IGNORED

Food Fight - possible bad batch?

MantaNZ

4 hours ago, Dionoid said:

From an end-user perspective, I think these multiple RA cores for the same emulator are pretty confusing. Also, I know for a fact that the Stella team doesn't like these multiple RA Stella cores, as they only support the newest Stella core. Maybe when creating a different core, you should give it a new name instead of ProSystem.

Yeah, that makes sense. I am just stating that it would be much easier to get something integrated with a new core versus trying to get it integrated and approved with the existing. I think a new name probably makes the most sense. But, I don't work on RA or the cores, so I could be way off.

Chris.

56 minutes ago, Beatley82 said:

Very pleased now that I managed pick up an original PAL copy of Food Fight for use on the plus before this re-released was ever announced 🙂

The re-release carts are identical to the originals. the problems that exist for the new PAL food fight cart users is the same for original 1987 carts.

1 hour ago, raz0red said:

I am just stating that it would be much easier to get something integrated with a new core versus trying to get it integrated and approved with the existing.

I would think it's the other way around. Adding a new core to RA isn't trivial, as you'll need to register your core using specific information, create documentation pages, get your repo cloned and integrated into the RA build server, etc. I recently did this for a new RA core (M2000) and it took quite some effort. 

But then, I don't know how much changes were done the the existing ProSystem code. Or was it a complete rewrite?

3 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

I would think it's the other way around. Adding a new core to RA isn't trivial, as you'll need to register your core using specific information, create documentation pages, get your repo cloned and integrated into the RA build server, etc. I recently did this for a new RA core (M2000) and it took quite some effort. 

But then, I don't know how much changes were done the the existing ProSystem code. Or was it a complete rewrite?

Yeah, just to reiterate, I don't work on RA or its cores. 🙂

But, the source has been being updated for 10+ years, so hopefully someone can pick it up at sometime.

Chris.

• Like 2

Sources for JS7800, including the same updates provided to 2600+, have been available for a long time.

Hopefully, seeing the improvements to 2600+, may inspire those with an interest in the RetroArch frontend and the cores it utilizes, to move forward with implementation.

Further, there is the idea for a name as well. Instead of utilizing the old core (name) 'prosystem', call the new core 'js7800', 'java7800', 'coffee7800', or '7800CupOfJoe".

Meanwhile, JS7800 can be utilized by anyone with a JavaScript supporting web browser.

Additionally, A7800 sources - offshoot of MAME sources - have been available for a long time too.   The RetroArch frontend utilizes multiple MAME sources.  Those who have performed the task of adding MAME sources to RetroArch, should have not too difficult of a task adding one more to that frontend.  It would be bring RetroArch near full 7800 support compatibility and system accuracy.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The re-release carts are identical to the originals. the problems that exist for the new PAL food fight cart users is the same for original 1987 carts.

Are they? ROM chips and all? That's cool - I had assumed they were using flash storage of some type, so that's nice to know!

3 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Are they? ROM chips and all? That's cool - I had assumed they were using flash storage of some type, so that's nice to know!

I think he meant the 'cart image' is identical to the originals.  I'm pretty sure the new carts are some type of eprom (I thought I read somewhere about having carts re-flashed).  Back in the day, the MOS technology group used a different rom technology - I think called 'mask roms'.  Those things are even more durable than a 78 Chevy Impala which explains why the vast majority of (non-mistreated) carts that are over 40 years old are still working.

Edited by kjames_s_2000

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Some are, some arent, depends on the game.

I opened a couple of carts this morning and found both.

image.thumb.png.4a88973c6017f2f18cbb0bb577196aac.png

I wonder what my two copies are... I ain't gonna open them, haha.

16 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

Apparently in Germany the shipping has not been postponed and I will receive my copy of the Food Fight on Friday

In Switzerland, Ninja Golf and CX78+ shipped today, Food Fight on Friday too.

I hope so, cartridge's ok, people only have to upgrade firmware (not only to play this game, a lot of games have issues with stock firmware).

On 6/17/2024 at 3:54 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

I meant because I can play it now on my 2600+ whereas had I pre-ordered the new release I'd be waiting longer still as the orders have been cancelled/postponed.

Edited by Beatley82

11 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I received the same one earlier too. 

I'm sure @Ben from Plaion will update us when he knows when it will release. 

I think I'm going to repack the carts with packaging that notifies the requirement of using software version 2.0 for Atari 2600+ consoles and send them back to retail with new release date.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I think I'm going to repack the carts with packaging that notifies the requirement of using software version 2.0 for Atari 2600+ consoles and send them back to retail with new release date.

Slap a sticker on those bad boys, they are in clear wrapping anyway so no damage, and they are good to go! 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

So I've just had the order cancellation notification from Amazon UK - are you going to relist it soon so we can order it again? :) (I also updated to the experimental firmware a wee while ago and was excited to play Pitfall II again :D )

Edited by Slider271

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yay!

EDIT: Actually, that means I won't have the limited special edition anymore. BOOOOO! :P

Edited by MantaNZ