IGNORED

Two-Player Kiosk

jaysmith2000

My normal way to hold a rotary is to hold it flat like a normal Jag pad, supported entirely in my right hand, and turn the knob with the thumb and first two fingers of my left hand. This is a quite precise grip, and when more speed is required, easily shifted to the second grip pictured, which isnt really a grip at all, but just rolling the side of the knob along your little finger and the side of the palm (or even up the wrist sometimes hehe)

How about modifying the design to incorporate a five speed gearbox?

ROFLMAO yeah right, in a standard Jag controller case?

Besides, while your fumbling with the gear stick you'd be dead, there's no time for a complicated control interface in Tempest lol.

ROFLMAO yeah right, in a standard Jag controller case?

Besides, while your fumbling with the gear stick you'd be dead

Ah, but you could design a Procontroller version which uses the shoulder buttons as F1-style paddle shift selectors! This would then select an appropriate multiplier for the bit stream coming from the rotary encoder! All electronic...

Ultra cool - I think the only places I ever saw those Kiosks was Federated - or some Tandy corporation owned superstore.  That Kiosk looks in great condition.  Is it an actual Atari demo item?
Hi!

Thanks. The kiosk is an original store display unit, but the mods (different arms and additional wood shelves) were done by myself and Jayson (the previous owner),-respectively. :)

Cool stuff Saturn.....I love the dual rotaries, very unique!  

Jason

Thanks!

Now, if I can con the little wife :love: into playing, I should be good to go. :D

Hehe she's not a fan of fast techno or seriously hardcore manic shooters then? Bah, what'd you marry her for? :P

Two player Aircars :lolblue:

Jason

Thanks!

Now, if I can con the little wife :love: into playing, I should be good to go. :D

Hehe she's not a fan of fast techno or seriously hardcore manic shooters then? Bah, what'd you marry her for? :P

Ah, you should have got a Stone instead, much more fun for Aircars, no home should be without one.

Jason

Thanks!

Ah, you should have got a Stone instead, much more fun for Aircars, no home should be without one.

Heh, Stone rules. His comical description of multiplayer Aircars was what made me want to check it out.

And his signature is a riot. LOL! :D

You should have been there, 'twas the funniest game I've ever played, we couldnt stop cracking up.

I can imagine :)

I need to gather with four friends and see what it's like. Noone that I've talked to locally (except maybe one or two) even knows what the Jag is. :(

@Saturn

That dual rotary kiosk looks amazing! :)  

Are you going to keep it that way?

Hey, JagWarlord! Thanks :)

I made two other interchangeable standard controllers for it. They're spread out on the other pages. There's a total of four controllers in all. This has been a work in progress that stemmed from an idea and discovery after jaysmith2000's initial post.

It's actually morphed into a third thread, a kiosk restoration process as K3V finishes replacing the remaining parts to get his back to its original gleaming condition. 8)

The kiosks, as far as I understand it, were store display units and don't have "kiosk" written anywhere.

For anyone who was keeping up with this thread and looking for resources, I actually managed to track down the exact same type of sheath for the controller cable (wire rope) that the kiosk manufacturer used.

There were several different sizes of these things and I went with one a wee bit larger than the originals to compensate for the larger diameter wire rope supports I used. I snipped the smaller end off these to make them the right length. They're perfect. :D

I found them at a place called TSC (Tractor Supply Co.). It says on the receipt, "Tube Grain Drill" :ponder:

Drill? :?

Here they are:

post-2188-1070071609_thumb.jpg

Wow, great match there Saturn!

Hey, I've got a question on the keys used for the kiosks. Were they all the same? Because I don't have the key for mine and I won't be able to put the plexi in place because it's in the closed position.

If they're all the same, can I convince anyone who actually has one to make me a copy? I would pay for it, of course. :)

Wow, great match there Saturn!

Hey, I've got a question on the keys used for the kiosks. Were they all the same? Because I don't have the key for mine and I won't be able to put the plexi in place because it's in the closed position.

If they're all the same, can I convince anyone who actually has one to make me a copy? I would pay for it, of course. :)

Hey, K3V!

I'm not sure if they were all the same. I've got one key to mine and it has "Fort Lock-Chicago, Illinois" inscribed on it along with some numbers. I'll go first thing in the morning and see if anyone can duplicate it. Might be difficult since this doesn't resemble a typical key type but maybe I'll get lucky. If it can be copied, I'll send one your way. 8)

Here's a shot of the under side with the rotary controller in the center. I have some of the cord hidden inside the sheath so there's not a ton of it in the small space seperating the upper and lower halves of the kiosk. That didn't matter when it was single player, but the excess of both cords tends to fill it up rather quickly. 8)

post-2188-1070074346_thumb.jpg