IGNORED

What do you think of the Atari 2600+ at the moment...

shane857

4 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

Well, I am with you here. Between family, house chores, work I have no time to spend hours with PS or XBOX, but 20-30 minutes shooting some aliens or playing Ms. Pac-Man is just the amount of fun I need. 
If we could save high scores it would be awesome. 

Yes I was struck with the thought that maybe this was the same back in the day. Come back from school, get a quick blast....while having to share with siblings and friends, then dinner is ready, then "go outside", then back in for a blast, but then mum and dad wanted the TV, as only one TV in the house, so upstairs for whatever then bed.

I guess as games got more complex and needed more time to play we just went with it because the technology was evolving at a such a fast pace and those generational advancements were just mind blowing we made more time for them.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, shane857 said:

The wireless gamepads looks great. For me thou personally, I need to be close to my Atari for difficulty switches and games that use the Colour/BW switch. You should always be close to your Atari..😂

You know, I sit two or three steps away with my console and a  65 inch TV, its not the biggest inconvenience to have to press the game reset lever. I take it as punishment for not being good enough at whatever game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Ben from Plaion said:

You know, I sit two or three steps away with my console and a  65 inch TV, its not the biggest inconvenience to have to press the game reset lever. I take it as punishment for not being good enough at whatever game!

Get good, Ben.

What am I saying, I suck at most games, but I still have fun.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

One of my faves, its funny, I have played hundreds of Atari games and that one I automatically find to do tests, and usually its not a quick boot and see if it works. I play it cause its a very enjoyable game - the moment you get two ships really changes things up for the better. I just wish all Atari games could permanently save high scores - that would really change things for me.

I remember reading about Stella having a high score save feature. I'll put it on my wishlist.

Pshhh!  Here in the 1980s, this is how we track high scores.

20240916_152937-Copy.thumb.jpg.9c37e5075d87156bef7c1d79efd3091a.jpg20240916_153054-Copy.thumb.jpg.7ef583b906d772e303a70ea5472e70ef.jpg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Pshhh!  Here in the 1980s, this is how we track high scores.

20240916_152937-Copy.thumb.jpg.9c37e5075d87156bef7c1d79efd3091a.jpg20240916_153054-Copy.thumb.jpg.7ef583b906d772e303a70ea5472e70ef.jpg

This is just the best. 

It's always bothered me high scores not saving, I had an idea of putting a branded pencil and little notepad in game packs to write high scores down,  but you know first round of 2600+ solus releases I didn't even get an instruction manual in!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Tonight I'm playing Centipede Deluxe with a wireless controller on my PC from the comfort of my sofa. Just testing out the CX78+ wireless USB dongle, plays great.

Whoa, what is Centipede Deluxe?  I don't see it in Trebors 7800 ROM pack.  Is it a super secret Atari development project?😃

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

One of my faves, its funny, I have played hundreds of Atari games and that one I automatically find to do tests, and usually its not a quick boot and see if it works. I play it cause its a very enjoyable game - the moment you get two ships really changes things up for the better. I just wish all Atari games could permanently save high scores - that would really change things for me.

I remember reading about Stella having a high score save feature. I'll put it on my wishlist.

The Atari 7800 high score cart already exists for the real 7800. You need to get it working for the 7800+.

Mitch

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes I was struck with the thought that maybe this was the same back in the day. Come back from school, get a quick blast....while having to share with siblings and friends, then dinner is ready, then "go outside", then back in for a blast, but then mum and dad wanted the TV, as only one TV in the house, so upstairs for whatever then bed.

I guess as games got more complex and needed more time to play we just went with it because the technology was evolving at a such a fast pace and those generational advancements were just mind blowing we made more time for them.

As a Gen X’r, this was life in a nutshell.   A blast of continual game platform changes… 2600, 5200, C64, 8088, 386, 486,  Pentium’s,  Dual Core, Many Cores, Terra flops…  Then, one-night last year in a do-or-don’t minute, the 2600+ was ordered and the circle was complete.  Then, a few game store findings for $2 to $5.   An unfished childhood was renewed in 20 minutes here and there.   A flood of reflexes for games often played and new challenges w/ games I could never afford.   This is maybe the most un-marketed aspect of the 2600+ and 7800+;  time to be a child a little bit over again in small bursts.    Now, where is my trackball? Nothing bets spinning that cue ball hard.  Oh centipede, you are crafty.

