IGNORED

1 game worked out of 20...

In all my testing, I’ve had 3 carts total that wouldn’t play anywhere (original HW or the plus) no matter how much I cleaned them.
Some of them have what looks like a ceramic capacitor on the pcb which I assume might be where the problem lies, but I never took the time to verify.

IMG_4061.thumb.jpeg.292f7b5eacee9c742b44aaf10db78b5f.jpeg

Two were Atari (Maze Craze, and Backgammon), one was Coleco (Donkey Kong - pictured). 

All three are common enough and weren’t of any sentimental value to me so I just replaced them. 

Edited by MikeM_

I have to say I've had really good luck with my Plus.  Even before the update, I only had a handful of carts (out of 100 or so) that gave me any grief.'

With cleaning and a firmware update, the only cart that gives me a problem now is Tac-Scan: it runs, but doesn't recognize paddles. 

I understand that the 'experimental' update fixes this but I haven't tried it yet; I figured I might as well wait for the next update.

I got a feeling that many who are new to collecting Atari 2600 carts (because of the 2600+) are going to have the same issue as the OP. Many of these new collectors don't know or don't want to clean carts. I'm guessing because they are nervous that they might break/ruin something. I really think a cartridge cleaning kit might be a very good idea. I know most seasoned collectors see cleaning kits as unnecessary (I know I do, since I know how to clean carts), but for new users/collectors it might make them feel a little better about those old carts. Just a thought.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pboland said:

I got a feeling that many who are new to collecting Atari 2600 carts (because of the 2600+) are going to have the same issue as the OP. Many of these new collectors don't know or don't want to clean carts. I'm guessing because they are nervous that they might break/ruin something. I really think a cartridge cleaning kit might be a very good idea. I know most seasoned collectors see cleaning kits as unnecessary (I know I do, since I know how to clean carts), but for new users/collectors it might make them feel a little better about those old carts. Just a thought.

And perhaps a guide to cleaning carts in the box with the console.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pboland said:

Atari branded cleaning kit sounds like a good idea - Nintendo sold a cleaning kit for the Wii in Japan (still have mine and have only used it a couple of times), so there’s precedent!

• Like 1

Regarding a cleaner or cleaning, perhaps a partnership with 1UPcard, considering what is already available for the Atari 2600 console and cartridges.

A 7800 console cleaner adding the additional pins found on it and under the 2600+ respectively would be nice to see come to fruition. 

Personally though, I'm more of a Isopropyl Alcohol and cotton swab guy.

• Like 1

So, sorry for not updating for a while. It's been a long hard week and I'd not had chance to get anywhere near the carts or machine until today.

I had been running the experimental fireware but went back to the beta 1.1
I gave all the carts an initial once over with some iso and tried everything again.

And...

And...

Much better results! Everything pictured is now working without any issues!
Even Robot Tank is sweet. 
There are 6 titles that still refuse to load, but I'll go over them again a few more times with cleaner next opportunity. (Chess, Springer, Venture, Smurf, Outlaw and Chopper Command)

Working 01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, piggies_pinion said:

So, sorry for not updating for a while. It's been a long hard week and I'd not had chance to get anywhere near the carts or machine until today.

I gave all the carts an initial once over with some iso and tried everything again.

And...

And...

There are 6 titles that still refuse to load, but I'll go over them again a few more times with cleaner next opportunity. (Chess, Springer, Venture, Smurf, Outlaw and Chopper Command)

Working 01.jpg

The redemption arc of modern social media in action! Come on let's get them last six working.

Although Smurfs might need to wait for updated dumper, lol!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, piggies_pinion said:

And...

And...

Working 01.jpg

I have carts working on 2600+ of Chess, Venture, Smurf, Outlaw and Chopper Command.

I don't have Springer

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

Atari branded cleaning kit sounds like a good idea - Nintendo sold a cleaning kit for the Wii in Japan (still have mine and have only used it a couple of times), so there’s precedent!

Nintendo sold cleaning kits for the NES as well back in the day. Still have one. 👍🏼 

IMG_4063.thumb.jpeg.9d090f0df34cfb6fb63faac3946eb0a5.jpeg

(Not my pic)

Edited by MikeM_
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I kept saying to myself these carts may have not had electrical current flow through them for decades, may sound silly but I it felt good to give them life!

