IGNORED

Why is the Amico considered to be a modern console?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

I dunno, the Amico has to exist first.

The likelihood of this thing actually releasing is almost zero at this point in time, that I don't disagree with, what I find amusing is why is the thread dedicated to this thing placed in the modern gaming discussion board, this should be relegated to the off-topic general chat board and that's already being extremely generous. 

Edited by JPF997

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

The likelihood of this thing actually releasing is almost zero at this point in time, that I don't disagree with, what I find amusing is why is the thread dedicated to this thing placed in the modern gaming discussion board, this should be relegated to the off-topic general chat board and that's already being extremely generous. 

If you feel that way, why did you create a thread in the Modern Console section? Shouldn't this be in off-topic using your own logic?

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

36 minutes ago, Jess Ragan said:

Are we gonna have to start referring to it as "the conceptual Amico" now?

We could also go with "the hypothetical Amico". 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

On 7/8/2024 at 2:57 AM, CPUWIZ said:

Doesn't that make it exist?  Maybe you should say "The idea of an Amico console fits into..."?  :P 

On 7/8/2024 at 3:05 AM, Jess Ragan said:

Are we gonna have to start referring to it as "the conceptual Amico" now?

On 7/8/2024 at 3:43 AM, CPUWIZ said:

We could also go with "the hypothetical Amico". 🤷‍♂️

Schrödinger's Amico

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/7/2024 at 9:32 AM, JPF997 said:

why is the thread dedicated to this thing placed in the modern gaming discussion board, this should be relegated to the off-topic general chat board and that's already being extremely generous. 

Because retro Intellivision enthusiasts around here were pretty much all in due to the fact it had the name Intellivsion. It was predominantly talked about under the Intellivision forums. Myself and @digdugnate were told we were wrong in essence for suggesting that Amico discussion should move by some of the entusiasts.

Skip years ahead to it being blatantly obvious they were backing a scammer and failed console idea. They wanted it purged from Intellivision to act like they weren't giddy with excitement at Amico or got pissy when others tried to legitimately discuss the console. Well got pissy at any discussion beyond fluffing the salesman who was all talk and no substance. Some of those enthusiasts still think the company are good guys despite them literally lying about pretty much everything from the get go and holding people's preorder money hostage.

It belongs in the Modern section. The only way it wouldn't is if it was a Flashback type device which it isn't. The games might not be high quality, but they are still new games.

Now from the stuff I've heard through the grapevine, Tommy wanted it to be retro, but other people said they'd not make enough money and wanted to target a wider audience. Basically they didn't want to be niche. Then it turned to the idea of it being the best family console ever. If you see the initial pitch it's obvious it was meant to be retro, but they did quickly pivot the message.

There was also talk at one point that someone was in on a conversation Between Mike Kennedy and Tommy where Tommy and Mike were discussing the Amico and RetroVGS concept. Allegedly this all took place before Kennedy even attempted to do the RetroVGS. It's hard to say if that is true, but there is definitely a lot of overlap between the ideas/execution of the two. 🤷‍♀️

4 hours ago, Zeptari said:

Schrödinger's Amico

That cat is most definitely dead. 😵

• Like 4

15 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Because retro Intellivision enthusiasts around here were pretty much all in due to the fact it had the name Intellivsion. It was predominantly talked about under the Intellivision forums. Myself and @digdugnate were told we were wrong in essence for suggesting that Amico discussion should move by some of the entusiasts.

Skip years ahead to it being blatantly obvious they were backing a scammer and failed console idea. They wanted it purged from Intellivision to act like they weren't giddy with excitement at Amico or got pissy when others tried to legitimately discuss the console. Well got pissy at any discussion beyond fluffing the salesman who was all talk and no substance. Some of those enthusiasts still think the company are good guys despite them literally lying about pretty much everything from the get go and holding people's preorder money hostage.

It belongs in the Modern section. The only way it wouldn't is if it was a Flashback type device which it isn't. The games might not be high quality, but they are still new games.

Now from the stuff I've heard through the grapevine, Tommy wanted it to be retro, but other people said they'd not make enough money and wanted to target a wider audience. Basically they didn't want to be niche. Then it turned to the idea of it being the best family console ever. If you see the initial pitch it's obvious it was meant to be retro, but they did quickly pivot the message.

There was also talk at one point that someone was in on a conversation Between Mike Kennedy and Tommy where Tommy and Mike were discussing the Amico and RetroVGS concept. Allegedly this all took place before Kennedy even attempted to do the RetroVGS. It's hard to say if that is true, but there is definitely a lot of overlap between the ideas/execution of the two. 🤷‍♀️

When was it moved to the modern gaming section?  There was an issue that people were posting in the one giant thread instead of making separate topics. Yes, most new Amico threads would have been off-topic in the classic section. Further, a lot of the people posting in that thread were new to Atariage and were staying in that one thread. Moving it to a separate section was to encourage people to create separate threads.

In the reveal presentation, which happened to be to a retro audience, while they did list lots of retro remakes, they said the plan was that most games on launch would be "brand new". There was no mention of emulated retro games. The  press release at the same time described the proposed system as a "family home video game console", "that parents want to buy". It talked about everyone including gamers and non-gamers being able to play with friends, "...focused on familiy with kid friendly games". It's possible initial internal discussions started as a retro only console but it's clear that they decided on the family and casual gaming console concept prior to the initital reveal.

Edited by mr_me
  • Confused 1

I was excited after the reveal…but all that excitement went away after learning of the pivot to “Wii 2.0”. Disgust sat in after interaction with Tom here on AtariAge. 

All i wanted was some cool updated INTV classics….sigh.

• Like 1