IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

I think one thing we can all agree on, it's pretty amazing that the vast majority of these carts still work after 40+ years.

I'm just glad that we've got shiny new hardware to breathe life into the old gems 

I can very much agree on this because it makes it less hard to experience these things.

Sure your cartridge has survived 50+ years... but i havent, i want bleep bloops damn it! I want conveinent access to bleep bloops!

25 minutes ago, garyd97 said:

I was really excited for this, until I saw it was the European version. Hopefully the version released in the United States comes out also, controllers included.

I mean it's basically the same, except instead of a thick rainbow stripe you have a very thin one and the word prosystem on the left. I'm pretty sure people will develop an aftermarket kit to modify it. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garyd97 said:

I was really excited for this, until I saw it was the European version. Hopefully the version released in the United States comes out also, controllers included.

Ngl as a long rainbow enjoyer, i kinda wondered why we never got the european design, honestly i hope its at least an option when you purchase... but either way regardless of region...

Long Rainbow forever!

• Like 2

Looking forward to this as I have always liked the 7800 styling.  Will pick one up at some point to compliment my 2600+ and original 7800.

Some interesting releases on the game front as well although I wish they were also releasing the version of Asteroids that was built into European 7800's.  Would have also saved money if it had been the pack-in title as it wouldn't have needed the cost of a cartridge.

I wonder if the future might bring an XE+ or Lynx+ console.  That would be very cool.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

One big difference! The controller ports and switches including the difficulty switches are all in the FRONT!!!! THATS AWESOME!

That is actually a really good reason to get one. Now if we can get confirmation Star Raiders is playable it’s a done deal for me 😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zonie said:

Save your rolleyes. I saw this which was much more prominent:

HOMEBREW ELEVATION

This game version was developed by a talented member of Atari’s homebrew community. Now it is getting a well-deserved official Atari release.

Those weren't "rolleye".  This :roll: is rolled eyes.    Ponder eyes :ponder: is what I posted. 

I went to the page and saw what is listed and read first, the homebrew developer's name being mentioned for every game page listed.

Scrolling downward, later on, for each game page, there is another section which just mentions the statement without a specific name. 

No big deal and obviously the homebrew developers are mentioned by name, just not in every section of the same page. ;)

2 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

Ngl as a long rainbow enjoyer, i kinda wondered why we never got the european design, honestly i hope its at least an option when you purchase... but either way regardless of region...

Long Rainbow forever!

I'm fine with the "bolder" Euro design.  To me, it screams audacious 80s more.

• Like 4

On 8/20/2024 at 6:47 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

There are some differences, for one the 7800+ comes with the new cartridge socket (and so do newly manufactured 2600+) plus there are some changes to the dumper/controller chips and how they work. I'll be providing more details as we go along.

Hey Ben,

Will the new cartridge socket accommodate my "Evil" Rampage cartridge that caused such chaos last year in Portland?  LOL.  

-Chad

17 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I'm fine with the "bolder" Euro design.  To me, it screams audacious 80s more.

I like the centered, bigger atari logo more. And the 7800+ branding. Prosystem was always a source of derision from NES fans, so happy to leave it 

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2024 at 9:17 PM, tradyblix said:

Btw I gotta say, the "new" (?) art on the 7800 games looks fantastic. 

I was disappointed with the new Bounty Bob art. If it's not by Scott Ross, it just looks wrong to me.

37884-1.jpg

• Sad 1

Yikes!  TMI here.  IMO some downside is not compatible with the original hardware.  Can't play with a CX-10 or basic CX-40 nor Trackballs? I am old school and prefer that my Atari equipment to be something tangible.  Sure, emulation is nice for most people, however the nostalgia factor of something you can feel in your hands just can't be duplicated.  I am on the fence with this item & happy with my Retron 77 as it is PAL compatible.