IGNORED

New Atari 7800+, Wireless Controllers and 2600/7800 Games Announced

Albert

Oh man!

I'm intrigued.  To be clear,  Do I wish they did this as an FPGA console?  YES!   But the style looks Fantastic!  (And sure, they reissue games I already got haha)...Anyway,  this time I will take the plunge!

It looks Great!  Thanks ATARI!  And Al and Ben, and Bob! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, johnnywc said:

I worked about 2 weeks on the updates to Conquest of Mars to revert it back to Caverns of Mars (what I originally programmed back in 2005 for Legacy Engineering / Atari).  The games are basically the same with updates to the title screen and graphics to match the original 8-bit version plus the Recharged logo (thanks to @Nathan Strum), changes to the difficulty levels so the lower skill levels like NOVICE and PILOT are more accessible to beginners (as Conquest of Mars was a bit too difficult on the lower skill levels), and some bug fixes.

Hope that helps!

John

Thank you for this detailed explanation! I’m very excited for this physical release. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, they'll roll out internationally from today, similar retail distribution as 2600+.

Plaion Nordic will have stock for retail.

I am at Checkout, but get this:

IMG_0921.thumb.jpeg.ac1e91a2f9c39c810e3fc6a76db1b114.jpeg

I have ordered quite a lot of hardware stuff from around the globe the last 10 years through ebay or smaller e-stores (including AA), and I very rarely encounter my address as not being eligble for some type of shipping.

Is this a temporary limitation, or should I wait for import by third party dealers, or ask friends & aquaintances to be my shipping-address?

Or… have I missed out on some core stuff on some menu or option…?

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

@Albert please tell me that this ad will be available as a poster. I have to add this to my Atari room.

image.thumb.png.d4094259d735e19421c71beafef68e87.png

The ad poster for this is simply beautiful, really digging the synthwave vibes.   

As for the machine itself I'm definitely interested in it, but first I wanna learn more about the  improvements this console will have in the emulation quality over the 2600+,  I also wanna know more about the new hardware specs  and if they can  handle the more demanding homebrews made by the community over the years.

Edited by JPF997
  • Like 3

Great news, awesome new games to play! Like or loathe Atari, they are giving the retro followers some nice new toys.

Is the 2600+ still getting an upgrade though, read on the board somewhere it will be sold as a rev2?

While the 7800 will have its fanbase, never seen one in my life and still a purist here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Albert said:

Yes, we do, along with Miner 2049er. 

..Al

This is interesting news because I was thinking why bother with the sequel if I don't have the first one?  I did once.  My only experience of Miner 2049er is the Colecovision version and I wasn't a fan. I love platformers but this game wasn't for me.  I'd like to think maybe it was just the CV version and not the game itself.  Bounty Bob moves so ridiculously fast in it and with the need for precision timing, the game was frustratingly hard.  I've seen videos of other versions where he doesn't seem to move so fast and maybe he doesn't in the sequel for the 7800. I also found the tight time limits for each screen to be a bit stressful.  So maybe it isn't for me or maybe I just had a bad experience with the CV version.  I am tempted though.  Especially if a 7800 version of Miner 2049er is eventually released.

20 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

I also wanna know more about the new hardware specs  and if they can  handle the more demanding homebrews made by the community over the years.

Reading whats said here and trying to read a little between the lines, I’d assume its the latest 2600+ emu build, meaning it wouid plays every 7800 homebrew except Rikke & Vikki and Petschii Robots, and most 2600 titles.

I hope they also will update the firmware for 7800+ from time to time.

(lols - almost every fw or os gets updated these days, even a bit overmuch, but some handy updates for topnotch performance won’t hurt here)

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

Fantastic, I look forward to picking one up, for the convenience of HDMI alone. 

They should partner with Analogue to do high-end FPGA versions of these consoles after the run of these accessible/affordable emulation machines is complete. 

Random question:  Does the version of Bently Bear that comes with the console include the upgraded sound chip that would work on the + systems and an original 7800? 

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Fantastic, I look forward to picking one up, for the convenience of HDMI alone. 

They should partner with Analogue to do high-end FPGA versions of these consoles after the run of these accessible/affordable emulation machines is complete. 

Random question:  Does the version of Bently Bear that comes with the console include the upgraded sound chip that would work on the + systems and an original 7800? 

The Pokey chip.  A source of joy and frustration for all of us 7800 owners.

13 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Yes. 

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Analogue and affordable simply do not go hand in hand. I do agree that they should do an FPGA version but I gather that’s not in the cards. To offset the Analogue cost issue, there are plenty of talented, capable and most likely willing people here in the AA community that could help develop such a thing for the cause.

Without trying to sound ungrateful for their current efforts because it actually is cool and applause worthy, I do ultimately feel that going the FPGA route is exactly what they should have been doing with any and all of these console/computer re-creations to begin with. Then top off the RAM to technical limits of what the MARIA would have been capable of as well as integrating POKEY into the hardware. This would not only play literally everything that currently exists but also allow a pathway for homebrewers to develop new and boundary pushing games on the very consoles we all love. Would have really solidified the + in that regard. Who knows, maybe that is part of the plan on the current platform and if not, could probably be added by way of a firmware update. 

From a financial standpoint, I realize it makes sense to leverage identically capable hardware for multiple platforms to drive costs down. But given these type of things are capable of generating a million dollars+ in sales, it does deserve the extra care and attention to detail in such a way. Just my opinion though. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DaveM said:

Tried to pre-order, and it says they don't ship to Arizona.  WTF???  Hope that gets fixed.

Anyone who is having this issue, please send me your shipping address via PM so I can pass that along for troubleshooting.  Edit: It would also be helpful to see a screenshot of your shopping cart.  

Thanks, 

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Albert said:

Anyone who is having this issue, please send me your shipping address via PM so I can pass that along for troubleshooting. 

PM sent.

Thanks for getting into fixing this.

I feel like a Beta-orderer!

If I do Beta-ordering enough, do I move up in ranks to early-access Play-tester…🧐😁?

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Giles N said:

PM sent.

Thanks for getting into fixing this.

I feel like a Beta-orderer!

Thanks for the information, you cannot place an order for these items from Atari.com for international destinations presently.  A list of international retailers is forthcoming. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

Thanks for the information, you cannot place an order for these items from Atari.com for international destinations presently.  A list of international retailers is forthcoming. 

..Al

Ah - that would go a long way to explain it…

(Hope I’m moving up in some rank-system by this 😇😂 , and ahem, not flagged somewhere as some troublemaker.)

Edited by Giles N