here are the pins (looking at the socket):

130px-MiniDIN-4_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

1 Ground

2 Ground

3 Luma (connects to the second from the bottom on the 7-pin white plug)

4 Chroma (connects to the bottom place on the 7-pin white plug)

You can see the inside of my 5200 with the final result here. In that pic, from left to right, the output connections are:

Purple wire with audio via RCA jack

Blue wire with audio via RCA jack

Yellow wire with composite video via RCA jack

Red and white with luma and chroma via S-video connection

Edited by nems

Remo, did you make that or did you buy it somewhere?

Made it myself. It's half an extension cable (the RCA end) and a nice solder type metal s-video plug. Made a couple of them actually, very handy for the C1084S monitors and the 7800 8bitdomain video mod also has a similar RCA output on it's cable out :)

Let me preface this by declaring complete noobness on electrical/AV mods...but where do you wire the two ground wires to in the S-Video cable when making the S-Video->RCA mod? Do you just leave them unwired? I mean, the chroma and luna have their places in an S-Video plug, and, according to nems 2 of the 4 pins in an S-Video plug are just grounds. Does it matter that the gounds are not connected to anything?

How do you do the mod? I would like to make one. Looks like you can get the parts at Radio Shack?

Yeah, you can get the adapter parts at RS, but they are more expensive than a real electronics place. s-video plug / any cable that has two female RCA jacks like this one will work, or you can solder a set of RCA jacks yourself if you have the right wire. Note that the s-video plug is a solder type plug.

As for making the cable look at the s-video pin configuration here

The center (signal) wire of one RCA jack goes to pin 3 and the outer (shield/ground) wire goes to pin 2.

Same deal for the other RCA jack - center wire to pin 4 and outer wire to pin 1.

Let me preface this by declaring complete noobness on electrical/AV mods...but where do you wire the two ground wires to in the S-Video cable when making the S-Video->RCA mod? Do you just leave them unwired? I mean, the chroma and luna have their places in an S-Video plug, and, according to nems 2 of the 4 pins in an S-Video plug are just grounds. Does it matter that the gounds are not connected to anything?

They're probably both tied to a common ground and the system will never notice.

Oughta wire 'em anyways, and probably independently. Hook them to the RCA shells/cable shield.

• 3 months later...

First time post,

I want to think every one who has post on this topic. I just finished installing the 5200 video mod board from 8 Bit Domain. I got a green screen the first time. So I went back through some of the post and tried again and it was beautiful! It seems like a night and day difference to the RF connection. I want to give a special thanks to "nems" for a couple of his post/photos.

This was my original 5200 from "82" (new board in 2005).

Thanks again.

geotrick

First time post,

I want to think every one who has post on this topic. I just finished installing the 5200 video mod board from 8 Bit Domain. I got a green screen the first time. So I went back through some of the post and tried again and it was beautiful! It seems like a night and day difference to the RF connection. I want to give a special thanks to "nems" for a couple of his post/photos.

This was my original 5200 from "82" (new board in 2005).

Thanks again.

geotrick

Welcome to Atariage. Nice to see another 5200 fan.

Allan

• 3 months later...

Anyone got good pictures on how to take off the rf shield? I'm a bit leery of breaking stuff. I don't know if I need to get the twisty thingies straighter still or what. It's a real pain in the butt since the back of the board isn't locked down to anything. I'm afraid I'm going to screw up the controller ports.

get the twist thingies as straight as you can, make sure you have got them all!

when I did mine, the shield was still hard to get off, so I used a small screwdriver to lever it up a bit to break the seal, presto it came off (and went back on perfectly!)

good luck

• 5 months later...

I finally got around to messing with this again. I've got the RF shield off and have located the GTIA but what do I need to do next? I haven't been able to find any pictures of what to do exactly. I see the mod board is now in place over the GTIA in the pictures but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do to do this.

Carefully prise the GTIA chip from its socket, then install it in the mod board, make sure you put it in the right way round (there are markings on the chip and the board) also make sure you get all the pins seated correctly.

Plug the mod board into the now empty GTIA socket on the 5200.

A small, pencil-sized flathead screwdriver should do the trick. Computer catalogs used to give these away with an order.

Annnnyway, you just stick the end of the screwdriver under the chip and lift gently until the chip is loosened on one side. Then you loosen the other side, and continue alternating between the two sides until the chip can be lifted out with your bare hands.

I love threads like this....filled with tons of information going WAY, WAY back, and that's why it just doesn't die!

Anyway, my question is: is this pretty much the de facto A/V mod for the 5200? At least as far as a mod that the average, non-elctrically engineering inclined person can perform? Otherwise, are there other such mods out there?