IGNORED

What do you think of the Atari 2600+ at the moment...

shane857

On 5/16/2024 at 4:52 AM, CPUWIZ said:

I wouldn't do that, the 7800 is capable of more than the 2600+ will ever deliver, I highly doubt my devcart works for instance.  I have a couple shelved projects, the 2600 won't be able to handle, EVER.

The Power of the 7800!

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

I can understand both sides: This console is beautifully designed and nice to use. But the lack of an official firmware update for pal games and for the paddle issues after so many months is not the best experience ever. It's the experimental firmware that made my day. What I really really miss is some effort on reissuing some of the great 2600 games like Pitfall, Hero, Enduro, Phoenix etc. or another dip switch cartridge with 10 games (and printed manuals). And if they concentrate on 7800 games please give us Pole Position, Donkey Kong, Joust or Ms. Pac-Man. I guess there are a lot of licensing challenges but where there's a will...

A lot of people don't seem to understand, that you can't just release stuff like Pitfall (heavily protected by Activision) without licensing fees that are not worth it.

Unless Activision decides to piss away money on Atari carts, it is not going to happen.  From what I know of the inside of the current incarnation of Activision is that 99% of the staff didn't know the original logo had a rainbow attached.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Dang it.. I just ordered the new paddles.  Are the paddle themselves not good or something doesn't work right with the 2600+

I won't get into my thoughts on the 2600+ but I was hoping the paddles would work as well as the OG ones on real 2600/7800.  

I don't know what's going on technically, but I do know that, and I think I saw a youtube showing that the paddle resolution on certain games - not all - breakout is okay while super breakout isn't, I believe, although I have not tested paddle games in a while because, honestly, i'm mostly a demon attack and pac man kinda guy - I don't think the experimental builds made any progress in that regard. 

So not a hardware issue as it's present even on third party paddle controllers which is what I've used. Who knows, maybe once the firmware update is actually out of beta (???) at some point this year we'll get an update that addresses it

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

The 2600+ is pretty sweet. The physical unit looks amazing, the new CX-40 sticks are nice (unlike the version made for the 400 Mini), and it's about as basic as an original 2600 (plug in cart, power on, play; no menus or heads up displays). My main issue right now is the inconsistency of the cart slot, but many of my problems have been resolved by cleaning the carts themselves.

20 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Dang it.. I just ordered the new paddles.  Are the paddle themselves not good or something doesn't work right with the 2600+

I won't get into my thoughts on the 2600+ but I was hoping the paddles would work as well as the OG ones on real 2600/7800.  

The new paddles are excellent. They are smooth, consistent, and have very little amounts of jitter. You will like them.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 5:08 PM, CPUWIZ said:

A lot of people don't seem to understand, that you can't just release stuff like Pitfall (heavily protected by Activision) without licensing fees that are not worth it.

Unless Activision decides to piss away money on Atari carts, it is not going to happen.  From what I know of the inside of the current incarnation of Activision is that 99% of the staff didn't know the original logo had a rainbow attached.

Wow, words from a global moderator that don't sound very moderate. I was just expressing my hopes or dreams. I don't know so much about today's Activision. But "heavily protected" cannot be true. The Flashback consoles for example have Pitfall and a lot of other Activision games officially preinstalled. So someone from Atgames must have knocked on Activision's door. And someone must have opened. Surely, these are peanuts for Activision. But obviously they take and eat these peanuts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

Wow, words from a global moderator that don't sound very moderate. I was just expressing my hopes or dreams. I don't know so much about today's Activision. But "heavily protected" cannot be true. The Flashback consoles for example have Pitfall and a lot of other Activision games officially preinstalled. So someone from Atgames must have knocked on Activision's door. And someone must have opened. Surely, these are peanuts for Activision. But obviously they take and eat these peanuts.

My thoughts exactly! Start pumping out some games. Weather it be Homebrew, Activison, M-Network or whatever.

I like ordering homebrew but it takes so long to receive it sometimes. And I understand why the quality is absolutely done right!

But for me I won’t place another order till I receive one. In between I’m purchasing old used cartridges which I would prefer to be using that money on purchasing brand new ones from Atari and AtariAge but the Atari website only has 5 games the others are always say SOLD OUT!  And could be offered in a standard version.

(Edit)

Looking back at the Atari website just now I just spotted the 3  Schematic Tees! The Console, Cartridge, and Joystick. Now those are nice!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

Klar, beschwere Dich doch, mir Egal.

