IGNORED

Food Fight - possible bad batch?

MantaNZ

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

If the above was done, more general thougths on it:

This is a toy for Gen X adults, I can't imagine that a seven year old got a Plus last Christmas day and that it's sat on 1.0 firmware. The game is out around now (or was due to be), so no kids Christmas was runined. Firmware will be out there and included in newly the manufactured consoles by the next Christmas. No loss.

Techy adults or at least adults own the Plus, they can be reached out to as noted above. There will always be whiners, some whine now.. they probably always will.

My thoughts exactly. Surely 99% of the purchasers are nerds like us and would be upgrading the firmware anyway. Either way, at least it's just the PAL carts and it was caught early. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MantaNZ said:

My thoughts exactly. Surely 99% of the purchasers are nerds like us and would be upgrading the firmware anyway. Either way, at least it's just the PAL carts and it was caught early. 

And.... PAL people have been trained to get a rough deal since... forever! We are tough.

Why change it 45 years later?

🤣😜

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

And.... PAL people have been trained to get a rough deal since... forever! We are tough.

🤣😜

Hahaha exactly!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

🤣😜

Not that I believe that my solution would be a raw deal.

Pull it, store it, launch it at a later date with a note on how to install the new streamlined and fully featured update. 👍🏻

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I pre-ordered Food Fight.  According to the compatibility list, it works on the Plus.  If the game won't work on the Plus with default firmware, I'll play it on my 7800.  It's good to have original hardware as a backup just in case.

You'll be fine as it's the PAL version that is being pulled. 

I actually already own a loose NTSC Food Fight, had it for ages, so I can play whenever I like. I just want the full CIB and to support new releases. Ironically I don't own Ninja Golf or Fatal Run carts so I'm still getting the 'new to me' carts anyway. No rush for Food Fight, I get it when I get it. 😊

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

New release date Jan 2025 on Amazon UK. I’m assuming if the PAL compatibility issue gets sorted this date will be brought forward.

Yeah I just got this email too and came on here to see what was up. I hope this does get resolved soon as I’m really looking forward to playing Food Fight on the 2600+ (I’m using the experimental firmware in PAL land and haven’t had any problems yet but I understand why an official firmware update has been delayed until there’s a foolproof solution to install it)

5 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, fellow PAL folk!!!

Everyone boo this man... The ultimate villain. I bet he works for Mattel or something. 😋

Edited by JetmanUK

28 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's good to know.  I saw someone post that it was just the PAL version as well.  On the Atari website, the cart doesn't say if it's PAL or NTSC.  So I assume the cart is region free.

Ben confirmed that they'd re releasing NTSC and PAL carts for 7800 versions, this seems to just be a PAL problem. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen the PAL cart, but there is likely nothing wrong with it (as it plays properly on an original 2600). You can use a debug version of the experimental firmware to confirm this via its hash value (MD5).

The original 2600+ firmware included a 10+ year out of date version of ProSystem that is still the version included with the RA ProSystem core today. If you attempt to run Food Fight PAL in the latest RetroArch it will freeze when starting the game. I don't see a path to resolve this issue without requiring the version of the ProSystem emulator to be updated (any recent beta or experimental build will work).

Chris. 

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, raz0red said:

I haven't seen the PAL cart, but there is likely nothing wrong with it (as it plays properly on an original 2600). You can use a debug version of the experimental firmware to confirm this via its hash value (MD5).

The original 2600+ firmware included a 10+ year out of date version of ProSystem that is still the version included with the RA ProSystem core today. If you attempt to run Food Fight PAL in the latest RetroArch it will freeze when starting the game. I don't see a path to resolve this issue without requiring the version of the ProSystem emulator to be updated (any recent beta or experimental build will work).

Chris. 

Just put a note in the box, how to update the 2600+ "if you do not use classic hardware" and get it sold.

The first day one patch for a 7800 game🤙

If there would be additional speed, I would rather buy an NTSC cart, as I have a PAL one already, therefore I did not preorder.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 5:34 AM, JetmanUK said:

How about you pull the release entirely and store them until the new firmware is in more consoles and is more known? Yeah there will be consoles out there on 1.0, but that number will get smaller and smaller as consoles will have been updated at home and new units sold will include newer firmware, didn't you say you are already shipping some with newer firmware anyway?.

Word of mouth should spread the fact that there is an update available, if it is put on socials and websites, store fronts, email newsletters and the biggy, YouTubers featuring it. Get Gen X Grown Up, Immortal John, Metal Jesus and the others who you sent a press console out to to do firmware & Fast Food video. Hold onto the carts for long enough and the video could be a general V2.0 official update video where it states all the improvements and that it is also required for Food Fight.

They could then be shipped back out with a note added that you must update, and by that time the update process may have developed into a more streamlined method.

I guess the worst part of this idea is that it costs money to store them, but surely less than shipping them back, fixing, repackaging and shipping again.

Also I do recognise that it goes against your thoughts that you don’t want someone to own a console on 1.0 and not be able to play a newly released game on it.

I mean, first of all, it's none of my business, they can do what they want and they know what to do.

But I can just say that there's already 50,000 units that were produced with the original firmware. At least that's what it looks like from the serial numbers.

So the idea that you would eventually have a larger number with an updated firmware with when it hasn't even gotten out of the experimental stage yet. And we're six months after release, That doesn't really seem very realistic.

Pretty much everyone is gonna have to use the update process whether they complain about it or not. I imagine that a very large percentage of people are not enthusiasts like us. And would be fine with just playing combat. And a couple of other games that run on the original launch system.

They may never even know to come to this place and find the update. Although a lot of people have talked about it on youtube, so I wouldn't be surprised if they find it from there.

Edited by tradyblix

On 6/14/2024 at 10:55 AM, raz0red said:

Chris. 

Not to Change subjects entirely, but is there a reason why your vastly improved build of prosystem hasn’t been incorporated into the RA source? Did they reject it, or just ignore it?

31 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Not to Change subjects entirely, but is there a reason why your vastly improved build of prosystem hasn’t been incorporated into the RA source? Did they reject it, or just ignore it?

The changes for the most part are identical to the source in JS7800 (just converted to C).

I have not put up a PR yet, as the changes are so vastly different from the current source, it would take some time to get it in the shape for a proper RA core update (some common features were bypassed to allow for a streamlined 2600+ implementation). 

Honestly, I think the better approach would be to create a different core altogether, much like what was done with the multiple Stella cores.

Chris.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raz0red said:

Honestly, I think the better approach would be to create a different core altogether, much like what was done with the multiple Stella cores.

From an end-user perspective, I think these multiple RA cores for the same emulator are pretty confusing. Also, I know for a fact that the Stella team doesn't like these multiple RA Stella cores, as they only support the newest Stella core. Maybe when creating a different core, you should give it a new name instead of ProSystem.

4 hours ago, Dionoid said:

From an end-user perspective, I think these multiple RA cores for the same emulator are pretty confusing. Also, I know for a fact that the Stella team doesn't like these multiple RA Stella cores, as they only support the newest Stella core. Maybe when creating a different core, you should give it a new name instead of ProSystem.

I find that for stuff like MAME, the multiple cores is absolutely necessary. But in the case of prosystem, the old version should be stripped out entirely as it's so incomplete.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet