IGNORED

2600+ power supply

chriswhit

So I’ve tried a few power supplies and some work somewhat okay and wondering if the one in my pic will work? Also what’s everyone else using? Has anyone played around and seen if game compatibility is better or different with different power supplies? Mostly noticed the last to be a thing with some of my power bricks but that could be some carts drawing more an an inadequate power supply. 

IMG_7168.png

I've read that more powerful power supplies can be problematic. I have an Alkin 20W power supply that does not work with it, while the Samsung branded 1.5A (7.5W) power supply that came with my Samsung Tablet works fine.

As for that one you have pictured, unless you're planning on using it for other things, it's overkill. Hopefully someone will be able to recommend something that's readily available that they know will work. Unfortunately, the only aftermarket charger I've purchased is the Alkin one mentioned, and it doesn't work. Thankfully, I didn't buy it for the 2600+. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chriswhit said:

So I’ve tried a few power supplies and some work somewhat okay and wondering if the one in my pic will work? Also what’s everyone else using? Has anyone played around and seen if game compatibility is better or different with different power supplies? Mostly noticed the last to be a thing with some of my power bricks but that could be some carts drawing more an an inadequate power supply. 

IMG_7168.png

IIRC the power draw is <5w for the 2600+. 

I always use the TV or monitors USB socket to power my 2600+ units. 

• Like 2

Tried my tv and wouldn’t boot any games not even the Atari released ones. I tried a 5amp surge protector and about 1/4th of list will boot but not all my new releases Atari sent. All my games are well cleaned and boot in all 6 of my other consoles. With my my high speed c charger different games boot than with the surge protector power supply and why I’m looking for something that truely works. I’m hoping to not have to have a half dozen power supplies and a list of what games boot with which ones

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Most of the cheap, old USB power supplies you have in your drawer should do, even the USB output from a TV does. There is no reason to buy a new one.

Well I must just have a defective unit then cause I’ve tried so many and barely have any game compatibility and different supplies give me a totally different compatibility. What works with 1 game doesn’t work with the others and when I switch I loose compatibility with games that just worked. I’ve had this for a while just been busy so warranty is most likely expired. I wonder if I have a firmware issue

18 minutes ago, chriswhit said:

Well I must just have a defective unit then cause I’ve tried so many and barely have any game compatibility and different supplies give me a totally different compatibility. What works with 1 game doesn’t work with the others and when I switch I loose compatibility with games that just worked. I’ve had this for a while just been busy so warranty is most likely expired. I wonder if I have a firmware issue

I can have a look at it, please DM me.

Pretty sure I power mine using an old Apple iPad Air power charger block. It has been great for powering pretty much anything I've needed with the exception of my original ColUSB adapter.

I found out today, that it does not seem to like a USB-C to USB-C cable at all, it is completely wired (all 12).  Doesn't turn on at all, using the original cable with the same power brick is fine.  So it seems it has no Q/C logic to ask for the proper voltage from USB-C.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I found out today, that it does not seem to like a USB-C to USB-C cable at all, it is completely wired (all 12).  Doesn't turn on at all, using the original cable with the same power brick is fine.  So it seems it has no Q/C logic to ask for the proper voltage from USB-C.

Yes, the USB-C port of the 2600+ is actually an USB-A port in disguise.

I found out when I tried an USB-C OTG cable. Did not work. But an old USB-A OTG cable combined with an USB-A/C adapter works.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Yes, the USB-C port of the 2600+ is actually an USB-A port in disguise.

I found out when I tried an USB-C OTG cable. Did not work. But an old USB-A OTG cable combined with an USB-A/C adapter works.

Indeed, I just verified this in the schematic for the control board. 👍

Rev.B manual addition - Only use a USB-A to USB-C cable to power the console.

• Like 1

I'm continually surprised by questions regarding power supplies. With all mini consoles over the last, I dunno, years(!) I have always used my TV's (various makes and models, not just one) USB ports and never had one single problem. I don't want any of these boxes to ship with a PSU, it's wasteful. TV USB ports have always been 100% successful for me. I dunno, maybe I've just been super lucky. 🤷🏻

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Just plug it into your TV's USB socket. Problem about power supplies solved. 

Not all TV's provide the same amount of power, many are limited to 500mA, so I am not buying that.  If you can charge an iPad on your TV, you are fine.

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Not all TV's provide the same amount of power, many are limited to 500mA, so I am not buying that.  If you can charge an iPad on your TV, you are fine.

I'm not sure what ipad you've been running but modern iPads need way more power than the 2600+ does. 

There is NO way I could charge my 11" M4 iPad Pro from a TV, but the 2600+ runs off it just fine. I mean I haven't tried, but even if it could work it would take WAY too long.

I charge my iPad with a 40W power supply, it does USB C to USB C power delivery. It also came with a brick that I haven't used yet. 

Edited by tradyblix

2 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I'm not sure what ipad you've been running but modern iPads need way more power than the 2600+ does. 

There is NO way I could charge my 11" M4 iPad Pro from a TV, but the 2600+ does it just fine. I charge my iPad with a 40W power supply. 

Uh, yeah, not the M models. LOL

Have you actually stressed it, like using a rapid fire adapter in port 1 and a AtariVox in port 2, as well as a Harmony in single game mode at the same time?

Your TV obviously has enough AMP's.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

According to my dead cheap Keweisi KWS-10 USB power detector, the 2600+ draws much less than 500mA at 5V. Any USB port has to provide that much.