Spoiler

Glaube Einfach was Du willst, machen doch sowieso die meisten Leute Heutzutage.  Realitaet gibt das nur noch ganz Wenig, speziell mit jungen Leuten (Habe Ich am Internet gelesen, Natuerlich habe Ich Recht!).  Und Ja, die haben wohl fuer Pitfall bezahlt, weil die mit den Maschinen doch noch ein bisschen Kohle machen koennen

My hopes and dreams do not involve old video game properties that you can already play in many flavors. :P 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Klar, beschwere Dich doch, mir Egal.

No ones complaining. Just different opinions. I’m looking for new old games CIB to go with my Atari 2600+.

If anyone can do that it would be ATARI! I just hope it’s sooner than later so this train doesn’t run out of steam.

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI TODAY!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

No ones complaining. Just different opinions. I’m looking for new old games CIB to go with my Atari 2600+.

I have a bunch of NOS Atari 7800 games that I have no use for anymore, ever since I designed PCB's of many flavors. :ponder:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I mean, c’mon people. CPUWIZ is correct. If you’re waiting on Atari to release re-issues of games they don’t own the rights to, you’re probably going to be waiting forever. 

And if you’re expecting Activision to dip their toes into the re-issued 2600 cart market, you’re going to be waiting even longer. 

Atari will release some games they own the rights to, and that’s it. They might ask some of those other publishers for permisssion, but they will likely be either turned down outright, or have a price thrown at them that isn’t worth the effort. 

Not to mention, even if they were able to convince a powerhouse gaming company like Activision for the rights to re-release Pitfall or River Raid, etc. - they wouldn’t come in the original Activision cart shells. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I mean, c’mon people. CPUWIZ is correct. If you’re waiting on Atari to release re-issues of games they don’t own the rights to, you’re probably going to be waiting forever. 

And if you’re expecting Activision to dip their toes into the re-issued 2600 cart market, you’re going to be waiting even longer. 

Atari will release some games they own the rights to, and that’s it. They might ask some of those other publishers for permisssion, but they will likely be either turned down outright, or have a price thrown at them that isn’t worth the effort. 

Not to mention, even if they were able to convince a powerhouse gaming company like Activision for the rights to re-release Pitfall or River Raid, etc. - they wouldn’t come in the original Activision cart shells. 

True but we’re not talking about Call of Duty Activision we’re talking old 8 bit games. And if not Activision. What about M-Network. Didn’t Atari acquire the rights? And others? It doesn’t really matter to me I’ll just keep collecting old used games. A thread was started for a reason on what we would like to see released.  Not everyone knows what ATARI owns or has the rights to.
I’d rather put my money into ATRAI so they keep growing! Then one day they can acquire ACTIVIVISON and all the other third party companies that made games for ATARI! 

👀👀👀 Oh I must have dreaming again! Lol

Edited by MrChickenz

Just now, MrChickenz said:

True but we’re not talking about Call of Duty Activision we’re talking old 8 bit games. And if not Activision.What about M-Network. Didn’t Atari acquire the rights? And others?

I think the M-Network games belong to some very peculiar Intellivision guys, the name escapes me right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I think the M-Network games belong to some very peculiar Intellivision guys, the name escapes me right now.

Ok, I thought I saw some where Atari acquired M-Network. Maybe I misunderstood. I know they acquired other companies but I’m not sure what games they have the rights to.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Ok, I thought I saw some where Atari acquired M-Network. Maybe I misunderstood. I know they acquired other companies but I’m not sure what games they have the rights to.

Atari acquired Stern, who made Berzerk and Frenzy.

M-Network is Mattel. One of the biggest toy companies in the world. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Thanks 1

i think aside from a few things it's probably been the best official emulator console, (cough cough AtGames) but hell even if i dogpile on them their Atari Flashback consoles are the reason i had nostalgia for the 2600 when i was probably too young to, honestly care.

But i did and obviously that meant exploring more of the library was mainly emulation based anyways, and for ever wanting to collect for it i'd have to scrounge around and head to retro gameshops miles and miles apart from eachother or go on ebay in hopes of finding something for under 30$ total and hoping to snag at least 1 game under 5$, and then either get an unofficial emulator box, go to my grandfathers house everytime i wanted to play 2600 games outside of my PC or buy a 2600 or 7800 (but oh remember some 2600 games aren't compatible with the latter and the former obviously cant play the 7800 games) and likely buy an untested one, then all the hookups, possibly also an adapter for modern RF inputs on TVs and then hope it all works just for like, a few minutes of 2600 Donkey Kong or Froggo Karate or Air Raiders. Not ideal.