I've got to believe the negotiations with Universal Studios would be a non-starter, but this made me think of an awesome 2600+ promotional scene...
Mad scientist Colin Clive in his lab holding handfuls of 2600 cartridges by a 2600+ shouting (with all his nervous energy) "It's Alive! It's Alive...."

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Nintendo sold cleaning kits for the NES as well back in the day. Still have one. 👍🏼 

IMG_4063.thumb.jpeg.9d090f0df34cfb6fb63faac3946eb0a5.jpeg

(Not my pic)

At least some of the suggestions made in these forums for things that Atari should make available, we've been told that the costs would likely be too high for too few sales. I'd think a cleaning kit would be another story. Cheap to produce, so likely profit even with (comparatively) limited sales. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

At least some of the suggestions made in these forums for things that Atari should make available, we've been told that the costs would likely be too high for too few sales. I'd think a cleaning kit would be another story. Cheap to produce, so likely profit even with (comparatively) limited sales. Am I wrong?

Well, 1upcard already makes a 2600 cleaning kit that is pretty close to that old NES kit. There may not be a need for an official one. 

https://www.1upcard.com/collections/1upcard-bundles/products/atari-2600-expert-cleaning-kit?variant=40467841318978

1 hour ago, MikeM_ said:

Well, 1upcard already makes a 2600 cleaning kit that is pretty close to that old NES kit. There may not be a need for an official one. 

https://www.1upcard.com/collections/1upcard-bundles/products/atari-2600-expert-cleaning-kit?variant=40467841318978

I suppose that depends on how much Atari expects their only audience would be folks already aware of that one. I'm assuming that most 2600+ users 1) won't know about that, and 2) would support an official Atari offering.

Edited by NicodemusLegend
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NicodemusLegend said:

I suppose that depends on how much Atari expects their only audience would be folks already aware of that one. I'm assuming that most 2600+ users 1) won't know about that, and 2) would support an official Atari offering.

I sure wasn’t aware, but they could cross-promote and probably should at a minimum to cater to reborn 2600 collectors!

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

I sure wasn’t aware, but they could cross-promote and probably should at a minimum to cater to reborn 2600 collectors!

Atari could always setup with them an official partner status. Sell 1upcard’s Atari kits directly from Atari’s site.

Would be mutually beneficial I would think. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 7:27 PM, pboland said:

Well, I was not new to collecting carts but new to always clean them, when the 2600+ came up.

On my old consoles the carts just worked and I cleaned them when they failed, which did not happen often.

Since I play on the 2600+, I clean any cart before I use it, as on my first day I put in 10 working carts and 6 needed a cleaning😅

Paradigm shift😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Machine X

@Ben from Plaion Machine X?  Is that the advanced 2600+ with 6 switches... and built-in Wi-Fi with the ability to upload your high scores to a central server (where you can go to an atari.com web page to see the leaderboards and participate in weekly high score challenges) and also do easy firmware updates... and wireless joysticks... and a few extra buttons on the back to easily access the menu where you can select things like scan-lines and other customizable options?  The Machine X that maintains all the charm of the original 2600 but adds all this modern functionality that we love and creates an online community where people can choose to share their collections, gameplay history, and high scores?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chad5200 said:

@Ben from Plaion Machine X?  Is that the advanced 2600+ with 6 switches... and built-in Wi-Fi with the ability to upload your high scores to a central server (where you can go to an atari.com web page to see the leaderboards and participate in weekly high score challenges) and also do easy firmware updates... and wireless joysticks... and a few extra buttons on the back to easily access the menu where you can select things like scan-lines and other customizable options?  The Machine X that maintains all the charm of the original 2600 but adds all this modern functionality that we love and creates an online community where people can choose to share their collections, gameplay history, and high scores?

Sounds great, but of a lot of work and cost associated.

On 3/18/2024 at 3:03 PM, piggies_pinion said:

And...

And...

Working 01.jpg

Reminds me that my childhood Chopper Command took quite the effort to make work.  I eventually got it (and many others that have been stubborn) with DeoxIT.  A little bit goes a long way.

I've long wondered why some company in the retro games scene hasn't tried following in the footsteps of the vinyl record audiophile community and released some kind of cart cleaner machine. I'm thinking some kind of ultrasonic bath like object where you plug the cart in and all the activity is contained within the space where the cart plugs in, plug in a cart, hit a button, wait 15-20 seconds, take out the cart, put in the next, repeat til it's done. Seems like it would save time and hassle if it worked well enough. 

• Like 1