• Like 2

Well, I've gone and done it now. While my first 7800 game (Galaga) for my 2600+ shipped this morning, I just now ordered a second 7800 cart, though this one's not used. I'm very much looking forward to getting both of them. I've played this game on my Flashback 12 Gold, and it's a lot of fun, but having the physical cart and playing it on a 2600 like console will make it that much better.

That's one thing these younger generations will never know. The excitement of getting a new cart and hearing the unforgettable sounds of it being inserted into the console and flipping the switch.

FoodFight.jpg

Edited by Gabe
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I think the early development of games was quite exciting, there was a lot of experimentation and fresh ideas (some of course very stupid, but so what). I feel detached from the current games market, mainly because I am older (hehehe), but also because games are seen now as products to keep you engaged for a long time (with a few exceptions). It has become a money-making industry and there is not much of the original spirit left, like in the pop music industry today.  Enough with complaining. I got Commando cartridge in post today!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

I think the early development of games was quite exciting, there was a lot of experimentation and fresh ideas (some of course very stupid, but so what). I feel detached from the current games market, mainly because I am older (hehehe), but also because games are seen now as products to keep you engaged for a long time (with a few exceptions). It has become a money-making industry and there is not much of the original spirit left, like in the pop music industry today.  Enough with complaining. I got Commando cartridge in post today!

You might to want to have a look at the Playdate handheld from Panic: these are all short games and there are loads of fresh ideas on that device. Eventually I sold my Playdate again, as the form factor wasn't right for me.

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Well, I've gone and done it now. While my first 7800 game (Galaga) for my 2600+ shipped this morning, I just now ordered a second 7800 cart, though this one's not used. I'm very much looking forward to getting both of them. I've played this game on my Flashback 12 Gold, and it's a lot of fun, but having the physical cart and playing it on a 2600 like console will make it that much better.

That's one thing these younger generations will never know. The excitement of getting a new cart and hearing the unforgettable sounds of it being inserted into the console and flipping the switch.

FoodFight.jpg

Food Fight is a good game.  I have it CIB.  Also, like you said it's exciting getting a new cart.  Then putting it into the console and flipping the switch.  It's something special.  You don't get that with emulation. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, shane857 said:

The wireless gamepads looks great. For me thou personally, I need to be close to my Atari for difficulty switches and games that use the Colour/BW switch. You should always be close to your Atari..😂

I would probably buy the wireless gamepad and joystick if they had micro switches, maybe in a future revision..

Difficulty switches and Colour/BW switches on the actual joystick/controller..

I would probably still get up off my seat just to change them out of habit thou.. 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I would probably buy the wireless gamepad and joystick if they had micro switches, maybe in a future revision..

Difficulty switches and Colour/BW switches on the actual joystick/controller..

I would probably still get up off my seat just to change them out of habit thou.. 😂

I have prototyped a CX40+ micro switched Joystick and it was very very good, certainly a big improvement in directional movement feel over the regular CX40+. Of course, it's a far way from that original authentic feel of the CX40. The CX40+ mimicking the CX40 has been well received via community feedback and above expectation sales and that it sets a precedent, it hits a default standard you can build out from. I think that further different models of Joysticks and Gamepads like a micro switched CX40+ version are warranted because of this.

There is certainly enough potential buyers of a micro switched version of the CX40+M (provisional name!) to make it worthwhile 

It's just me finding the time to do it. I'd need to really finesse the design and that takes a lot of thought and back and forth with the factory. For example, I thought the prototype had switches that were too solid and definate, too loud! I would want to test the feel of the difference in resistance to directional presses with lighter switches like how a Sanwa JTF sticks feel over the prototypes heavier switches.

Plus theres things that you need to look at like the throw distance of the Joystick and the length of the activation point of a directional movement press. It's these differences that matter.

We'll see, thanks

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

No such thing as too loud. I want my controller clicks to wake the neighbors.

image.thumb.jpeg.3dc560810b0d806cfbb2bd44e705e3ff.jpeg

I've played a lot of videogames with Sanwa Joysticks and Competition Pro sticks. I just want to feel a CX40+ with really light micro switches. 

Tell you what we'll do. I'm going to find some time and do it, if you want you can be CX40+M chief tester. I'll send you prototypes and if it's a goer Ill do everything I can to bring it to market.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1