But the 2600+ offers a middle-ground, official emulation + new titles + reprints of old titles + OEM compatible controllers and while the price i think is a bit too high (i got mine used for way cheaper), i still think its amazing. And tbh i never got a lot of the criticism about it outside of maybe the price or something like "oh its only compatible with 99% of NTSC games" (If you're in a dominant PAL region i VERY MUCH understand this, but i'm talking about those in places like the USA complaining about it) Oh jeez ONLY 99% of the games that you own? Devastating, Plus if it was FPGA or something like that it probably would be much more expensive, be harder to purchase in general as its STILL not going to be 100% same deal because its STILL emulation and at that point where it would be like $300+ it would need at least an additional 5200 and maybe Lynx core to justify shelling that much. Software emulation is fine for this, especially since it uses open source software like Stella for 2600, which is very versatile and i would be shocked if it couldn't work with basically all official NTSC 2600+7800 releases with the first public updates.

Again i do wanna say i feel for the PAL users though, hopefully those are also given attention as well. I mean if not then why release it in PAL regions? That would be CRUEL!

But again for me especially, i am finally able to justify collecting for the 2600 and 7800. I feel like even if my form of nostalgia is VERY different from most, i really see 2600 games especially as on a similar wavelength to many Flash Games/Media from the older days of the internet and from my childhood, they're timeless and i do hope that even if its small, i hope more youngs out there keep the scene alive in the future. Honestly weirdly i kinda wish if 2600+ consoles, accessories and games were sold in retail that they would be sold in Grocery and Dollar Stores like the old AtGames consoles. Not expecting too many parents to randomly surprise their child with a 2600+ anytime soon if that does happen, but moreso it would be nice for people who just have casual fond memories of the system can just, buy it in person while out getting some groceries or something, kinda funny but also kinda nice ya know?

But overall, although i cant get my system to update on my PC (i have linux and even with a VM i cant even get it to detect my system via USB) i hope once updates become public they not only silence some of the more unreasonable haters and provide a more robust experience, and hopefully provides enough demand for more repressings and games, i really enjoy my experience. Even with the Load times and the amount of times i had to fiddle around with a cue tip and IPA to get commando running on it, i see a bright future for it and a bleek future for my wallet :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

i'm talking about those in places like the USA complaining about it) Oh jeez ONLY 99% of the games that you own?

Lol! I don’t believe anyone in like the USA are complaining about 99% of games working. What some were complaining about was an official compatibility list on the official Atari website confirming games worked that actually didn’t. With the firmware update it’s now at 99%. Jeez!

Hopefully you get your system updated soon because this is a great system!

Edited by MrChickenz

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Atari acquired Stern, who made Berzerk and Frenzy.

M-Network is Mattel. One of the biggest toy companies in the world. 

https://atari.com/blogs/newsroom/atari-announces-acquisition-of-m-network-atari-2600-titles-and-related-trademarks

ACQUISITIONS 05.05.2023

ATARI ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF M NETWORK ATARI 2600 TITLES AND RELATED TRADEMARKS

I wasn’t shouting this at you I just copied and pasted the title. Lol

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Lol! I don’t believe anyone in like the USA are complaining about 99% of games working. What some were complaining about was an official compatibility list on the official Atari website confirming games worked that actually didn’t. With the firmware update it’s now at 99%. Jeez!

Hopefully you get your system updated soon because this is a great system!

fair nuff, but to me even like the base firmware when some were complaining was like "dude, really?" i hope if and when the update goes public and connecting the 2600+ to Linux is possible i will gladly do it for some realsports boxing!

but yeah dang really the website said something diff? huh, then again it took me awhile to get commando working on mine but yeah THAT sucks...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

That’s fine with me if they weren’t in the original shells. New CIB reissue. Modern games to go with my modern Atari 2600+. I would still buy!
I mean if Atari acquired other game companies, start selling some games to make profits. You can’t make money if you sit on it.

If not I’ll just keep throwing my money into old used copies on eBay and else where!

Like they say in the Grocery business I can buy my peas and carrots elsewhere!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 9:03 PM, MrChickenz said:

https://atari.com/blogs/newsroom/atari-announces-acquisition-of-m-network-atari-2600-titles-and-related-trademarks

ACQUISITIONS 05.05.2023

ATARI ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF M NETWORK ATARI 2600 TITLES AND RELATED TRADEMARKS

I wasn’t shouting this at you I just copied and pasted the title. Lol

This was a great day for both of us, Air Raiders and Dark Cavern became Atari IP. :)

AR2 and DC2? Both on the 7800?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

This was a great day for both of us, Air Raiders and Dark Cavern became Atari IP. :)

AR2 and DC2? Both on the 7800?

Imagine normal cart re-releases, with groovy new labels. I’d buy ‘em 😁

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Thanks 1